Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times

Advertisements

If you are a Airplane re-possessor I have these questions for you.

So what is it like?

How much do you make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewstibbe/2011/06/24/airplane-repo/ 600-900K per job, but we are talking about Multimillion dollar planes, For your 50K SE plane, maybe 2K (or less).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1808720/ was on discovery few years ago,

Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
They mentioned the fee on the show 'Airplane Repo' a few weeks ago. They said the usual rate is 10% of the book value of the plane. For a large airliner that is a heck of a haul. Even for a smaller Beechcraft that can be a decent haul. Then again, you have to take in to account all of the out of pocket expenses these guys have to shell out. They might be flying all of the country looking for a plane. I'm sure that eats into the profit fairly significantly.

I'm still amazed by the fact that most planes don't have any sort of security on them. No key, no pass code, nothing. I guess the theft rate is low enough to not warrant such measure but it still surprises me.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 10-19-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
They mentioned the fee on the show 'Airplane Repo' a few weeks ago. They said the usual rate is 10% of the book value of the plane. For a large airliner that is a heck of a haul. Even for a smaller Beechcraft that can be a decent hall. Then again, you have to take in to account all of the out of pocket expenses these guys have to shell out. They might be flying all of the country looking for a plane. I'm sure that eats in to the profit fairly significantly.

I'm still amazed by the fact that most planes don't have any sort of security on them. No key, no pass code, nothing. I guess the theft rate is low enough to not warrant such measure but it still surprises me.
How many people could steal a plane successfully without getting killed in the process?

Pretty sure jets have locks on the door.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
How many people could steal a plane successfully without getting killed in the process?

Well, if you ever watched the show "Airplane Repo" apparently few if any jets have locks. They usually just walk right up to the plane and open it up. This seems to be common even on some of the large commercial sized jets. There was a case last year were a guy did attempted to steal a regional jet and was almost successful. I guess they rely on airport security to protect the planes, but at many airports security is either a joke or non-existent.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
How easy is it to break into?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:26 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Other way around.

No commerical aircraft have locks or anything, although most small privately owned aircraft do.

Most corporate jets have locks on the cabin and baggage doors as well due to the nature of the airports they often overnight at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
How easy is it to break into?
Allow me to also share with you these nuclear launch codes I found lying around whilst we're at it.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Well, if you ever watched the show "Airplane Repo" apparently few if any jets have locks. They usually just walk right up to the plane and open it up. This seems to be common even on some of the large commercial sized jets. There was a case last year were a guy did attempted to steal a regional jet and was almost successful. I guess they rely on airport security to protect the planes, but at many airports security is either a joke or non-existent.
The guy who drove away in the RJ wasn't really trying to steal it but instead inflict some pain on somebody...he was a qualified pilot on that aircraft, and had he wanted to steal it (and it was parked in a location that he easily could have) he would have just taken it.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:37 PM

251 posts, read 522,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Other way around.

No commerical aircraft have locks or anything, although most small privately owned aircraft do.

Most corporate jets have locks on the cabin and baggage doors as well due to the nature of the airports they often overnight at.

All commercial transport planes ("airliners") have secure, locking cockpit doors. An aftereffect of 9/11...
Most but not all corporate size planes have exterior door locks.
Almost all small planes have door locks.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I heard that many reality shows are scripted. Then again I am sure that Airplane Repo is the real deal. (I have watched it a few times myself.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation