Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times

Advertisements

I had hoped the plane and passengers were on land somewhere, but each passing day with no word, no chatter makes that unlikely.

If the debris spotted is from the plane sadly we may never know who was responsible and why they did this. Not much closure for the families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
I'm still doubting it was hijacked at all.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
The fire argument makes sense. what is shocking is that all communications would necessarily be lost/destroyed by the pilots in their attempts to extinguish the fire. Does this seem like a good engineering idea? To have all those communications on the system which must be eliminated to control a fire? I had no idea that this would be the case.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
That's just as likely to be 2 large pieces of Antarctica that have broken off and floating/melting away.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:30 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
What ever happened to: "The imagery on our satellites is so good, you could read a license plate"?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The fire argument makes sense. what is shocking is that all communications would necessarily be lost/destroyed by the pilots in their attempts to extinguish the fire. Does this seem like a good engineering idea? To have all those communications on the system which must be eliminated to control a fire? I had no idea that this would be the case.
In the SwissAir incident, the pilots maintained communications with the ground even though there was an electrical fire. It seems unlikely that a fire could knock out all communications systems yet the plane still fly for hours, especially given the required redundancy and reliability of each system. In fact, the satcom system was apparently operational since it was "pinging" the satellite. Also, a fire supposedly took out comms but not the flight management system or anything else that would be needed to keep the plane airborne for hours?

While the pilot would have likely been focused on flying the plane to land it safely during a problem, the copilot would have been trying to call ATC to let them know there was a problem. If they had been able to land with a fire in the electronics compartment, they would have wanted firefighters to be on their way ASAP to aid in getting the fire extinguished and the passengers off of the plane.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 AM

986 posts, read 1,867,129 times
I'm no expert, but I really can't see the debris spotted on satellite from Australia are the plane. I think this is just another lead that leads nowhere... But I guess we will find out soon enough!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
In the SwissAir incident, the pilots maintained communications with the ground even though there was an electrical fire. It seems unlikely that a fire could knock out all communications systems yet the plane still fly for hours, especially given the required redundancy and reliability of each system. In fact, the satcom system was apparently operational since it was "pinging" the satellite. Also, a fire supposedly took out comms but not the flight management system or anything else that would be needed to keep the plane airborne for hours?

While the pilot would have likely been focused on flying the plane to land it safely during a problem, the copilot would have been trying to call ATC to let them know there was a problem. If they had been able to land with a fire in the electronics compartment, they would have wanted firefighters to be on their way ASAP to aid in getting the fire extinguished and the passengers off of the plane.
I hear your opinion and I agree with some of it however the pilot who posted clearly has knowledge of what "could" happen. What else are we left with.

Zero communication emanating from the airplane
Unknown location
No communications to any of 239 cell phones

Despite conjecture and opinion to me those are the only "facts".

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,960,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
What ever happened to: "The imagery on our satellites is so good, you could read a license plate"?
We obviously aren't watching an episode of NCIS.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post

The photos they are showing right now are from DigitalGlobe, a private company. They get their photos from various sources, including their own satellites IIRC, but definitely not from the US Military/CIA/NSA/NRO. Plus, there is probably not much reason to randomly photograph that part of the ocean with the best assets they have. Of course now that they have a better idea on where to look, maybe they can do that, but I doubt they let those photos become public at full resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation