Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
America's love affair with the automobile has a new spark — a renewed affection for U.S.-made cars after a long dalliance with foreign automakers.

Slightly more Americans now say the United States makes better-quality vehicles than Asia does, with 38 percent saying U.S. cars are best and 33 percent naming autos made by Asian countries, according to an Associated Press-GfK Poll.
Poll: Americans again prefer U.S.-made cars - Autos- msnbc.com

As an American who cares about the U.S. economy and the American auto industry, I think this is great news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,141,781 times
It's all because of Howie Long

Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
It's all because of Howie Long
I prefer Mike Rowe as a spokesperson.

But honestly, origin of manufacture is last on my list of priorities when I go car shopping. It's all about finding the best car for the money, no excuses. I am glad, though, that American carmakers are stepping up their quality recently; they've always had a likable sort of "character" to them, and now they can be the sound practical choice as well.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Lets take a poll during the time a large foreign manufacturer is making recalls left and right and see how meaningful those numbers are. Although domestic manufacturers are certainly improving, the others aren't going anywhere. If anything, this will be a great benefit to the consumer because stiff competition tends to produce superior products on both ends.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM

13,634 posts, read 10,038,405 times
And so they should.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
The domestic brands are improving greatly and listening to their consumers. Look at any number of new vehicles produced by the big 3 particularly Ford and GM.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 AM

279 posts, read 760,338 times
I definitely do agree that the Big 3 have come a long way in what they are offering in the past few years - especially Ford and GM. Aesthetically at least, there are some really nice looking cars from these manufacturers available today, the only things that really worked for them were trucks and SUVs. I think it's yet to be determined how much the reliability has also improved with these new models, but I believe there will be improvements in this area too.

But I think this article is kind of misleading talking about US-made cars and gives the impression that if it's not made by the Big3, it's imported. The majority of the non-US brands on the road in the US are made right here too - most Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, Hyundais, Kias as well as the SUVs from BMW and Mercedes are made here, providing American jobs and giving tons of work for suppliers located in the US as well. For the most part, the only cars that aren't made here and imported are some of the luxury and sports cars (i.e. Lexus / Infiniti sedans, Toyota Supras, Nissan Skyline, etc.) as well as the non-SUV vehicles from the German automakers.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Ford is really helping to spearhead this. I'm absolutely impressed with the Ford Fusion and Taurus. I'm glad they took their focus of the SUVs while making their trucks with great quality like always.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
with the new fors line up they are on par with japan and german cars for fit and finish GM is still behind on interior finish and dodge really has some of the worst fit and finish but has the best styling with the ram and the challenger and they have the 390HP 5.7 hemi that is standard on most models is amazing for a truck the supercharged lighting trucks of the 00's were running the same numbers

Old 04-22-2010, 05:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
with the new fors line up they are on par with japan and german cars for fit and finish GM is still behind on interior finish and dodge really has some of the worst fit and finish but has the best styling with the ram and the challenger and they have the 390HP 5.7 hemi that is standard on most models is amazing for a truck the supercharged lighting trucks of the 00's were running the same numbers
I'd check out the new Lacrosse and CTS if you don't believe the fit-and-finish is that of any Japanese/German counterpart. I think the Lacrosse has one of the nicest interiors on the market bar none, full of soft-touch materials and very nicely stitched leather! It blows away the Lexus ES350 in my opinion. Read some of the reviews, they praise it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive