Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times

Advertisements

Since it appears that this was not a spontaneous joyride/ditching by the pilot and copilot, but rather was something thought out ahead of time, isn't it possible that someone knows something? I mean, it's possible that there is someone on the ground who is still around, and had a role in what happened, or had a hint that something might be up. The information about what actually happened is with the plane, but have any authorities ever said that they had any "persons of interest" or anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
I don't believe a darn thing the Malaysian government says. I will wait for what the black box and wreckage tell us. I'm hoping for another Australian press conference late tonight.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
I have not read through these 272 pages on this post- but regardless of avoiding radar or whatever we have thousands of satellite systems up in space from all nations where they take millions of photos at various distances and have other resources that somehow a big, huge plane just vanished. Especially sight the reports show this plane flew for hours after dropping off the radar...things just don't make since....

I am so sorry for the families that are dealing with this horror.
They know where it is..

Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That is one question I haven't heard even discussed. If the pilot was deliberately trying to avoid radar, why? Just to crash the plane and hope no one would find it doesn't fit. We have a reasonable cause to believe the black boxes weren't disabled unless those pings turn out to be nothing.

If a pilot wants to crash a plane full of people, being tracked by radar doesn't matter, there is no way to stop them from doing whatever they have in mind unless the plane gets shot down. Who would shoot down a plane headed out over the ocean when it could be easily shot down if it turned to be used as a weapon?
I suggested this before, but will repeat it....

Someone on that plane was thinking way more than suicide, he was making a statement. The statement was that he figured out how to steal a plane and all of its passengers and lose it, completely. It is not easy to do that and this person was saying to the world that despite all your technical wizardry, radar, and such, I can do this. Anyone can commit suicide. This act was much more than that.

The person who did this came very close to his goal - the only thing that went wrong were the handshakes that he could not turn off, or did not realize they were happening. It is only those handshakes, picked up by Inmarsat, that allowed the plane to be tracked to the southern Indian Ocean. Without those, we would not have a clue where to look for it.

I don't know if the perp was the pilot, and I obviously don't know if the above is correct, but it certainly would explain everything that has transpired.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I suggested this before, but will repeat it....

Someone on that plane was thinking way more than suicide, he was making a statement. The statement was that he figured out how to steal a plane and all of its passengers and lose it, completely. It is not easy to do that and this person was saying to the world that despite all your technical wizardry, radar, and such, I can do this. Anyone can commit suicide. This act was much more than that.

The person who did this came very close to his goal - the only thing that went wrong were the handshakes that he could not turn off, or did not realize they were happening. It is only those handshakes, picked up by Inmarsat, that allowed the plane to be tracked to the southern Indian Ocean. Without those, we would not have a clue where to look for it.

I don't know if the perp was the pilot, and I obviously don't know if the above is correct, but it certainly would explain everything that has transpired.
This one is so weird that I have suspended judgement. There is just no rational or obvious irrational explanation for what has happened. If there was a bad guy it virtually has to be one of the pilots.

But let us await the black boxes and see what actually went on. We should know from that though it still may not provide the motivation if human action was involved.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
Just now breaking...

Missing plane's black box 'within reach' | Sky News Australia

Australian authorities are confident they know the location of the black box from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, Prime Minister Tony Abbott says.

The prime minister said Australian authorities had significantly narrowed down the search area.

'It's been very much narrowed down because we've now had a series of detections, some for quite a long period of time,' he told reporters in Beijing on Friday.

'Nevertheless, we're getting to the stage where the signal from what we are very confident is the black box is starting to fade.

'We are hoping to get as much information as we can before the signal finally expires.'

Mr Abbott said he would not go into further details until he had briefed Chinese President Xi Jinping personally.

The breakthrough comes more than a month after the flight carrying 239 passengers went down in mysterious circumstances.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Why does he have to brief the Chinese President first?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Why does he have to brief the Chinese President first?
Perhaps because 153 of the 227 passengers were Chinese citizens.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps because 153 of the 227 passengers were Chinese citizens.
Oh, I didn't realize the number was that high. Thank you. You're probably right. I just figured they'd have to tell Malaysian authorities first since it was their plane.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "why" for avoiding radar in the beginning was linked to the hijack theory. Initially it was believed that the Uighur passenger hijacked the plane. Then theories popped up that the pilot hijacked his own plane. If it were a hijacking, that would explain the need to avoid radar. However, eventually other reasons for flying low were proposed: keeping the plane oxygenated if oxygen systems failed or were depleted (if passengers were alive, or perhaps for the pilot's sake). Another reason was the need to land the plane at Langkawi, which at one point it was believed he "overshot" that airport and missed his chance.

So, as always, we really don't know, and any theory could be proposed to explain any cryptic detail.
I was referring to the "master plan" .

Avoiding radar doesn't accomplish anything, even in the event of a hijacking. If the plane were hijacked, there still isn't anything anyone could do about it. The plane can't be forced to land, it can't be diverted nor can it shot down, the only thing anyone could do is wait for it to land some place and then deal with the hijackers.

So even hijacking doesn't explain the need to avoid radar. Once you have the plane, no one can really touch you while it is flying. When it lands, everyone knows where it is rather quickly. No one is hiding a 777.

Plane gets picked up radar. Then what?

Someone brought it up and said it make it work for some scenario but no one said... huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation