Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times

Advertisements

Quote from the Wall Street Journal today:

Meanwhile, Malaysian authorities are stepping up preparations for the next phase of an operation already into its 38th day. Authorities are consulting with international legal experts to consider which country should get custody of the black boxes if they are retrieved, Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said Sunday.

Precedent in airline crashes would give the country overseeing the search--in this case, Malaysia--authority to determine how the black boxes are recovered and analyzed. Kuala Lumpur so far has delegated large parts of the search and investigation to countries and agencies with better technical resources, and it is expected to designate foreign experts to download data from the devices.

Malaysia is determining who will get access to the data. But that being said, it sounds like they do not have a problem sharing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 AM

335 posts, read 410,097 times
Well it appears that the pings are gone as the battery apparently exhausted? The rover unit at least promises to locate
the plane that could conceivably be 3 miles down. No one has established factual cause for the missing plane although all clues point to an intentional removal of communication and course. My initial instincts told me to look at a catastrophic
event related to the chemical oxygen system(s) that use a firing pin in activate for over 200 passengers and crew . Makes
you wonder how effective also this system would work at 45,000 feet? My newly acquired conspiracy theory has me thinking that an EMP (electromagnetic Pulse) used experimentally from a clandestine source could have wiped out all
computers ,cells and batteries. I just don't know if the batteries for the ping would be knocked out. Anyway, it a sad
situation.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
I dunno, I think the electronics would be well-shielded so that things like nearby lightning wouldn't affect them.

I wonder if international maritime salvage laws would have any bearing on who gets to play with the black boxes.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Well it appears that the pings are gone as the battery apparently exhausted? The rover unit at least promises to locate
the plane that could conceivably be 3 miles down. No one has established factual cause for the missing plane although all clues point to an intentional removal of communication and course. My initial instincts told me to look at a catastrophic
event related to the chemical oxygen system(s) that use a firing pin in activate for over 200 passengers and crew . Makes
you wonder how effective also this system would work at 45,000 feet? My newly acquired conspiracy theory has me thinking that an EMP (electromagnetic Pulse) used experimentally from a clandestine source could have wiped out all
computers ,cells and batteries. I just don't know if the batteries for the ping would be knocked out. Anyway, it a sad
situation.
Oh joy. A new theory.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh joy. A new theory.

You can damn well bet that anything & everything that's been mentioned in this thread has been thought about by the big boys investigating. Whether they would admit it or not. Plus probably a few more we haven't come up with. Yet.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh joy. A new theory.

Well, there's no sense in staying on the thread if no one has any more ideas. It's either speculate or dully repeat over and over, "the plane disappeared. the plane disappeared."

Old 04-14-2014, 03:48 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
No. Any critical system or subsystem on the aircraft that could be influenced by such a thing has shielded wire to protect against electromagnetic interference. The cell phone thing is more of an FCC requirement because they don't like phones rapidly changing towers (like they would in an airplane).

Generally, a larger hazard are unbonded external panels of the aircraft - particularly composite panels. As the aircraft flies through the air, particularly in clouds, positive ions are attracted to the negative charge of the aircraft. Ordinarily, this behavior is dealt with by means of static dischargers on the trailing ends of the wings, and vertical and horizontal stabilizers. The static dischargers are small, pointed objects. Electrical charges will evenly distribute themselves around a perfect sphere BUT the "pointier" a conductor is, the surface charge density at the point will be greater than somewhere else. Usually, as the plane flies along, these charges begin to accumulate and steadily dissipate at the static dischargers - which are small pointy object.

However, if a panel is not bonded properly, the positive ions will still be attracted to the aircraft, and a charge will begin to build up on the unbonded panels because they have nowhere to go. Ultimately, if they have nowhere to go, an electromagnetic field begins to develop around the panel and we're talking in the 100,000 volts or more range. The electromagnetic field will decrease in strength at a rate of 1/r^2. That amount of static charge can cause radio interference - usually on the VHF radios depending on the proximity of the panel(s) to the radio antennas.

Sometimes flight crews experience what is referred to as St. Elmo's Fire when a radome (the nose cone of the aircraft) is not bonded properly. The charges build up so much that there is a corona effect (a discharge event) that happens and makes for a very pretty light show.

This might be a little deep but Walter Lewin, my favorite MIT professor, explains it the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9501V-D-SM4

This is also why aircraft can deal with lightning (because charges accumulate on the SURFACE of the conductor). And, yes, you're perfectly safe from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
situation.
I made this post way, way back. EMP would have zero effect on the aircraft. None whatsoever.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
You can damn well bet that anything & everything that's been mentioned in this thread has been thought about by the big boys investigating. Whether they would admit it or not. Plus probably a few more we haven't come up with. Yet.
The answer to the mystery is simple. It was an inside job. A multi-national inside job if you will.. For what reason one will never know.

Now all they're doing is trying to cover up and when they're ready they'll throw a few pieces of debris on the ocean and the news headlines of the finding will be all over the world.

YAY WE FOUND IT!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
The latest Google+ posting from Chris Goodfellow:

April 14, 2014

Negligent homicide?

While we still don't know the actual cause of MH370's disappearance, my original thought was fire.

Last night I stumbled upon a document quite by chance doing random Google searches on lithium batteries.

It is a 39 page PDF from FAA files listing fire/smoke incidents with batteries going back to 1991. If you want your eyes opened to what we might be dealing with here on MH370 with its reported cargo of 200kg of li-ion batteries you need to read just a few of these incident summaries.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...dent_chart.pdf

What it tells me is these batteries should never be carried as cargo on any airplane, not just passenger planes. They are an unstable commodity to say the least and any improper packing, handling or perhaps shifting of cargo on takeoff could result in an incident.

Passengers carrying personal items with these batteries should not put them in their baggage going in the hold of the aircraft and appropriate fire fighting tools including a properly insulate fire-smother blanket and insulated gloves should be available to the cabin crew in the event of an incident in the cabin.

This summary of incidents was compiled in February. OBVIOUSLY IT WAS ON SOMEONE"S MIND THAT THERE IS AN ISSUE FOR THIS COMPILATION TO HAVE BEEN MADE.

If indeed the cause is traced back to the cargo of batteries at the very least here we may be dealing with a case of negligent homicide. This cargo should never have been on the plane in the first place. If these batteries ignited, the 239 souls on board didn't have a chance.
In several incidents toxic fumes are reported.

Given this summary of incidents paper from the FAA, one would think the agency would immediately implement some regulations to assure the travelling public that no hazardous cargo of this type is on any plane (A cargo plane can crash in a populated area) and that appropriate tools are available in all aircraft cabins to deal with an emergency situation. I am not re-assured by simple extinguishers.

As to the certification of the 787 and given the number of incidents already with their batteries are we assured that the "fixes" are robust enough to contain a chain reaction fire? Or is this an accident waiting to happen? Is it a case where the technology has gotten a little too far ahead of good common sense when dealing with hazardous materials?

Oil slick? Funny I was thinking this a couple of days ago... that if the seas were calm there just might be some seepage to the surface and that might just be a better locator of the wreckage than anything. Let's hope this is it because it looks like there are not any more pings and it will take some time for the sidescans to map the area.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The latest Google+ posting from Chris Goodfellow:

April 14, 2014

Negligent homicide?

While we still don't know the actual cause of MH370's disappearance, my original thought was fire.

Last night I stumbled upon a document quite by chance doing random Google searches on lithium batteries.

It is a 39 page PDF from FAA files listing fire/smoke incidents with batteries going back to 1991. If you want your eyes opened to what we might be dealing with here on MH370 with its reported cargo of 200kg of li-ion batteries you need to read just a few of these incident summaries.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...dent_chart.pdf

What it tells me is these batteries should never be carried as cargo on any airplane, not just passenger planes. They are an unstable commodity to say the least and any improper packing, handling or perhaps shifting of cargo on takeoff could result in an incident.

Passengers carrying personal items with these batteries should not put them in their baggage going in the hold of the aircraft and appropriate fire fighting tools including a properly insulate fire-smother blanket and insulated gloves should be available to the cabin crew in the event of an incident in the cabin.

Flight 370's cargo included nearly a quarter-ton of lithium batteries. It is a very flammable cargo, but Malaysia Airlines CEO says the batteries ...

Did lithium batteries bring down Flight 370? – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

According to this, you are not allowed to know what the cargo is on the plane. With that many batteries, I would think it would have gone up in smoke very quickly.. Instead of flying for an additional 7 hours. I would think the weight of the cargo would have been more of a problem than the actual cargo although I have no way of knowing what the PO was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation