Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times

Advertisements

I'm losing confidence that they are ever going to find the black box. Isthe pinger not working? Why are they searching from air looking for shadows instead of listening for pings which can be detected up to 5 miles away?

Alos, these bodies that are still in seatbelts, does that mean they are attached to the seat and it floats? Sounds likea major breakup of the fuselage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 03:45 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,630,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Now this could only be explained in 2 ways:

1. People (at least in USA) have a death wish if they think it is better to brave the sky through a storm than not get to that terribly important WHATEVER in time.

2. Airline companies brainwash people (at least those in USA) into thinking that flying is just as safe even through storms. Which obviously it isn't.

Either way, 2 more reasons to lose further faith in humanity and be well on your way to irreparable misanthropy.
Right, because when was the last time a commercial aircraft in the U.S. went down in severe weather? There have been two fatalities in the past 2 years on U.S. soil and they were from a foreign carrier. And that was pilot error, not weather related. How many hundreds of millions of people have survived flying vs. those who didn't? The odds are stacked in your favor that you will safely arrive at your destination when flying.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,856,088 times
didn't mean to infer that I thought the airlines over there should be flying in monsoon season, I don't think they should but we all know that's not how they operate (or are going to operate), or only operate at night when the weather patterns are supposedly less severe. I do feel that these pilots need a lot more training on how to handle these types of unusual weather patterns and not rely on auto pilot as much as they do. But I can see that decisions are made in a matter of seconds/minutes that can be disasterous, or sometimes Mother Nature just wins out in the end. There's a lot we humans have no control over.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,040,149 times
Regarding the current recovery efforts being hampered by weather and visibility under water; I have a question for the technical minds here. I remember in a science class from years ago, proving that magnets work under water. Is there a magnet large enough and powerful enough to search & locate (and then lock onto) fuselage? There's gotta be some way to get around the problem of nil visibility....no?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,630,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Regarding the current recovery efforts being hampered by weather and visibility under water; I have a question for the technical minds here. I remember in a science class from years ago, proving that magnets work under water. Is there a magnet large enough and powerful enough to search & locate (and then lock onto) fuselage? There's gotta be some way to get around the problem of nil visibility....no?
Aluminum is non-magnetic.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:45 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,207,060 times
Essentially, magnets are only good on iron and steel. Aircraft, because they need to be light in weight, don't have a whole lot of that.

Quote:
Aluminum is non-magnetic.
And an Airbus has even less of that...

Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,040,149 times
A "teeny" detail I forgot about. Probably why I never had a career in the sciences...

Old 01-07-2015, 02:36 AM

7,655 posts, read 8,729,058 times
Underwater pictures of parts of the wreckage found are out, including passenger seats and personal belongings. Haunting...

Old 01-07-2015, 04:38 AM

43,710 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Tail of missing AirAsia plane discovered in Java Sea

Old 01-07-2015, 10:39 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,448,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Right, because when was the last time a commercial aircraft in the U.S. went down in severe weather?
It wasn't an US aircraft ...but it was French.

Is France that much worse than the US when it comes to flying? Why couldn't it happen to a US one too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation