Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 03:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
You choose to believe what you are told because it makes the most "sense" to believe it....as in that's the most comfortable scenario to accept.
No it's called critical thinking.

Quote:
I simply say since we do not have much beyond countless retracted statements; that it would be arrogant to dismiss other possibilities.
Yes it would be arrogant to dismiss many plausible possibilities, but that is not the same as accepting every possibility. Again, it'c called critical thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, although, admittedly, I may have misinterpreted your smiley face. Sorry. All of a sudden, there are all these posts about freakin tin-foil hats. It's driving me crazy. I don't understand why it's happening after all these weeks of civility on here.
I really don't think anyone is trying to be mean spirited when they talk about tin-foil hats. At least I'm not. I was a scientist for many years and I kind of liked it when people referred to me as a propeller-head. Or in the UK, "boffin".

Old 04-19-2014, 04:11 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Eh, I'm not easily offended....we all have our opinions. One of my history profs from many years back had a plaque on his class door...I couldn't remember it word for word but it stuck with me, so I just googled it. It's by Saul Bellow.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

I'm sure the interpretation depends on which side you're on, heheh.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
This is a great thread with lots of intelligent, informative posts which include all sorts of theories. Lately some people are getting close to violating the TOS though. Personal attacks and even rudeness are against the TOS.

A personal attack is a derogatory statement or statements directed at a specific poster. Derogatory statements include, but are not limited to, the following:

*****Negative remarks about a person' intelligence, e.g. IQ level, reading comprehension ability; use of the words retard, stupid, dumb and similar; asking their grade in school

*****Negative remarks about a person's physical or psychiatric health, e.g. accusing a member of senility; needing/forgetting psychiatric medications; making psychiatric diagnosis such as paranoid, bi-polar and the like; suggesting a member needs psychiatric help

*****Negative remarks impugning a member's character or morals

*****Threats of physical violence, or advocating of same, to a member, member's family or their property

Old 04-19-2014, 07:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Seeing how this thread ran 299+ pages and no one has yet went to blows says a little something.

The facts might turn out to be far more fantastic than any of the theories so far.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
I think it is logical to assume the plane went down but the families are looking for any thing giving them hope their loved ones could be alive, just like the poor parents in South Korea.
I say, whatever a person wants to believe, let them believe it until those beliefs are proven to be wrong.

I believe the Mayors of cities and the US terrorist task force are probably keeping this disappearance in mind.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:04 AM

5,225 posts, read 6,152,814 times
There is another thread on here about possibilities of loss of Oxygen........never knew of the Helios tragedy. Reading about it opens a lot of doors......biggest piece of the puzzle missing in 370 is lack of communication and the fact that so much time had passed before it was reported and the remoteness of the area were the disappearance had occurred.

Helios Airways Flight 522 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
If eventually it is discovered that a lack of oxygen was the cause for the crash, a lot of talking heads in the media that have been cited as experts will have red faces. If never fails, some major incident happens and the media manages to find an endless line of experts who "know" what happened. Naturally, those who guessed even close will be paraded as geniuses and make the rounds.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
There is another thread on here about possibilities of loss of Oxygen........
Helios Airways Flight 522 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For me the whole matter reminds me of Payne Stewart's ill-fated flight to Dallas in 1999. Flying in a Lear Jet that was suppose to fly to Dallas from Orlando, all communications with the crew were lost an hour after take off. The plane then flew another 1,400 miles eventually crashing in northern South Dakota. While the planes transponders were never turned off, like the Malaysian flight, Stewart's plane flew as high as 51,000 to 22,000. It was presumed by the accident investigation that the crew probably lost consciousness at some point above 30,000 feet.

ABCNEWS.com : Payne Stewart Dead After Runaway Jet Crashes

Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Well, here we are into 299 pages, and the one thing that seems to dominate is the fact many posters have stated "the crash", or words to that effect.
What makes any of you think the plane crashed?
Do any of you have evidence that it crashed anywhere on the planet?
If those searching have no proof it crashed, how can a bunch of people on a forum know that it crashed?
Because there is no trace at all of this aircraft, most assume it crashed somewhere.
I for one have never believed it crashed any where on this planet.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation