Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:31 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times

Advertisements

These posts are hard to read. When someone admits to have a phobia about flying, folks jump right in and say, "But it's safer than driving!"

That's not the issue. This isn't about statisical probabilities. The issue is, this poster (and others) are TERRIFIED of flying. Speaking as someone who suffers this phobia, I can tell you that there just aren't words to describe the terror I feel when I know I'm going to be getting on a plane. I think I'd be less afraid of execution than I am of flying, and no, I am not exaggerating.

I fly 2-3 times a year, and what's worked for me is to just "do it with fear." I get through it by praying, by focusing on the future, and the sheer exhiliration I know I'll feel when I make it back to terra firma safe and sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:45 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
For that kind of route, you were probably on something like an Embraer 145 if it was really as small as you're saying it was. Sounds like a small jet for a route such as Canada-Atlanta, but the airlines were in quite an economical crunch 10 years ago so it wouldn't completely surprise me.

I can tell you there is nothing wrong with those aircraft, and while certainly small and cramped, they're a regional aircraft meant for efficiency/low cost. There certainly nothing "creaky" or "shaky" about it; you make it sound as though it was about to fall apart, which is not the case and just a typical scenario of you over-dramatizing the situation, as it seems you like to do. They're just as safe as larger jets, it's just you're putting a mental block up saying otherwise. The only time you'd experience any kind of shakiness/vibration that you might not get on a larger jet was from the rear fuselage mounted engines, which do tend to vibrate a fair amount in to the cabin, especially towards the back.

Any idea if it looked like this?

Probably an Air Canada CRJ-700 -- slightly bigger, but still small.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
For that kind of route, you were probably on something like an Embraer 145 if it was really as small as you're saying it was. Sounds like a small jet for a route such as Canada-Atlanta, but the airlines were in quite an economical crunch 10 years ago so it wouldn't completely surprise me.

I can tell you there is nothing wrong with those aircraft, and while certainly small and cramped, they're a regional aircraft meant for efficiency/low cost. There certainly nothing "creaky" or "shaky" about it; you make it sound as though it was about to fall apart, which is not the case and just a typical scenario of you over-dramatizing the situation, as it seems you like to do. They're just as safe as larger jets, it's just you're putting a mental block up saying otherwise. The only time you'd experience any kind of shakiness/vibration that you might not get on a larger jet was from the rear fuselage mounted engines, which do tend to vibrate a fair amount in to the cabin, especially towards the back.

I am afraid to fly also.. but I do it...Our trip to Charlotte from Knoxville was on something like this...it was so smooth and nice... couldn't believe it..kind of terrified at first but it was short and sweet...sometimes it just takes once to make you feel better...

OP did you decide to go?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I am afraid to fly also.. but I do it...Our trip to Charlotte from Knoxville was on something like this...it was so smooth and nice... couldn't believe it..kind of terrified at first but it was short and sweet...sometimes it just takes once to make you feel better...

OP did you decide to go?
Yes.
We will end up going with American Airlines - but it says "operated by British Airways".

Does anyone know what that means?
Does it mean these 2 companies collaborate to book flights but that the aircraft, maintenance and crew are provided by BA in this case?

Tickets are booked and for now I am trying not to think about it.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
The Plane, The Crew is BA.

AA sell seats on the BA plane, in what is called CodeShare.

So Yes, the plane crew are BA,

Maintenance checks in the US is probably done by AA maintenance staff, In UK would be done by BA.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Probably an Air Canada CRJ-700 -- slightly bigger, but still small.
Yeah that's what I was thinking of, the CRJ line, I just couldn't remember as it's been a few years since I've had to fly on one of those. I think the last time was 2012 maybe, on a short jaunt from Rochester NY to either LGA or JFK on a Delta flight if I remember correctly. Luckily, this year that streak has been kept alive so far

Old 04-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Plane, The Crew is BA.

AA sell seats on the BA plane, in what is called CodeShare.

So Yes, the plane crew are BA,

Maintenance checks in the US is probably done by AA maintenance staff, In UK would be done by BA.
And are they considered good?...

I mean...do these airlines have their "thing" together, generally speaking? ...
In terms of technical skill, maintenance AND security?
The latter is especially important given the 2 flags that typically attract a certain amount of trouble...

Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:

My husband says it may have been that. All I remember was that it was very small inside and very low.
I almost felt like I could hit my head to the ceiling and I am only 5'7".

Then again, given the state i was in...my memories should be taken with a grain of salt.

All in all, it felt like a nightmare - but then I passed out.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
And are they considered good?...

I mean...do these airlines have their "thing" together, generally speaking? ...
In terms of technical skill, maintenance AND security?
The latter is especially important given the 2 flags that typically attract a certain amount of trouble...
BA has there act together. Pilots on the level of High Time US Flagged Pilots, FA etc. BA does Contract maintenance work for other airlines in the UK,

Security is done by TSA in the US, and the British Level of security is same or better then TSA, from my dealings with them.

AA other then maybe providing Ground services at the US gateway city, has nothing to do with the flight.

BA/AA is mostly a marketing arrangement. AA can sell seats on BA planes, BA can sell seats on AA planes its called Code-Sharing.

Codeshare agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2015, 02:48 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Yes.
We will end up going with American Airlines - but it says "operated by British Airways".

Does anyone know what that means?
Does it mean these 2 companies collaborate to book flights but that the aircraft, maintenance and crew are provided by BA in this case?

Tickets are booked and for now I am trying not to think about it.
Great.....now just don't worry about over thinking things airlines..routines...weather..types of planes..none of it matters...It isn't going to change things...I was very scared of flying too..almost missed my sons grad school graduation..made all the excuses..i.e he doesn't care..too far...too much..I don't know my way around NYC etc etc etc... worried about the flight...turbulence...panic attacks..etc etc etc... felt like an awful mother....just because I was scared..but since then, I have taken cruises... flown to Puerto Rico and now when I plan a trip the day before leaving I am as excited as ever....I am sure everything will be fine... You may just find out that you like it and it isn;t a bad as you think!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation