Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times

Advertisements

Some years back, as a 30 something single guy, on a whim, I decided to spend New Year's in Tel Aviv.
I booked a flight, not on El-Al as I recall, and went to Gatwick Airport to check in, having decided to check out hotels on arrival.
While standing in line, someone came along, checking passports.
When he got to me, he looked at it, and asked me to step out of line, which I did.
I had an entry and exit stamp from Cyprus, (Greek side), and he wanted to know why I'd visited there.
I told him truthfully, "U.K. cold and rainy, Cyprus, warm and sunny", he wanted to know if I'd gone there alone, I told him truthfully that no, I'd been with a girlfriend.
Did I meet anyone there? no, only car rental agents, waiters, and barmen/barmaids.
Eventually he was satisfied and put me back in line where I'd been when he'd approached me, all that I could think, was that Cyprus had lots of Mid-East arabs there when I was there, maybe he was concerned that I met up with some of them.
The next thing was that the flight went via Eilat, an Israeli resort on the Red Sea.
As the plane circled on approach, around 19.00 hrs., I could see the beach, the sea, the lights of bars and restaurants, people strolling the streets etc.
I said to a flight attendant, "This place looks good, forget Tel-Aviv, any chance of getting off here?"
Next thing, on landing, but still on board, I'm button holed by 2 tough looking guys, who gave me a 3rd degree about what, why, and when, how much hold baggage I had, where was my carry on, could they check it, the whole 9 yards.
They flicked through my passport too, while I said, "Okay, okay, I get it, I didn't think it through, I'm sorry that I asked, forget it, I'll sit back down and go to Tel-Aviv,"
In retrospect, they were absolutely on the ball, and I'm glad they were, and I had displayed my usual complete absence of common sense.
Much better to suffer the mild inconvenience of security people who know what they're doing, than the possible alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:03 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Great op-ed piece on why American airports are the laughingstock of the world.

From the same author also making a brilliant argument on why American airport security is a joke.
Passenger profiling is subject to the risk of being a violation of the 5th and 14th Amendment Due Processes Clauses, except in cases where the profile can be demonstrated by evidence. Reasonableness is no longer enough. That's why law enforcement agencies always deny using it. This may change with the new Supreme Court, but who wants to wait and go through the expense of prosecuting every case.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
I think that everyone should be profiled but you will get push back from people who think that they 'don't look like a terrorist'. Increased and upgraded security at airports should be a priority but people don't want to pay for that.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:47 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Great op-ed piece on why American airports are the laughingstock of the world.

From the same author also making a brilliant argument on why American airport security is a joke.

Brilliant is right, great article!

Very sad thing is that the mindset of many Americans and in particular those in government is to keep fighting old wars, rather than seriously think about what is to or could come.

Would venture to say a good one-half to one-third of the so called "airline security" is a total and complete BS fest. Nothing more than what Congress loves to do best; spend taxpayers money and in particular shovel it towards this or that favorite *in* company or whoever de jour.

At least every other day or week you have reports of this or that airport or airline employee caught smuggling drugs into the USA. Common sense tells us that those are just the ones who are found, there surely are others that simply continue to carry on. Well if they can get a kilo (or more) of cocaine or heroin on board a plane a bomb shouldn't be that difficult.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I think that everyone should be profiled but you will get push back from people who think that they 'don't look like a terrorist'. Increased and upgraded security at airports should be a priority but people don't want to pay for that.
Yes, it's the same mindset thieves use so they 'don't look like a shoplifter'.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
It seems ridiculous that some people pass through security with knives and even guns occasionally, but if you have a bottle of wine or some fruit you are considered a criminal!

Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Wait, what? How does having fruit when going through security make you a criminal?

I know there are border protections that are customs issues but that doesn't have anything to do with security and at non-commercial quantities it would be a civil action, most likely simpley having to throw it away.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Wait, what? How does having fruit when going through security make you a criminal?

I know there are border protections that are customs issues but that doesn't have anything to do with security and at non-commercial quantities it would be a civil action, most likely simpley having to throw it away.
You've never been to Hawaii, have you?

Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You've never been to Hawaii, have you?
Mother side of my family is from Hawaii (near Kailua) and I went to Kaneohe Elementary School.

Can you explain how this is a security issue that makes someone a criminal? Is there a fear someone will strike the pilot over the head with a hidden banana and hijack the plane? Nope.

It is a Customs or Dept of Agriculture issue that has nothing to do with TSA and security. If you get caught with a piece of fruit that you failed to dump into their amnesty trash can what charges will be brought that make you a criminal? None. You'll probably have to throw it away with a warning, if they think you did it on purpose or inspector is having a bad day you'll get a fine. Saying it makes you a criminal is like saying everyone who gets a parking ticket is a criminal, it isn't because it's a civil offense.

Civil offenses can become criminal charges at certain degrees, but your average tourist who forgot about the orange in their backpack isn't going to end their Hawaii vacation with a criminal record.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
In retrospect, they were absolutely on the ball, and I'm glad they were, and I had displayed my usual complete absence of common sense.
Do you think the attendant thought you actually wanted the plane to land in Eilat? Maybe it was in 'how' you made your comment.

I don't think anyone who actually wanted the plant to land there, would have 'asked.'

I'm not saying random checks don't thwart incidents. And even one avoidance is to be applauded. But I'd have to research whether it's the best security procedure, for man/woman hours spent for neer-do-wells apprehended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation