Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:31 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I saw that - no real substance to it.

What I don't get is that the pinger supposedly has a limit of about 2-3 miles for its range, and the water is 2+ miles deep. They have to be almost on top of it when they hear the thing. It seems like they could just drop the sonar-scanning submarine where they are picking up the pings. I wonder what the range of the sonar scanner is?
From what I understand, the way the sound waves travel under water is not straight up and down. The pinging is coming from an angle, and they have to somehow calculate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
But surely it will not take years?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
From what I understand, the way the sound waves travel under water is not straight up and down. The pinging is coming from an angle, and they have to somehow calculate that.
Also, like echoes up here, those pings underwater can be deflected/interfered with by terrain features.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
RT had it? Seriously? That's funny, because I have turned on that channel so many times through all of this, we have CCTV, RT and the French news channel, and I have never once seen anything about this on RT. I even went to the website to see if they had any coverage of it at all, and they did have information on there.

The statements in that Fox article are from someone who is not involved in this investigation, but "knows people who are" and has been involved in similar situations in the past. They have not pinpointed where the plane is. I just think this is getting people's hopes up that they'll soon find the plane, when that might not be the case at all.
Its been all over radio too and the evening mainstream media news had it as well. Radio had noted the pings on Tuesday and the narrowing of the search to something like 16 square miles.

Who knows though, could always end up being some long lost transistor radio in a plastic bag with an Everready battery.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Of course, I have heard all about the pings, but that Fox link is saying that they found the plane for sure, unless you read the whole piece. It is misleading. I have not heard 16 square miles. That is much more optimistic than they were saying before. ETA I just heard 500 sq miles.

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 04-09-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Of course, I have heard all about the pings, but that Fox link is saying that they found the plane for sure, unless you read the whole piece. It is misleading. I have not heard 16 square miles. That is much more optimistic than they were saying before. ETA I just heard 500 sq miles.
I think what is going on is everyone is now guessing in earnest in the hopes they be the one to say they reported it first.

Just how it works.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But surely it will not take years?
I think they might get a visual recording fairly soon, but then they have to get a robot thingy to cut open the fuselage and extract the box. That could take some time.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think they might get a visual recording fairly soon, but then they have to get a robot thingy to cut open the fuselage and extract the box. That could take some time.
Well, just having a photo of the plane would be a huge breakthrough. It would prove that the current theory is correct, for one thing. Not everyone is convinced. And I'm sure it would be a relief to family members of the passengers.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Except that they haven't located the plane yet. That might take a while, but hopefully not years.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, just having a photo of the plane would be a huge breakthrough.
It is highly unlikely there will be a photograph of the "plane". More likely many photographs of bits of debris. And if there are bodies mixed in with that, which is likely, they will probably not release any of it.

It is an interesting question of what happens to any photographs. There are many entities involved in this, with equipment on loan, and different agendas - private companies, military, government agencies from several different countries. The lawyers will want to suppress it all. The media, like CNN, will want it all. Who actually "owns" any photographic data - the Australians, the Malaysians, Malaysian Airlines, or the organization that gathered the data? And of course there will be a lot of sensitivity to the families, as there should be. I guarantee you that a lot of people haggled over stuff like this and probably still are.

I doubt the public will ever see anything other than maybe a token photograph of something innocuous. In any event, the real goal is getting the black boxes. Those are clearly owned by Malaysian Airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation