Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Well may I add just one more? Just get off the gas and coast. That usually sends a passive message to go around. Any other fancy or cunning aggression could jeopardize, if you care enough, the safety of nearby vehicles, any passengers you have and even yourself! Stay calm and remember, public roads are not NASCAR.
This right here says it all. Some people seem to have difficulty with this concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Again, I don't block the left lane for reasons ranging from amusement at someone so addicted to speed that they just HAVE to be in front to the purely selfish realization that if they're rushing ahead, even though chances are extremely good we'll both end up at the same place at the same time, if not they'll pick off the cops (who do enforce the speed limit sometimes, you know) and I won't have teo worry about them.

However, I'd like you to explain to me again how, if no one is breaking the law, anyone going the speed limit in the left lane is responsible for someone else tailgating them?

This sounds a whole lot like trying to say that a tailgater is not responsible for their own actions and that they are so helpless to control themselves that someone else, the person who is obeying the law, MADE them tailgate. The same with road rage; no one makes you rage, you are simply descending to the level of a two-year-old not getting their own way and, like it or not, YOU are responsible for that, not anyone else. Unless you're really saying that you have the emotional capacity of a two-year-old, in which case you shouldn't have a driver's license.

When you get behind the wheel of a car, you are responsible for your own reactions and actions out there on the public roadways. Not anyone else, no matter what they do. Anyone who can't grasp that isn't competent to be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle on a public road (though I grant you there are plenty out there that are, sad to say).
I've already told you. Everyone is speeding (or as you say, "breaking the law"). The number of people speeding is overwhelming. There is nothing the police can do about it. There are not enough cops to do anything about it. This is the reality, thanks to states that underpost speed limits on too many roads. When the law is unreasonable, people disobey it. It's the adult thing to do. The childish ones are the ones who cling to the law, no matter how stupid it is and then start screaming at everyone else and trying to make everyone else do what you want. It's not your job to enforce the law, so get out of the way. Let the police enforce the laws. The reason you are frustrated is that they aren't doing it. Quit taking the law into your own hands. Let the government either fix it, or figure out how to enforce it. Until then, stop blocking the left lane.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Get there a few hours before the game. Bring plenty of meat and charcoal. Not too much booze. That's my technique for tailgating.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I've already told you. Everyone is speeding (or as you say, "breaking the law"). The number of people speeding is overwhelming. There is nothing the police can do about it. There are not enough cops to do anything about it. This is the reality, thanks to states that underpost speed limits on too many roads. When the law is unreasonable, people disobey it. It's the adult thing to do. The childish ones are the ones who cling to the law, no matter how stupid it is and then start screaming at everyone else and trying to make everyone else do what you want. It's not your job to enforce the law, so get out of the way. Let the police enforce the laws. The reason you are frustrated is that they aren't doing it. Quit taking the law into your own hands. Let the government either fix it, or figure out how to enforce it. Until then, stop blocking the left lane.
So, by your own reasoning, are YOU going to quite screaming at everyone else to move over and let you have the left lane?

If not, how is it any different at all? Here's hint: it's not one whit different except that YOU want to speed and you want everyone else to get out of your way and you don't want to acknowledge that you're doing something wrong. Which would REALLY be the adult thing to do. Disobeying a law because you think it's stupid is the exact opposite of the adult thing to do.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
However, I'd like you to explain to me again how, if no one is breaking the law, anyone going the speed limit in the left lane is responsible for someone else tailgating them?
They aren't. I'll tell you what that person going the speed limit in the left lane is responsible for though in many circumstances. If you are going the speed limit in the left lane, next to a car in the right lane also going the speed limit, and there are no cars in front of you in the left lane, you are responsible for creating a very dangerous situation on the road, quite a lot more dangerous than speeding up for a few seconds (and gasp! breaking the law!) and getting around that car in the right lane.

Been reading this thread on and off for a while. I believe the point some are trying to make in this part of the discussion is that it is much more unsafe to block the left lane at the speed limit than it is to speed up and clear the left lane. The speed that other drivers wish to drive has ZERO bearing on this. It is a simple matter of the person in the left lane doing something unsafe. Note: tailgating is also quite unsafe. I am not defending that one bit.

There's very little more unsafe though than a bunch of cars packed up together because someone won't clear out of the left lane. It increases the potential for a multi-car accident immensely, even in the unlikely event that no tailgating is going on. The vehicle at the front of that pack in the left lane is the one particularly responsible for jamming it up.

I always want to smack the people who slow down while they are passing another car on a multi-lane highway. What you should be doing is the same thing you do when passing on a two-lane road in a passing zone: speed up and get around as quickly as you can! Why does that instinct go out the window for so many people on multi-lane highways?

If anything happens in front of you that you have to react to, and you are driving directly next to some other car, you have greatly decreased the possibility that you will be able to avoid a crash. Driving next to or near a car is where you should feel most unsafe. On my way in this morning I had TWO different cars try to change lanes, actively started to move over, while clearly not being aware that I was there. TWO near collisions (note, at 65mph highway speed) because of clueless drivers within 5 minutes! All I wanted to do was get away from other cars where I could be safer! And yes, if I sped up to 75mph for a bit to achieve that, I believe that was safer. You can't have a multi-vehicle accident if you are not around other cars. More importantly, the other idiots are not there to drag you into a wreck if you are not near other cars!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
If I'm driving down the road and come upon a car going slower I signal and move into the right lane.

Before I cam complete my pass you and your pack of cars gain on me and are now behind me.

You expect me to speed up for you.
To bad.
I'll complete my pass in a safe manner and move back over to the left lane then you can pass me.
Just because you want to go faster does not give you the right-of-way.

If there is a dangerous situation you created it by fallowing to closely with your pack in tow.
You too can show some respect and common sense and wait your turn.

Don't try to make your problem mine, it doesn't work that way.

Do you walk down the sidewalk this way too.
Walking on the persons heals in front of you and trying to push them out of the way. Do you cut in front just to get to the door first?

The data yielded a number of interesting findings; in particular, there were significant differences in driving behavior between drivers characterized as high hostile and those characterized as low hostile. For example, when drivers in the high hostility group were blocked by other vehicles, they responded by driving much closer to the blocking vehicles than drivers in the low hostility group.
http://www.its.umn.edu/Publications/...l.html?id=1740

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-14-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If I'm driving down the road and come upon a car going slower I signal and move into the right lane.

Before I cam complete my pass you and your pack of cars gain on me and are now behind me.

You expect me to speed up for you.
To bad.
I'll complete my pass in a safe manner and move back over to the left lane then you can pass me.
This is the description for when you're in the UK or similar drive on the left country, right?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
I seriously think that the safest thing to do is follow the flow of traffic.
*Driving* too fast or too slow is a hazard.

Last edited by C8N; 11-14-2012 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Drinking too fast or too slow is a hazard.
Yes, I agree! You might spill your drink (too fast) or it might get warm (too slow).

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes, I agree! You might spill your drink (too fast) or it might get warm (too slow).
lol... damn.... i guess its been a rough day for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive