Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
A morning flight is far more likely to have people who want to sit up straight and get some work done, something that can't be done the moment seatbacks start going down. On a redeye, 90% of the people are going to have their seats reclined.
The very early flights (before 7:00 am) will have well over half the passengers snoring before the plane reaches cruising altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
True, repeatedly slamming my seat back into their legs for the rest of the flight might be a better alternative.

By the way, I would have contacted the FA as well and told her that you were being rude and vulgar. My guess is that he or she would agree, and you could just as easily end up on the "No-Fly."
If that's after the slap, you'd be too late.

The best alternative in that situation would be to apologize and keep your seat in the "upright position" for the remainder of the flight as the lady in did in the actual situation.

Quote:
I am slow and careful about reclining, but I do recline. I have some jerk behind me in first class complain about it a few months ago. Seriously, some people need to get a life.
Occasionally, I recline my seat as well; however, I always ask the person seated behind me if it's okay (unless they're napping or sleeping). For all I know, they can be doing anything from working on a humongous laptop that barely fits on the tray to building a "house of cards", so it just makes sense to check first. Air travel these days can be somewhat stressful for everyone involved and a little common courtesy and consideration for one's fellow passengers can go a long way.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
If that's after the slap, you'd be too late.

The best alternative in that situation would be to apologize and keep your seat in the "upright position" for the remainder of the flight as the lady in did in the actual situation.
I'm going to recline--slowly--if I want to sleep. I generally sleep on planes. So I generally recline. I'll continue to do so until they take away the recline option. If someone doesn't want a recliner in front of them they should book a bulkhead seat. Problem solved.

Quote:
Occasionally, I recline my seat as well; however, I always ask the person seated behind me if it's okay (unless they're napping or sleeping). For all I know, they can be doing anything from working on a humongous laptop that barely fits on the tray to building a "house of cards", so it just makes sense to check first. Air travel these days can be somewhat stressful for everyone involved and a little common courtesy and consideration for one's fellow passengers can go a long way.
Which is why I recline slowly. By the way, unless you are obese, you can put your laptop on your uh, lap, and it gives you a lot more room.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,266 times
Quote:
I'm going to recline--slowly--if I want to sleep. I generally sleep on planes. So I generally recline. I'll continue to do so until they take away the recline option. If someone doesn't want a recliner in front of them they should book a bulkhead seat. Problem solved.
Unfortunately, bulkhead seats aren't always available when booking and some have drawbacks, such as "no underseat carryon storage", "limited legroom", "fixed armrests", "proximity to the lavatory and/or galley", etc. If you wish to sleep on a plane, you can learn how to sleep sitting in an upright position or book a seat in the last row of the section. Problem solved.

Quote:
Which is why I recline slowly. By the way, unless you are obese, you can put your laptop on your uh, lap, and it gives you a lot more room.
With a little "know-how" and a discreetly-placed water bottle, paper clamp, paper clip, plastic card, inflight magazine, etc. or a "Knee Defender", the passenger sitting behind you can preemptively impede your "option to recline."

It only takes a few seconds for a person to look behind, check, and inquire before reclining a seat on a plane. That way, one will know if they're dealing with a "road warrior" that's trying to do work on a laptop, a 6-foot plus person that has already has almost no knee room, a child that's being entertained by an iPad that's propped up against the seatback, a senior citizen that's eating a carry-on meal before or after the regular meal service, etc.

While "laptop" computers were designed to be portable, most of them weren't designed to be used comfortably on one's lap.
Why using a laptop on your lap is a bad idea | ITProPortal.com
Warning from Apple: don't put our laptops on your lap

Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Kind of like the airlines that require obese people to buy two seats if they can't physically fit in one. Sucks that you're tall, but it's really not the other persons fault. Sucks that I've got a bad back and am likewise in physical discomfort sitting up completely straight, so yeah I'm going to lean my seat back a little bit even thought it really chaps your ass that you only care about your legroom and not how damn uncomfortable for the person in front of you it is to sit at or beyond 90 degrees completely upright with their seat completely up right.

It's no an unpredictable event. We all know that airline seats are small for normal-sized people, which you are not. Either upgrade or just deal with the fact that the space occupied by the seat in the fully upright and fully reclined positions isn't your space; It's shared space. I'll generally be more considerate of the space issues if I'm around large specimens of human kind, but not deferential to the point they get 100% of the shared space, especially if they have an attitude of entitlement. Also pick your flights. A morning flight is far more likely to have people who want to sit up straight and get some work done, something that can't be done the moment seatbacks start going down. On a redeye, 90% of the people are going to have their seats reclined.
Excellant post. I paid for the seat and I'm going to use it...the reclining part as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, bulkhead seats aren't always available when booking and some have drawbacks, such as "no underseat carryon storage", "limited legroom", "fixed armrests", "proximity to the lavatory and/or galley", etc. If you wish to sleep on a plane, you can learn how to sleep sitting in an upright position or book a seat in the last row of the section. Problem solved.

With a little "know-how" and a discreetly-placed water bottle, paper clamp, paper clip, plastic card, inflight magazine, etc. or a "Knee Defender", the passenger sitting behind you can preemptively impede your "option to recline."

It only takes a few seconds for a person to look behind, check, and inquire before reclining a seat on a plane. That way, one will know if they're dealing with a "road warrior" that's trying to do work on a laptop, a 6-foot plus person that has already has almost no knee room, a child that's being entertained by an iPad that's propped up against the seatback, a senior citizen that's eating a carry-on meal before or after the regular meal service, etc.

While "laptop" computers were designed to be portable, most of them weren't designed to be used comfortably on one's lap.
It's not uncommon for flight attendants to ask passengers to stow their knee defenders. Airlines do not like them and generally follow a policy of "a passenger has a right to recline the seat they paid for."

If you are tall, it's your responsibility to book with a carrier that can offer you a suitable seat pitch, be that in economy or a premium (economy +, business, first) cabin. Seatguru is a fairly decent (though not always perfectly up to date) resource for airlines and their seat pitches. For domestic flights, I'd recommend JetBlue for the 34" seat pitch, assuming that most of the posters here are economy class flyers. For comparison's sake, Delta seat pitches are 30-32.

If you guys want to blame someone for "sardine can" seat configurations, blame the travelling public. The US populace is so anti-airline and staunchly refuses to accept price increases commensurate with the increase in cost (fuel, catering, new planes, ground services, staff wages etc). "Those greedy airlines" actually are working extremely hard for what meagre profits they can eke out from $700 RT fares from the US to Europe.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not the one who has the problem, so I have no need to solve it.

Quote:
My carrier of choice does not allow that type of shenanigans.

Quote:
I am a "road warrior"--120K miles last year, 102K this year. All of those things can be done with the seat in front of them reclined, they don't go back all that far.

Quote:
Those are all "long term" situations, not the two hours you'd have it on your lap on a flight. Big difference.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
I find some of the answers on this thread both interesting and sad. It's interesting that some are willing to "go to the mat" for their perceived space rights instead of thinking about some type of compromise like finding a seat position that's comfortable for BOTH people.
Following some statements on this so far naturally brings up the other question "is the person in the middle seat entitled to both armrests"?
What if you're bigger and need them? What if they're bigger?
What's next? Fighting over peanuts?

Y'all do realize the airlines are looking into how to change some flights to standing room only? That should make the anti-recliners happy, no seat to recline you stand the whole flight.
Understand one thing, the airlines are going to tighten things up as far as they can before there's a passenger revolt and head count drops. If they can cut that extra inch they will because at the end of the plane that gives them another paying butt in a seat.
Want to solve this seat thing? Quit flying except for essential trips.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I find some of the answers on this thread both interesting and sad. It's interesting that some are willing to "go to the mat" for their perceived space rights instead of thinking about some type of compromise like finding a seat position that's comfortable for BOTH people.
Following some statements on this so far naturally brings up the other question "is the person in the middle seat entitled to both armrests"?
What if you're bigger and need them? What if they're bigger?
What's next? Fighting over peanuts?

Y'all do realize the airlines are looking into how to change some flights to standing room only? That should make the anti-recliners happy, no seat to recline you stand the whole flight.
Understand one thing, the airlines are going to tighten things up as far as they can before there's a passenger revolt and head count drops. If they can cut that extra inch they will because at the end of the plane that gives them another paying butt in a seat.
Seriously, the seats recline so little that it's just not the issue that many make it out to be.

As far as someone needing the armrest because they are bigger, I don't subscribe to that. If they are too big to fit into their seat without taking space out of another, they need to buy two seats.

There will never be SRO flights, that's a marketing gimmick that RyanAir came up with just to get their name back into the press.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Bingo. I live in PA, my mother in DE, and my sister and her family of six live in Alabama. When my mother and I go to see them now, we drive. It's a 16-hour drive. We usually do two days there and one day back. It's a bit of a pain, but it's infinitely preferable to being herded like cattle through airport security lines, being electronically groped by scanners, and then crammed like sardines into a plane (and paying for the privilege). Even with the cost of gas and a hotel room, we save money and aggravation.

When I do have to fly, I don't put my seat back. As an adult, I'm capable of thinking about how annoyed I get when someone reclines their seat in front of me, and am able to empathize with the person behind me as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation