Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Nor is irrational behavior always criminal. Lots of people take "joy" rides in all kinds of vehicles yet not go around killing hundreds when they do it, especially on purpose. Going on a joy ride doesn't mean the behavior is irrational.

Your other example doesn't prove irrational behavior. Rational people have done what you used as an example, people with calm and calculated effort and clarity of thought.

What evidence can you cite that the pilot was irrational? Is it because no other answers have been proved so why not that one? Sure, it can fit but no more than any other.

I am saying that a joy ride is a stretch.
I do believe someone on board deliberately crashed the plane in the Southern Indian Ocean based on the limited facts and details about the missing plane. That's not to say that's what happened.

I am not saying the pilot was acting irrational but that it is plausible he or someone else decided to crash the plane in one of the most remote places on earth because that's how they wanted to go.

It's not how I want to go but because that's not my train of thought doesn't make the theory invalid. Anyway, that's the point I was trying to convey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
How fascinating, maggie...that killing the passengers was some accident.
Thus, he decided to end it all. Its a theory, but he was so experienced.

Well, John Nance, the Good Morn America aviation expert for years that I mentioned early on,
said going to 45k feet, in his opinion, was to kill the passengers...it wasn't bleeped...
But he never was shown saying THAT again!
And George Stepanopolous hasn't asked him his opinion again on air!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,011,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
What Abend has to say about the possibility of a mechanical malfunction.

Opinion: updated 12:24 PM EDT, Tue March 25, 2014
By Les Abend

Opinion: How mechanical problem could have downed Flight 370 - CNN.com

Further detailed analysis by Abend is in the article.
I agree with Abend. I foresee this situation being similar to the Swissair MD-11 accident off the coast of Nova Scotia in 1998. The difference being that the Swissair flight was able to maintain communications and radar contact with ATC, throughout the accident scenario. It also helped that it crashed 5 miles off shore, at a relatively easy location to determine. The absence of communication and the vastness of potential crash sites, is what makes the Malaysian flight intriguing, and suitable fodder for the media and speculators.

As with any aviation accident, speculation will continue until a final accident investigation is completed, and a report issued. Even then, conspiracy theorists will continue to espouse their agendas.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I do believe someone on board deliberately crashed the plane in the Southern Indian Ocean based on the limited facts and details about the missing plane. That's not to say that's what happened.

I am not saying the pilot was acting irrational but that it is plausible he or someone else decided to crash the plane in one of the most remote places on earth because that's how they wanted to go.

It's not how I want to go but because that's not my train of thought doesn't make the theory invalid. Anyway, that's the point I was trying to convey.
We're all guessing so no harm or foul intended.

For the plane to have flown so far off course it can be hard to believe someone didn't do something on board to cause it.

I just hope that when things are sorted out the whatever the end was came so quick that there was little time to think about it. Flying on for hours knowing things were bad would be a horrible thing, hard to even imagine.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Thank you. So, they can recreate what the flight did, just not why.
Sort of. The flight recorders can tell you if certain inputs are made by an automated system or by hand. For example, if the autopilot tries to pull the column back, say, 2 degrees, it registers differently than if it's input by hand. Flight crews generally have certain procedures they go through in the event of certain scenarios. So, based on the flight recorder data, they may be able to tell what sequence of switches were flipped or pressed in response to what was going on on the aircraft. Not to mention, there will be a lot of forensic analysis with other parts of the aircraft that will help to draw certain conclusions based on the flight recorder data.

Normally, the CVR helps to also correlate what is going on. Unfortunately, I feel the CVR data will mostly silence.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

Normally, the CVR helps to also correlate what is going on. Unfortunately, I feel the CVR data will mostly silence.

I get that feeling too. That's probably why I was a chatterbox throughout this thread. Hey thanks for all your informative posts, BTW.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Distraught family members and the general public stormed the Malaysian embassy in Beijing today, demanding information. They're convinced Malaysia's holding something back. In the meantime, all Malaysia had to offer in terms of news was that the plane had let out one final, faint ping after the last one at 8:11 a.m. It sort of gasped its last, about 20 minutes after the last electronic "handshake" between plane and satellite.

They're still clueless.

You'd think it would be hard to miss a field of floating seat cushions and other lightweight material, but by now, most things probably have become waterlogged and have sunk. You'd think that any buoyant items would be washing up on beaches, by now.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The cockpit audio recorder only records the last 2 hours so if everyone were dead and the plane was on autopilot it would presumably be nothing but silence.
That is just ridiculous that the entire flight is not recorded. That needs to change.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Distraught family members and the general public stormed the Malaysian embassy in Beijing today, demanding information. They're convinced Malaysia's holding something back. In the meantime, all Malaysia had to offer in terms of news was that the plane had let out one final, faint ping after the last one at 8:11 a.m. It sort of gasped its last, about 20 minutes after the last electronic "handshake" between plane and satellite.

They're still clueless.

You'd think it would be hard to miss a field of floating seat cushions and other lightweight material, but by now, most things probably have become waterlogged and have sunk. You'd think that any buoyant items would be washing up on beaches, by now.
They, the families are still holding on to hope. Think if it was your family on that plane and you were told they are dead, crashed in the ocean, but nobody could provide you with a single piece of evidence, just assumptions. I understand them and how they feel. Find the damn plane and closure can begin.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
The debri field is optional. There is actually no reason one is required. If the plane hits at 400 knots there will be a debri field. If the plane hits at 180 knots maybe not. If the plane hit relative flat it might welll float intact for a while. And if everyone or many on board were alive they would get the hell out of there onto wings and lifeboats and such. But if everyone is dead or mostly unconscious? It sinks slowly into the sea without giving up much if anything.

So no the debri field is not required by the physics involved .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation