Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
What if everybody on the plane just happened to decide to leave their phone on? Wonder how that could affect a plane?
It wouldn't. Wires are shielded. See my previous post about 2-5 pages back (depends on what browser/platform you're using).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The pilot in the plane ahead of him tried to make contact, but couldn't understand what he said.
No, that was a separate incident. That pilot contacted the pilot of mh370 by radio, but after an initial exchange, he lost contact.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
People have seen far too many movies and dramatic TV shows. What point is there to have a satellite snapping images of the middle of the Indian Ocean constantly? It's just a waste of resources.But, I'd be highly doubtful any country had a satellite snapping images of the middle of nowhere.
It's NOT in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Take a look at this site, if you want, and click in the filters to show ships in the area, etc. It has the search site in the drop down box. There are ships going through there all the time. You can see where it is in relation to the coast of Australia. Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

I don't watch movies or tv shows or read books about this. I am just thinking of seeing satellite pictures on here, and on the news before, and how so much of the data seems to have come from information from satellites.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
It's NOT in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Take a look at this site, if you want, and click in the filters to show ships in the area, etc. It has the search site in the drop down box. There are ships going through there all the time. You can see where it is in relation to the coast of Australia. Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

I don't watch movies or tv shows or read books about this. I am just thinking of seeing satellite pictures on here, and on the news before, and how so much of the data seems to have come from information from satellites.
What I'm saying is that there's no good need to have satellites snapping photos of that area on any given day. Even if they did, they probably wouldn't be of the resolution to distinguish junk from aircraft debris. There's this Hollywood-impressed idea on most people that we have satellites capable of constant, worldwide, high resolution imagery.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 PM

You wouldn't need high-resolution imagery. If there were satellite images from that date to look at, and the plane had crashed there, there would probably be some evidence. It could be junk or it could be airplane debris, but if it was in that spot, from that date, I would be assuming it was from the plane. Isn't it worth a shot? I mean, there is nothing else to go on at this point besides the submersible that is going to map out the seabed. Of course, I don't know how many satellites there are overhead that might be capable of this.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
What I'm saying is that there's no good need to have satellites snapping photos of that area on any given day. Even if they did, they probably wouldn't be of the resolution to distinguish junk from aircraft debris. There's this Hollywood-impressed idea on most people that we have satellites capable of constant, worldwide, high resolution imagery.
OK now I'm confused...I was with fuzzy on this one. I thought they were getting satellite images of the suspected area since the aircraft disappeared.....wasn't there even a website for people to look for themselves? Or am I mixing up two separate incidents?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
OK now I'm confused...I was with fuzzy on this one. I thought they were getting satellite images of the suspected area since the aircraft disappeared.....wasn't there even a website for people to look for themselves? Or am I mixing up two separate incidents?
Yes, there was.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
That was a privately owned company that redirected their satellites to the Straits of Malacca within days of the crash. Those satellites took "high resolution" imagery (it was still very difficult to determine what you were looking at) of that entire area between Malaysia, Vietnam, and the surrounding area and used TomNod to crowd source reviewing the imagery.

Remember... They were initially looking for it in the Straits of Malacca because they hadn't yet found out about the Imarsat engine reporting ping seven hours later. It wasn't until something like two weeks into it they started looking at the current search area. And their initial search in that area was way off. A typhoon had already blown through the current crash area by the time they even got close.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,795 times
^^^^^ thanks for the explanation^^^
I can't keep up with all the changes as time drags on. Those poor families. They don't even get the courtesy of being able to grieve; every day a new revelation or a retraction of an earlier claim. Right now they are interviewing the guy who dove to the Titanic. He has some interesting things to say.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
this thread is a microcosm of society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation