Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 06:38 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Well it appears that the pings are gone as the battery apparently exhausted? The rover unit at least promises to locate
the plane that could conceivably be 3 miles down. No one has established factual cause for the missing plane although all clues point to an intentional removal of communication and course. My initial instincts told me to look at a catastrophic
event related to the chemical oxygen system(s) that use a firing pin in activate for over 200 passengers and crew . Makes
you wonder how effective also this system would work at 45,000 feet? My newly acquired conspiracy theory has me thinking that an EMP (electromagnetic Pulse) used experimentally from a clandestine source could have wiped out all
computers ,cells and batteries. I just don't know if the batteries for the ping would be knocked out. Anyway, it a sad
situation.
Very sad indeed.

"Bad things happen to good people all the time..Andy and for no reason whatsoever"

Alec Baldwin in Malice

Last edited by AADAD; 04-14-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Flight 370's cargo included nearly a quarter-ton of lithium batteries. It is a very flammable cargo, but Malaysia Airlines CEO says the batteries ...

Did lithium batteries bring down Flight 370? – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

According to this, you are not allowed to know what the cargo is on the plane. With that many batteries, I would think it would have gone up in smoke very quickly.. Instead of flying for an additional 7 hours. I would think the weight of the cargo would have been more of a problem than the actual cargo although I have no way of knowing what the PO was.
A fire would have likely brought down the aircraft quickly, absolutely. Lithium batteries are common cargo and not suspicious, as well.

I don't know if you're not allowed to know what's on-board, though it really doesn't matter to the average passenger. People are better off not knowing what wacky stuff is transported as it might be unsettling (venomous snakes on a plane, etc ), but if a passenger would ask me if human remains are being transported and it could cause them enough distress to take another flight, I would have no problem telling them the truth.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,947,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
Well it appears that the pings are gone as the battery apparently exhausted? The rover unit at least promises to locate
the plane that could conceivably be 3 miles down. No one has established factual cause for the missing plane although all clues point to an intentional removal of communication and course. My initial instincts told me to look at a catastrophic
event related to the chemical oxygen system(s) that use a firing pin in activate for over 200 passengers and crew . Makes
you wonder how effective also this system would work at 45,000 feet? My newly acquired conspiracy theory has me thinking that an EMP (electromagnetic Pulse) used experimentally from a clandestine source could have wiped out all
computers ,cells and batteries. I just don't know if the batteries for the ping would be knocked out. Anyway, it a sad
situation.
Wouldn't an EMP that powerful also affect anything else flying, driving or moving that was also in range of the EMP?

That 777 wasn't the only plane flying that day.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
I'm hopeful they find wreckage in the area the last half ping was detected. The ping from the black boxes was heard in same area, which can't be a coincidence.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
A fire would have likely brought down the aircraft quickly, absolutely. Lithium batteries are common cargo and not suspicious, as well.

I don't know if you're not allowed to know what's on-board, though it really doesn't matter to the average passenger. People are better off not knowing what wacky stuff is transported as it might be unsettling (venomous snakes on a plane, etc ), but if a passenger would ask me if human remains are being transported and it could cause them enough distress to take another flight, I would have no problem telling them the truth.

If the cargo contained lithium batteries and 3-4 tonnes of mangosteens (see blow link)

Was missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 on a suicide mission? The search for answers goes on | News.com.au

and the fruit was rotten or produced an acid that somehow leaked on the lithium batteries or vice versa.. that would cause smoke.. Mangosteens are very vulnerable to heat..

The higher the heat, the more xanthones and other nutrients are destroyed. The most powerful phytonutrients, it turns out, are also the most vulnerable to heat. They're fragile.
[LEFT]
RAW Mangosteen and xanthones: Here's how to get raw mangosteen powder that hasn't been damaged by pasteurization

[/LEFT]
Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya told reporters the most remarkable cargo being carried on MH370 was 3-4 tonnes of mangosteens.

Was missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 on a suicide mission? The search for answers goes on | News.com.au

However, after several additional days of storage, especially if unrefrigerated, the arils inside the fruit might spoil without any obvious external indications. Using the hardness of the rind as an indicator of freshness for the first two weeks following harvest is therefore unreliable because the rind does not accurately reveal the interior condition of the arils. If the exocarp is soft and yielding as it is when ripe and fresh from the tree, the fruit is usually good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_mangosteen

Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Negligent homicide?

What it tells me is these batteries should never be carried as cargo on any airplane, not just passenger planes. They are an unstable commodity to say the least and any improper packing, handling or perhaps shifting of cargo on takeoff could result in an incident.
A Malaysian airline authority said early on that he'd checked the battery cargo several times to make sure that safety regs had been met in the packing and storing of the cargo on board. So there's no "negligent homicide" case to be made. But still, it was commented earlier in this thread that lith-ion batteries were too dangerous for shipping by any means, whether by air, sea or land. How to deal with them, in view of this, then?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334;34360843
[/COLOR
[/LEFT]
Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya told reporters the most remarkable cargo being carried on MH370 was 3-4 tonnes of mangosteens.
It was probably more like, Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya told them that in the same way he might have said, "the most remarkable cargo on that plane was ketchup packets. " is in, there was no interesting, intriguing cargo being carried.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
It was probably more like, Malaysia Airlines chief executive Ahmad Jauhari Yahya told them that in the same way he might have said, "the most remarkable cargo on that plane was ketchup packets. " is in, there was no interesting, intriguing cargo being carried.
Well, I was equating the insides of magnosteens which are pretty much like battery acid when rotten and theorizing that magnosteens would have leaked on the lithium batteries or vice versa. Either way.. it was acid combined with acid, if that happened.

So, where is the cargo list?

I've heard it consisted of gold, mangosteens and lithium batteries. All metals with acid in between. Lithium batteries also contain a small amount of gold, I think. So, if gold, magnosteens and lithium batteries are exposed to heat.. It would be one acidic mess.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
It's kind of a huge leap to think that the leakage would have gone through all of the packaging and still been able to do enough damage to start a reaction that could result in bringing down a Boeing 777.

Would cargo loaded on the plane in Malaysia all be unloaded in Beijing? Or, would some be taken off and more be loaded on? As far as what combinations of items are in there, they have to keep track and make sure it's all safe.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
It's kind of a huge leap to think that the leakage would have gone through all of the packaging and still been able to do enough damage to start a reaction that could result in bringing down a Boeing 777.

Would cargo loaded on the plane in Malaysia all be unloaded in Beijing? Or, would some be taken off and more be loaded on? As far as what combinations of items are in there, they have to keep track and make sure it's all safe.
Where I work, everything is unloaded off the aircraft, no exceptions. It is done for safety, to keep track of weight, balance, the loaded positions of the cargo/bags, and to know exactly what is on the aircraft at all times. Each flight is loaded fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation