Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times

Advertisements

I am really disgusted with the media's response to this whole thing. People criticize Malaysia but they are clearly out of their league so what do you expect. But the big media organizations who should know better, are not doing their homework and are engaged in shoddy reporting and unsubstantiated rumor mongering. They grab any untested, unsubstantiated theory off the web and present it as truth. Worst example of this is how many news orgs have latched onto the Chris Goodfellow report and played it up as "expert pilot viewpoint that solves this thing", without any fact checking to see if it really holds water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 09:56 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am really disgusted with the media's response to this whole thing. People criticize Malaysia but they are clearly out of their league so what do you expect. But the big media organizations who should know better, are not doing their homework and are engaged in shoddy reporting and unsubstantiated rumor mongering. They grab any untested, unsubstantiated theory off the web and present it as truth. Worst example of this is how many news orgs have latched onto the Chris Goodfellow report and played it up as "expert pilot viewpoint that solves this thing", without any fact checking to see if it really holds water.
It really shows that the media are more about entertainment than thoughtful analysis, investigation and factual reporting.

Does anyone watch non-USA TV channels? I noticed during 9/11 that the factual reporting was coming out of Canada and Univision. The US/English lang. outlets switched from facts to propaganda and war-mongering pretty quickly.

Great map post, TwoByFour. I haven't heard, until your post, any mention of the fact that the plane's course was changed at around 2:15 am. So that was programmed into the computer, over-riding the westerly course?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Sociopath vs. Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There's still no accounting for the calm "good night" some time after the plane had already started to turn, nor the failure of multiple signalling systems at about the same time, including mechanisms to deal with fire ...... nor the fact that it maneuvered quite a lot before going south.

Actual 777 pilots have said it couldn't have been a fire. Not just small plane hobbyists, but real 777 experienced pilots.

I think it's safe to say that it's some kind of terrorism. If the co-pilot were both suicidal AND homicidal, there would have been some sort of indication in his life.

However I can't even imagine why terrorists would spend so much time and money on simply making it disappear, when it could have been crashed into something with more effect.

A sociopath is capable of killing you, then sitting on your body and eating your lunch; a crazy person is capable of anything. Lots of sociopaths out there.

Why did the jet fly somewhere off the map, we guess, for 5 more hours? INSURANCE. Depending on the insurance policy and when it was made, even the family of a suicide can collect insurance proceeds. But a criminal in the commission of a crime? Good luck with that. Unless of course that criminal conceals his act and culpability.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great map post, TwoByFour. I haven't heard, until your post, any mention of the fact that the plane's course was changed at around 2:15 am. So that was programmed into the computer, over-riding the westerly course?
Thanks. I have not seen anyone talk about a course change at 2:15 (or thereabouts), but it had to have occurred if the debris found yesterday is really from 370. That debris is south of the location at 2:15am, so the plane had to have turned south.

My assumption is that there were two legs programmed into the computer sometime before 1:19am - (1) first leg was to head west to the IGREX waypoint, (2) second leg was to turn south upon reaching IGREX. IGREX is near Nicobar Island, which is north of Indonesia. If the plane was being evasive, it would need to avoid Indonesian radar. The plane's last known heading was towards IGREX.

(Edit) All of this I wrote is only valid if the debris is from 370. If not, we are back to square one.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:59 PM

Sounds good. We'll see if the sighted debris is plane-related.

Still no motive, though. Especially for a southerly course.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
OK, here's one possibility for heading south. The pilots were both dying of whatever happened to them and the passengers. They realized they couldn't land at the airport they had intended. They turned south to open ocean so as not to kill hundreds of people on the ground in populated areas when the plane crashed.
I think someone else mentioned this up above.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
OK, here's one possibility for heading south. The pilots were both dying of whatever happened to them and the passengers. They realized they couldn't land at the airport they had intended. They turned south to open ocean so as not to kill hundreds of people on the ground in populated areas when the plane crashed.
I think someone else mentioned this up above.
Still wouldn't explain why they flew so far. They were almost in Antarctic waters. Unless they put the plane on automatic pilot, and it flew until it ran out of gas. If the southern ocean debris is from the plane, it would mean it did fly until it ran out of fuel. The (presumed) crash point is pretty much at the end-of-fuel point.

hmm.....

Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Actually, that was wrong...

i is canceled
g is cancelled
h is cancelled
t is cancelled
o is cancelled

this leaves a l r g d n

or,1,12,18,7,4,14

cancel two ones= 128744 equal Singapore
Wouldn't a Malaysian pilot speaking to Malaysian flight control have been speaking in Malaysian? And the "alright, goodnight" been the U.S. media's translation?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Wouldn't a Malaysian pilot speaking to Malaysian flight control have been speaking in Malaysian? And the "alright, goodnight" been the U.S. media's translation?
Probably so. That was just along the lines of what was originally posted about coordinates of "alright goodnight" on Google maps meaning a (1) and so on.. and those coordinates came to the Maldives. I took the same letters and numbers and came up with Singapore.I wouldn't take them too serious.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 AM

542 posts, read 692,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I thought English was a standard for ATC/pilots the world over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation