Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm not too sure how serious I am but ive thought about a career change. I'm a 26 yr old college graduate who's thought about becoming a pilot would be a fun profession. It seems like its definitely a lot of work, and was
curious what your opinions might be. I also feel I'm starting to get at that age where I might be too old.

Just a little background, I studied marketing and communication and have other various knowledge (real estate, CDL license). I've achieved some goals, even working my way into professional sports but money and the lack of good jobs available has been difficult.

Ive done just a general search but it seems like the solid route would be joining the air force. But is it worth it all? It seems like its a very competitive market as well. I think the main thing that's appealing is: a new challenge that could really pay off in the long run, I'm in good physical shape/ good eyesight and have a college degree.

When it's all said and done, I don't wanna be
Switching my career all over again. A commercial airline sounds appealing, but idk how hard this really is. Id say I'm above average smart but definitely not the lawyer, medical studious type. So if the workload required is similar to those areas, maybe it's not for me.

Feel free to throw more questions at me. Thanks for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 11:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
I am retired from the Army. My wife and I are Private Pilots. I have met a variety of "Pilots" over the years. I know several retired military pilots, none of which became airline pilots. They either went with Government Service or Defense Contractors... Three career Airline Pilots which I have been close friends with for over 20 years wee not Military Pilots... I have met many military pilots who just did not have the flying enthusiasm my wife and I had...

"Switching my career all over again."? What makes you think staying in the same career your whole life leads to guaranteed success and hapiness? But it depends on you...

Go talk to all the recruiters.... Know any real military people? Go talk to them....

Good luck to you....

Rich

Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
yeah my dad is actually retired army. i'll have to keep researching it a little bit.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:49 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You're at the upper age bracket for flight training, I was about your age when I entered USN flight training. That 4 years age difference older than most others was noticeable (to me anyway) in physical training and academics both (I'd been out of college 3 years and was weak in Math as it ws). I really struggled in that training.

This was 1980 so things may have changed.

The urban legend is that military aviators transition to commercial jobs. That is more myth than reality, especially now with airlines facing financial difficulties.

And do you really fly this

Boeing 747

instead of this

or this

F15 Eagle

?

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-24-2011 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: pics didn't show

Old 11-25-2011, 10:25 AM

110 posts, read 292,714 times
I agree with speaking to a recruiter. I know that the guidelines for getting into OTS (officer training school) have gotten more strict. If you didnt keep your grades high in your undergrad you may not even get to that point. Also if I am not mistaken being a pilot in the USAF is also pretty competitive, especially depending on what you want to fly. That all being said, I have several friends that are AF pilots and they are almost NEVER home. If you plan on starting a family soon (or have one) be prepared for that aspect.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
OP- Send me a Private Message if you have questions. I'm an Air Force recruiter. Our Pilot applications have about a 45% selection rate, much higher than many realize. You need to have graduated with a 2.5GPA, and you'll take two tests- the AFOQT and TBAS.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM

358 posts, read 711,050 times
I think you should first ask yourself if you want to be a military officer. Don't enter this life/career soley because your fixated on a certain specialty. Some people begin but don't make it through pilot training. Some people make it through but don't the get aircraft they wanted. Many pilots do an assignment or two in a cockpit and then have to switch to a desk job or working with ground troops. Some are being moved over to operating drones. What I'm saying is there is a bigger picture to consider. Having said all that, I would highly recommend you compete for OTS if you think you have any chance of getting it. Last time I checked there weren't many careers out there with old-school benefits and a pension at 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation