Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just heard that they now have three pings and it sounds promising. But maybe not.
That's been the reoccurring theme since day one. LOL. "sounds promising, but maybe not"

Three days ago, planes saw wreckage in correlation to the pings, but we hear nothing more. By now that "wreckage" surely must have been located by ships. Two, going on three days since the Chinese pings were first reported. Surely those two must have been verified or not by more advanced ships in the area.

This entire story REEKS of a giant cover up of some kind.

I remember during Alaska flight 261 crash, it took the freakin media almost a week to stop reporting the wrong airliner. An Md-80 was reported as everything from a 747 to a dash-8.

The media is a joke and they are further proving why with this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 PM

966 posts, read 1,347,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
That's been the reoccurring theme since day one. LOL. "sounds promising, but maybe not"

Three days ago, planes saw wreckage in correlation to the pings, but we hear nothing more. By now that "wreckage" surely must have been located by ships. Two, going on three days since the Chinese pings were first reported. Surely those two must have been verified or not by more advanced ships in the area.

I remember during Alaska flight 261 crash, it took the freakin media almost a week to stop reporting the wrong airliner. An Md-80 was reported as everything from a 747 to a dash-8.

What the media know about aviation will fit on the head of a pin with lots a room left over, instead of having people that know what they are talking about, they have talking heads that can only spew what is fed to them.

This is not far from the truth,
a 2 seat Cessna crashed into a local cemetery, so far there are 150 confirmed fatalities.........

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

"Never attribute to malice what can be sufficiently explained by incompetence" (The classic bumper sticker says "stupidity," but let's be fair and call it incompetence this time...)

Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,692,360 times
I know it isn't easy for these people but the sheer tentativeness of this whole thing is getting very boring. It's always "could be from the missing plane".... then.... "not related to MH370" then another "could be, could be, could be, might be, not confirmed"... no wonder the relatives are getting fractious.
I'm not going to bother follow this story until I finally hear about the first conclusive confirmed 100% evidence.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Is there one blackbox on the plane or are there 2?
Two. Cockpit voice recorder and Flight Data Recorder. Both have small sound transmitters at 37.5 Khz, with a 1 second repeat rate.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
How long can they transmit a signal? I recall reading something about the "window of opportunity" for the signal is closing. How is it powered and will that power source stop soon?
It's battery powered and the average expected signal life is 30 days, but actual performance can vary.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Thanks to both who have answered my question and thanks to the poster who gave the laugh of the day!
I'm ready to stop watching too but everytime I have tried, something is finally discovered or we think it has.

For me the thing is, I would really like to hear what the experts have to say but wish the hosts would just keep their mouths shut. The weather man is an instant fast forward.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,029,495 times
Any think that one if not both of the pilots locked themselves in the cockpit once everything was turned off. Then decompressed to kill everyone then landed the plane Scully style and let the plane slowly fill up with water completely intact?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Maybe I am blinded but I don't think the pilots had anything to do with it.
The big story today is someone was trying to avoid detection of radar but in my mind, I see a pilot who knew his plane might be going down and trying to avoid killing more people by avoiding land.
Also avoiding busy flight lines so he went where he thought they had the best chance.
It would be very convenient to blame it all on the pilots.

Someone even lies about what the daughter said.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
BBC News - Malaysia flight MH370: Search ships to verify signals

HMS Echo, a British ship, has arrived on the scene and could confirm whether this is the plane. An Australian ship, Ocean Shield, is investigating the area where the possible third ping was heard and then it will join the other ship but that won't be until tomorrow. I think they have sonar; BBC News calls it sophisticated detection equipment. At least we could know one way or the other.

Of course the Daily Mirror (UK) says it *has* to be the plane. But they say a lot of things, right or wrong.

I trust the foreign news more than the US and I don't have access to tv news, which sounds like a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation