Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 12:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times

Advertisements

The relatives are asking Malaysia why the ELT (a beacon that goes off when a plane crashes) was never activated. I do not believe the ELT can be disabled. Perhaps one of the 777 experts here knows.

At any rate, sounds like more fuel for the aluminum-foil-hat folks on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 PM

Those of you who think the plane landed somewhere, are you saying Inmarsat, which is a private company in the UK, is in on this conspiracy? They would have to be since they are the ones who put the final location of the plane, 8 hours into the flight, off the coast of Australia. The final signal they analyzed was sent when the engine shut down.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I don't dismiss ANYTHING as a possibility.
Except perhaps common sense?

Land on a highway... better not have any trees or power lines on either side

And of course to get to the top secret hanger that by the way would have to would at a minimum 210' x 300' and five to six stories tall, one would think one would need a road - once off the highway/landing strip - could handle a 500,000 lbs aircraft.

Something like this:

Now pardon me folks but I've been peeking into this thread for a while and it has been interesting, but for me personally when I heard the first reports "Breaking News Airliner Missing!!!!" I asked myself, how does a plane go missing... well if it is missing it MUST HAVE CRASHED SOMEWHERE

Now if there is was some nefarious plot, I can buy into the pilot committing suicide by airliner, not unprecedented. I can see a hijacking gone bad, again, we've seen that before. But taking the plan, no claim of responsibility, no demands, no bragging and thank god no terrorist snuff films, the plane is sitting somewhere on the bottom of somebodies ocean and until they find it all this conspiracy stuff is just a internet parlor game... not to be taken seriously.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Land on a highway... better not have any trees or power lines on either side
have you seen the terrain around parts of Central Asia and Pakistan? No trees anywhere. Power lines? They have electricity in the villages? Now there's a news item!
And have you noticed that even in the US, power lines often don't follow alongside highways. Just saying.
Quote:
Now pardon me folks but I've been peeking into this thread for a while and it has been interesting, but for me personally when I heard the first reports "Breaking News Airliner Missing!!!!" I asked myself, how does a plane go missing... well if it is missing it MUST HAVE CRASHED SOMEWHERE

Now if there is was some nefarious plot, I can buy into the pilot committing suicide by airliner, not unprecedented. I can see a hijacking gone bad, again, we've seen that before. But taking the plan, no claim of responsibility, no demands, no bragging and thank god no terrorist snuff films, the plane is sitting somewhere on the bottom of somebodies ocean and until they find it all this conspiracy stuff is just a internet parlor game... not to be taken seriously.
You must admit, though, that this case's history of false statements and retractions hasn't helped the credibility of any bona fide info that may have come out. How are we supposed to know what's real?

True, though; the best place to hide a plane is at the bottom of an ocean.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-19-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 01:46 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,795 times
Quote:
........the plane is sitting somewhere on the bottom of somebodies ocean and until they find it all this conspiracy stuff is just a internet parlor game... not to be taken seriously.

Oh I think I have plenty of common sense...extra even for those who mistake their own smugness for common sense. You choose to believe what you are told because it makes the most "sense" to believe it....as in that's the most comfortable scenario to accept.

I simply say since we do not have much beyond countless retracted statements; that it would be arrogant to dismiss other possibilities. Arrogance is another trait I see a lot of in people who think they hit the motherload on common sense.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:17 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Those of you who think the plane landed somewhere, are you saying Inmarsat, which is a private company in the UK, is in on this conspiracy? They would have to be since they are the ones who put the final location of the plane, 8 hours into the flight, off the coast of Australia. The final signal they analyzed was sent when the engine shut down.
Good question and no, I'm not saying that. I'm saying we don't know. Again, we are being given a choice to accept as fact what we have heard in media reports & press statements. Perhaps Inmarsat is not at liberty to be completely forthcoming. Perhaps a lot of agencies involved in the investigation are limited in what they divulge. As it should be. Perhaps 370 is in the ocean...but until they put out solid proof, I remain skeptical.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:46 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
Quote:
The relatives are asking Malaysia why the ELT (a beacon that goes off when a plane crashes) was never activated. I do not believe the ELT can be disabled. Perhaps one of the 777 experts here knows.

At any rate, sounds like more fuel for the aluminum-foil-hat folks on this thread.
That plane had 4 ELTs.

Quote:
So, the final ping happened when an engine shut down or when both engines shut down? Would there be 2 separate signals for each engine shutting down?

There have been hundreds and hundreds of posts in this thread of people voicing their opinions about what might have happened to the plane. No matter how ludicrous some of the theories might seem, there is no need for anyone to imply that the people posting them belong in a padded cell.

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 04-19-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
That plane had 4 ELTs.

So, the final ping happened when an engine shut down or when both engines shut down? Would there be 2 separate signals for each engine shutting down?
The account that I read (from the BBC) was that it was sent from a single engine being shut down. The thought was it ran out of fuel while the other one continued to suck a little bit more out of its tank. The article had some "expert" (maybe a pilot, cannot remember) who thought the plane could not remain stable on one engine while on autopilot and would crash at that point. That latter point was debated a bit here, so who knows.

Quote:

There have been hundreds and hundreds of posts in this thread of people voicing their opinions about what might have happened to the plane. No matter how ludicrous some of the theories might seem, there is no need for anyone to imply that the people posting them belong in a padded cell.
It was a joke. The little smiley face is supposed to indicate that. Or so I thought.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:29 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, although, admittedly, I may have misinterpreted your smiley face. Sorry. All of a sudden, there are all these posts about freakin tin-foil hats. It's driving me crazy. I don't understand why it's happening after all these weeks of civility on here.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
have you seen the terrain around parts of Central Asia and Pakistan? No trees anywhere. Power lines? They have electricity in the villages? Now there's a news item!

Now I gave you a number of factors that makes the argument implausible, including the existence of some clandestine six story 63,000 foot hanger, so I can see why that was the biggest "flaw" that you can point out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation