Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
They were likely dead or hypoxic, in either case incapacitated. That is why the pilot took it to 40,000 feet - he went that high and depressurized the cabin. Oxygen for the passenger face masks only last about 20 minutes.
Again, I don't get this. You don't need to go to FL 400 to induce near instant hypoxia in the passengers. Anywhere above FL 300 will result in a loss of consciousness in less than a minute in a completely depressurized cabin. The time it takes to climb from FL 300 to FL 400 will take multiple minutes and that climb would only decrease the passengers' useful consciousness by roughly 30 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Yeah, I don't think that elevation thing was done to kill or knock anyone out. Not sure why they did it, maybe to avoid detection somehow, but not for the reasons everyone is talking about. But I am not a pilot, so what do I know.

Don

Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I have a question and I don't mean to sound dense. Why do all that to commit suicide? Why take out so many innocent people if one wants to die? I don't necessarily agree that suicide is a good choice, but it's not my life. Why destroy the lives of so many other people and their families? It's almost odd to say it, but it would be more understandable if it was a hijacking since they are known for brazen acts of cruelty for no reason, but sabotage and suicide, if true, is unconsciousable.
He is/was a Muslim.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
As someone who made a career that often encompassed garnering a sixth sense of people, (not that I was always correct, but 9 times of ten I was on the mark, or closely related) when I view the photos of the pilots and then view more about the internet, I don't see "bad" in the co-pilot or younger guy. But the pilot, when you look at him closely, you sense something simmering in that guy. Something in the eyes, not quite right.

Pure speculation on my part and I may be off the mark here, judging from only photos, but now that we've narrowed the possibilities down. He looks rather "dark" to me.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Well first of all no one except for God knows who was in control of this plane. We do know that *someone* responded to ATC with "Alright, good night" as even then transponders and other systems were being disabled. Was that the voice of the pilot or co-pilot? Do not think anyone has said so with 100% certainty.

Latest "theory" says the plane was sticking to commercial air traffic routes but flying "stealth" at a low altitude. Missing Malaysia Airlines jet may have flown under radar: investigators

Whomever was at the controls of this plane latest theories say must have been very skilled in order to control this Boeing in that manner for long as he or they did (several hours).

Know one said was going to say out of this but have a bit of a head so cannot go out..... *LOL*

Perhaps "hijackers" got into the cockpit and did the usual "don't make any fast moves... " and ordered flight crew to change course. Then a struggle began for control of the plane either one of both members of the flight crew lost. That or still under threat they were forced to comply with order to disable various systems as well.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that elevation thing was done to kill or knock anyone out. Not sure why they did it, maybe to avoid detection somehow, but not for the reasons everyone is talking about. But I am not a pilot, so what do I know.

Don
Nor am I. The fact that everything at this point is still speculation is rather bewildering.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Totally unlikely. Not many people hold cell phone in their hands all the time. You would have to search very pocket on every passenger's clothing, hand bag, purse, briefcase, tote, carry-on luggage, every zippered division of them, to make sure you find all the cell phones.
238 passengers-5 hours minimum flight time with auto pilot. On average about a minute and a half to search each passenger. It could be done even faster.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
He is/was a Muslim.
And your point is????

Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
238 passengers-5 hours minimum flight time with auto pilot. On average about a minute and a half to search each passenger. It could be done even faster.
Sadly there are very disgusting and horrible ways to compel the process to go much faster.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
And your point is????
How many suicide bombers were NOT muslim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation