Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times

Advertisements

I apologize, just back online after being out of the country for a week. Have scanned but not read all 142 pages. Not sure if anyone else posted this.

I was sent this item today from a 777 pilot who said it sounds plausible (though the Pakistan rumors are still out there...) In short - author says fire may have been the culprit, which would explain radios out and many other anomalies...
A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com

The author certainly presents a compelling case.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I apologize, just back online after being out of the country for a week. Have scanned but not read all 142 pages. Not sure if anyone else posted this.

I was sent this item today from a 777 pilot who said it sounds plausible (though the Pakistan rumors are still out there...) In short - author says fire may have been the culprit, which would explain radios out and many other anomalies...
A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com

The author certainly presents a compelling case.
Thoughts?
Yeah, we already had this but that's okay.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Well, I guess the Antarctica & Oz crash theory fits into those two arcs they came up with, though. At least it's not too much out in left field. Who knows why they would have tried to fly to Antarctica, though. Just another bizarre aspect of the whole thing.
The article never said that they were flying to Antarctica, just toward it. It never implied the destination. They probably should have simply said south.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM

MH370: Missing plane could have kept flying four hours after disappearing, US investigators say

The Chinese have released satellite photos that were taken March 9--wreckage? in the S. China Sea. (scroll down to breaking news.)

Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
MH370: Missing plane could have kept flying four hours after disappearing, US investigators say

The Chinese have released satellite photos that were taken March 9--wreckage? in the S. China Sea. (scroll down to breaking news.)
I'm not sure that's current. Isn't that just this old story? Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight May Be Visible On Chinese Satellite Images

Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The article never said that they were flying to Antarctica, just toward it. It never implied the destination. They probably should have simply said south.
That's what I said, too, in my earlier post. The plane was "headed for Antarctica". Who knows why it was heading in that direction.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what I said, too, in my earlier post. The plane was "headed for Antarctica". Who knows why it was heading in that direction.
I think that it is fairly clear that the culprit behind this hijacking didn't want the airliner to be found. The south Indian Ocean is remote and stormy. The odds are probably 10,000 to one that the plane will ever be found given the amount of time since it crashed.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,999 times
CNN has just posted this video. It is from the fisherman. According to him, if this was flight 370.. it was flying VERY low. Several ground witnesses claim they saw Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - CNN.com

Oh, and all the Maldive theories are wrong. ( in that article) It seems like everything is trying to be ruled out, really. It's almost like authorities don't want any answers.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 03-19-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not sure that's current. Isn't that just this old story? Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight May Be Visible On Chinese Satellite Images
It's the same news, yours came out hours earlier. US is not going to bother going there.

This is the most confusing thing I've ever heard of. First it's headed toward China, then it's supposedly turning back, now it headed south. Could be near Australia, of all places. If that guy on the oil rig had his story right, that he and the other workers observed a burning plane and he was somewhere in the area of Viet Nam, (I think) then that meshes with the location and could help provide an explanation of what happened. or not. I need a good map!

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-19-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the same news, yours came out hours earlier. US is not going to bother going there.

This is the most confusing thing I've ever heard of. First it's headed toward China, then it's supposedly turning back, now it headed south. Could be near Australia, of all places. If that guy on the oil rig had his story right, that he and the other workers observed a burning plane and he was somewhere in the area of Viet Nam, (I think) then that meshes with the location and could help provide an explanation of what happened. or not. I need a good map!
Exactly then. The article came out 3/12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation