Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Had to sit in front of a mother with two little kids on a 14 hour flight. Needless to say the back of my seat was constantly being kicked by the little kids every 2 seconds for 14 hours straight. Serenity now. How do you go about telling off little kids without sounding like an a##hole?
Just turn around and tell the kid if he kicks your seat one more time you're going to pour ice cream all over his face and make him eat it all!!!

Seriously, there really isn't anything that can be done. I've been there too. Sometimes just a glance back with a smile, letting them know by the look that you are being kicked, but that you aren't angry. The mother may, if possible, get the kid to not kick.

Otherwise, just grin and bear it, understanding that the kid is not intentionally doing this. If you get mad, the mother will defend the kid, and you'll have a more uncomfortable flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,179 times
That's a tough one. I guess I'd go the turn around with a nasty look route. If that didn't work, well, I guess I'd either give up or try to get another seat.

The last time I had to fly all the way across country I sat next to a couple with a baby that was maybe 6-8 months old. The baby was actually amazingly good and the parents were blessedly responsible. Towards the end of the flight I ordered a beer from the flight attendant (I always treat myself to one if I have to fly across country). The couple payed for my drink! I guess they felt bad about my having to sit next to them with the baby, but really, there was no need for that, their kid was great.

I tend to allow leeway for kids under 1, maybe 1 and a half. They're just too young to understand what's going on, and if their ears are popping there's just not much you can do about it. After that, the kid should be old enough to obey his parents (though 14 hours is definitely quite a haul for a little one) and be relatively good.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
I sat next to a 9 year old whose parents dumped her in coach while they sat in first class. It was a flight from LAX to OGG.

Fortunately she was a sweetheart. And her dad gave her a credit card to buy some food.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM

162 posts, read 359,082 times
You say nothing to the mother, instead, ask the flight attendant to be reseated. If nothing is available, ask the flight attendant to let the mother know of a complaint from another passenger. But truthfully, when you booked your flight, you risked sitting near a child, just like I risk sitting next to someone who body odor or who snores.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I usually ask the flight attendant to get reseated.

Even if I talk to the child, it might stop for a while. But is still loud and obnoxious withouth the kicking and mothers are often just as bad with their overly loud voices.

I don't find it fair that about 20 passengers can't sleep in an overnight flight because of ONE mother who can't get her child to behave. There should be either no kids on planse (yay!) or an extra section for them (far away from me).

Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
I was on a flight a number of years ago and the same thing happened to someone across the aisle from me. I got up to use the restroom and when I came back I could sense something was wrong so the person beside me told me there was a HUGE blowout with swearing and physical activity etc. that invovled 3 flight attendants stepping in to get it stopped.

The couple being bothered by the kids were very trashy looking and possibly "druggies" (let's just say they'd seen better days) and obviously not parents themselves and they had zero tolerance, but the mom of the kids didn't think her kids were doing any wrong.

Needless to say it made for a rather tense rest of the flight.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Had to sit in front of a mother with two little kids on a 14 hour flight. Needless to say the back of my seat was constantly being kicked by the little kids every 2 seconds for 14 hours straight. Serenity now. How do you go about telling off little kids without sounding like an a##hole?
This is why God created Xanax!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
If you know you have a long flight like 7 or more hours the odds are you probably will be stuck by some kids.

Kids can't control themselves on long flights no matter the age. Well up to about 12. Go to the dollar store and grab a dozen little toys, boy, girl, different ages. They only cost a buck. See if the Mom will let you and give out one every hour to the kids. Or get up and ask the flight attendant to give it to them if you think you would be labelled a creeper. It keeps them busy and happy, no matter what the toy is, it's just a break from the boredom. This worked with mine going on our 8 to 10 hour trips until about 10 years old. After that, dvds, music, books and little crafts worked well.

Be nice, the Mom is fried and the kids are fried. You're not going to get any peace anyway, might as well join the fray. This too shall pass.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Yeah, Kids don't bother me at all, I actually rather like them.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Why should I entertain anybody else's kids and even spend money on them? Thats the parents job!!!

I find it ignorant and selfish when parents expect everybody should be on their kids schedule because they can't control them. I have seen parents calming kids down, it IS possible! But mostly the parents either dont give a crap about being noisy or they KINDLY ask their children in an overly loud voice to be quiet about 30 times within 5 minutes which drives me even more nuts as the kids themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation