Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
All batteries can auto-ignite. Be careful how you store them.

Lithium batteries caused at least one other crash due to a fire. I don't know why they allow them as cargo in passenger planes.
I don't know if they're allowed in cargo. They are not allowed in checked baggage, so I'd suspect they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:56 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Apparently because some unknown debris was spotted on a satellite.
The Southern Ocean is full of crap. Is the search based on information about the plane's flight path, wind and currents? The flight was headed toward the Indian Ocean when they lost contact. It's hard to believe that debris from the crash could have traveled that far.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:10 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,211,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Don't know if this plays in but here is what they are now saying:
Also keeping in mind this is the UK Daily Mail..lol

Missing jet WAS carrying highly flammable lithium batteries: CEO of Malaysian Airlines finally admits to dangerous cargo four days after denying it | Mail Online
A Ups 747 crashed in Dubai in 2010 due to a lithium ion battery fire in the cargo hold. It was UPS flight 6 if you are interested in googling.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:30 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,817 times
At the end of that article, it states that the oxygen masks would've dropped down and that those masks have microphones in them.

From the article:

Quote:
A second reason that throws doubt on a cargo fire scenario is that the pilots of MH370, if they followed proper emergency procedure, would have both been using emergency oxygen masks, protecting them from toxic gas. “There are microphones in the masks, so they would have advised air traffic control of their intentions as they attempted an emergency return,” he says.
The lack of a "mayday" or other communication of any kind, the turning off of the transponder, the manual input of a change in flight path, and the fact that the plane--if I have this right--was flying low to the point where it would evade radar, is not sitting right with me. If there is an emergency such as a fire, why would a pilot change the altitude to the point where it avoids radar--for seven hours? What would be the point of doing that?

Those types of batteries are used in cell phones and laptops. They're hazardous, but it would seem like a lot of trouble to go through to steal some lithium batteries. Again, the thing that casts doubt for me about a mechanical failure or fire are the evasive maneuvers used.

From the same article:

Quote:
The one question raised about the two passengers travelling on stolen passports has been cleared indicating that they were planning on illegally claiming refugee status in another country, probably Germany.”
So those individuals weren't high-value targets. The IBM worker was a technical storage executive (link). Any value in that?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:07 PM

335 posts, read 410,052 times
Yes even before 45,000 feet the 02 masks would have deployed (I believe as the 777 has a safe ceiling of around 38,000-40,000) One problem is the flow is only operational for 20 minutes. Some speculate that the plane was hijacked to Pakistan . We armchair experts (not) wonder if the 79 ft. piece of debris and a second debris 40 miles away were purposely decoyed to distract other alternatives? Unfortunately, many experts believe the passengers and crew were incapacitated ran out of fuel and are in the depths. of the Indian ocean?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't know if they're allowed in cargo. They are not allowed in checked baggage, so I'd suspect they are not.
The article said the airline CEO checked the packaging on the battery cargo several times to make sure it met safety regulations. So it means they're allowed, if certain requirements are met.

I can't believe they loaded a plane with hazardous material that can auto-ignite. Maybe after previous tragedies relating to this type of battery, the industry came up with stricter packing rules. But still.

On the other hand, how are they supposed to ship the batteries, then? There's no safe way to ship them; not by truck, train, plane or freighter.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Certainly NOT on a plane with 239 innocent people on board !

Old 03-21-2014, 02:22 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
Is there anything specific that would cause a battery to auto-ignite?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,465 times
I cannot keep up with all the different ideas and theories, and I believe we may never know exactly what happened. But given that so many different plausible theories have been generated, do you think this case will lead to any changes in flying procedures?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I cannot keep up with all the different ideas and theories, and I believe we may never know exactly what happened. But given that so many different plausible theories have been generated, do you think this case will lead to any changes in flying procedures?
If anything a dedicated gps needs to be installed in the tail of every commercial (passenger and freight) plane flying IMHO - there is really no reason it does not exist today and buried in the tail so it cant be messed with in flight - with some form of battery (no lithium I suppose) backup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation