Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:04 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,249,463 times

Advertisements

I have a class IIII/V on my truck but you need a full frame for that and a 7.3L Diesel! Just remember not to overdo it with the 4 cylinder FWD. Smart guys know their limitations "a mans got to know his limitations". Clint Eastwood said that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,157 times
An Accord certainly isn't the best thing to be towing with....the rear suspension just isn't up to it.

Whatever you consider buying, make sure the saleman knows you plan on towing at least a Class I (light trailer). You can buy those small trailers which fold-up for storage.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
An Accord certainly isn't the best thing to be towing with....the rear suspension just isn't up to it.

Whatever you consider buying, make sure the saleman knows you plan on towing at least a Class I (light trailer). You can buy those small trailers which fold-up for storage.
The trailer he is thinking about isn't so bad. The guy at the lake that thinks he can tow a 18' bassboat with his Accord is another story!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
I guess I just figured the car is designed to carry the weight of 5 people, and I'd just stick the weight behind on a trailer rather than inside. Not knowing much about cars, is this not the right way to view it? Would I have any problems with three to five hundred pounds?

I'm not planning on starting a landscaping business out of my Accord or anything, just the semi-monthly snag off of Craig's list.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I guess I just figured the car is designed to carry the weight of 5 people, and I'd just stick the weight behind on a trailer rather than inside. Not knowing much about cars, is this not the right way to view it? Would I have any problems with three to five hundred pounds?

I'm not planning on starting a landscaping business out of my Accord or anything, just the semi-monthly snag off of Craig's list.
The hitch that will fit your Honda will more than likely be a bumper mount. Three to five hundred pounds shouldn't be a problem if you center/distribute your load properly. It's how sturdy is that bumper is the real question? Also that tranny/engine and chassis was never designed to tow with. You need to make sure you take it easy or you will be tearing stuff up. Light duty towing isn't a problem but don't try to pull pick-up duty with it!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,157 times
I thought you said you were about to trade the Accord.

Do take into account the tongue weight of the trailer empty as well as the load itself.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
The hitch that will fit your Honda will more than likely be a bumper mount. Three to five hundred pounds shouldn't be a problem if you center/distribute your load properly. It's how sturdy is that bumper is the real question? Also that tranny/engine and chassis was never designed to tow with. You need to make sure you take it easy or you will be tearing stuff up. Light duty towing isn't a problem but don't try to pull pick-up duty with it!
bumper mount? this isn't a pick-up. the bumper on the OP's car is just a plastic shell over some impact foam. the hitch will likely attach to the unibody.

Texascrude, check your owner's manual. It should tell you whether or not Honda recommends you use your vehicle to tow. As to the logic that carrying the same weight in a trailer as you would IN the car is equatable.......not quite. Yes, the engine will work about as hard, but what you need to worry about is the suspension. Towing will put more weight on the back end of the car and may make it do funny things going down the road.

2RUGGED4YOU is right, though. With enough weight, you'll need to be mindful of the wear and tear on the transmission. This goes for any towing/hauling vehicle, but especially FWD automatics. If yours is a manual transmission, you'll be a bit better off.

That being said, if you're just towing the occasional light load from Lowe's or something to that effect, I would say you're probably OK. I have a 2009 Scion xB (MTX) that I use to tow a little 4x7 drop-back trailer from time to time. The heaviest thing I've ever towed was my motorcycle (maybe 500 lbs), and it had no issues. The trailer has been SUPER handy. I used to be one of those guys that thought I would always need a truck for stuff like this, but the trailer has proven itself time and time again as the smarter way to go. It's cheaper, easier to stow, and allows me to not have to drive around an empty bed for the 99% of the time I don't need it.

Mike

Old 06-01-2010, 07:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
You might also just want to consider having the bulk of the stuff you need to buy delivered and then renting the truck that Lowe's/Home Depot has available when you need to do those trips. If you are going to a furniture/appliance store, most of them offer delivery and most will do it for free if you buy over a certain amount. Having it delivered also beats having to carry it all. If you aren't driving around to a bunch of flea markets and consignment shops you probably really don't need to haul anything yourself. Just add up the cost of delivery and an occasional truck rental and compare it to the cost of buying the trailer/hitch.

Also, if you do go the trailer route, I would strongly suggest looking at a small crossover SUV for family duties since you are getting rid of your car anyway. Everything from the CR-V to the Equinox and Escape to the RAV4 can all be equipped to tow and a lot of them come with recievers when you buy them. Good for the kids, good on gas and very flexible.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
bumper mount? this isn't a pick-up. the bumper on the OP's car is just a plastic shell over some impact foam. the hitch will likely attach to the unibody.

Texascrude, check your owner's manual. It should tell you whether or not Honda recommends you use your vehicle to tow. As to the logic that carrying the same weight in a trailer as you would IN the car is equatable.......not quite. Yes, the engine will work about as hard, but what you need to worry about is the suspension. Towing will put more weight on the back end of the car and may make it do funny things going down the road.

2RUGGED4YOU is right, though. With enough weight, you'll need to be mindful of the wear and tear on the transmission. This goes for any towing/hauling vehicle, but especially FWD automatics. If yours is a manual transmission, you'll be a bit better off.

That being said, if you're just towing the occasional light load from Lowe's or something to that effect, I would say you're probably OK. I have a 2009 Scion xB (MTX) that I use to tow a little 4x7 drop-back trailer from time to time. The heaviest thing I've ever towed was my motorcycle (maybe 500 lbs), and it had no issues. The trailer has been SUPER handy. I used to be one of those guys that thought I would always need a truck for stuff like this, but the trailer has proven itself time and time again as the smarter way to go. It's cheaper, easier to stow, and allows me to not have to drive around an empty bed for the 99% of the time I don't need it.

Mike
to mike you listen eh? remember that when you put five people in the car, the weight is distributed fairly equally to each corner. however with a trailer you are essentially using a lever behind the rear suspension, thus the more weight you put in the trailer, the more weight you take off the front suspension, and in the case of a front drive car you not only lose steering authority, but you lose drive traction as well.

i have used sedans to tow much heavier loads, but those were V8 powered cars, and even then i had a few issues that is had to deal with, like longer braking distances, slower acceleration, etc. for your honda i suggest keeping the total loaded trailer weight below 600lbs, even my 64 falcon (six cylinder/3spd trans) can pull that. also when you load the trailer, be careful in how you load it. you want to have about 10-15% of the trailer weight on the hitch, maximum.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Mike
If you do mount to the unibody, make sure you use at least grade 8 hardware and washers. I would get extra thick washers to help from the bolts pulling through the holes. I am not familiar with how sturdy this steel or how thick it is on Hondas. Just be careful and use your head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive