Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,819 times

Advertisements

Dear Aviation & History Enthusiasts,

My father - Flight Captain Erich Warsitz - is remembered as the first person to fly an aircraft under turbojet power, the Heinkel He 178, on August 27, 1939 and also the first to fly an aircraft under liquid-fueled rocket power, the Heinkel He 176, on June 20 the same year, setting two milestones in aviation history.

Late in 1936 he was seconded by the RLM (Reich Air Ministry) to Wernher von Braun and Ernst Heinkel, because he had been recognized as one of the most experienced test-pilots of the time, and because he also had an extraordinary fund of technical knowledge. Little is known of this pioneer period because of the strict secrecy which shrouded the whole project!

You will find a lot of information about Erich Warsitz and his achievements under [color=#800080]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Warsitz. There is also a video of the He 178 with audio commentary by my father, inclusive written translation in English, [urlittle unfortunate that the He 178 quite often doesn't get the recognition it deserves. After all, every other turbine propelled aircraft that has graced or is now gracing our skies has, at best, come second place to it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFirstJetPilot
Fly safe,
Lutz Warsitz

Last edited by Thyra; 11-18-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Fixed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM

594 posts, read 1,779,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warsitz View Post
Dear Aviation & History Enthusiasts,

My father - Flight Captain Erich Warsitz - is remembered as the first person to fly an aircraft under turbojet power, the Heinkel He 178, on August 27, 1939 and also the first to fly an aircraft under liquid-fueled rocket power, the Heinkel He 176, on June 20 the same year, setting two milestones in aviation history.

Late in 1936 he was seconded by the RLM (Reich Air Ministry) to Wernher von Braun and Ernst Heinkel, because he had been recognized as one of the most experienced test-pilots of the time, and because he also had an extraordinary fund of technical knowledge. Little is known of this pioneer period because of the strict secrecy which shrouded the whole project!

You will find a lot of information about Erich Warsitz and his achievements under [color=#800080]
Erich Warsitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There is also a video of the He 178 with audio commentary by my father, inclusive written translation in English, under http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFirstJetPilot#p/u/3/nneZgRkpskU

It's a little unfortunate that the He 178 quite often doesn't get the recognition it deserves. After all, every other turbine propelled aircraft that has graced or is now gracing our skies has, at best, come second place to it.

Fly safe,
Lutz Warsitz
Lutz,

Thanks for posting your interesting article. By coincidence I saw a recent documentary on the Hiistory channel, tracing the history of German aviation in the 1930s/40s. If I recall correctly, a man by the name of Volker(sp?) designed the first German jet engine of that period. I believe it mentioned that it was the engine used in the He-178 and later in the Me-162 fighter. Of course, at the close of WWII American and Russian forces raced to obtain the personnel and technology behind German aviation. Later, this same German technology, appearing remarkably alike in the form of the MiG-15 and F-86 Sabre, fought over the skies in Korea.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM

594 posts, read 1,779,016 times
Correction: I was obviously wrong in my attribution of the name of the inventor of the first German jet engine. That should have been Hans Von Ohain. Interestingly, Hans Von Ohain and Sir Frank Whittle of Great Britain both designed jet engines unaware of the work of the other. The following link gives some interesting information:

The History of the Jet Engine - Sir Frank Whittle - Hans Von Ohain

Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Documentary History Channel

Hi John,

many thanks for your interest and the link about Whittle and von Ohain!

Unfortunately I did miss the documentary on the History Channel! Is there a way to see it on the web or see it again in the future on the History Channel?

Best wishes from Switzerland,

Lutz

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlUk-WWCPa0
Let's see if this link works.
It is a very interesting one, anyway

Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi Trudy,

the link is working, many thanks!

Are you also living in Switzerland?

Tanti cari saluti dal Ticino,

Lutz

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
No I don't, but hope to visit someday

Last edited by Thyra; 11-19-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Hi warsitz

From your information I recently came to know that Flight Captain Erich Warsitz is the first person to fly an aircraft under turbojet power. Really it is a matter of proud for a person as always he will be remembered in the aviation and history. If you can provide some real pictures of your father during their flight then it will be more interesting to watch.

Thanks

aerocinema.com

Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 PM

815 posts, read 1,544,156 times
The Chinese legend speaks... One Chinese official has sat down on a sheaf of rockets and has departed upwards... After that official nobody saw...

Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,790 times
Quote:
The Chinese legend speaks... One Chinese official has sat down on a sheaf of rockets and has departed upwards... After that official nobody saw...
Myth was tested....indeed, after the smoke cleared from the final blast crash test, dummy and chair had indeed vanished.
Pieces of them were found later scattered about.

belated congrats to Erich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation