Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,064 times

Advertisements

Been a long while since posting on the forums here. Lately I have been thinking of the idea of learning how to pilot an aircraft. Thing is year after year I have always have thoughts on being a captain, being able to fly my own way to anywhere I would like.

Currently I am in the trucking industry as a chemical tank driver, and being almost 40 years old I wonder if I still have a chance to learn flying. I don't believe its ever too late to learn and try something new. I don't plan to fly as a career though just mostly as a hobby and say if I wanted to take vacation somewhere I could fly anywhere I wanted to go and not have to worry about the 'junk' molesting TSA and other trials of airport life.

I think its amazing that teens as early as 16 can learn to fly, I wish I had that motivation when I was that age....but to try and enjoy something different would be awesome, even at my current age. I probably should do some research on ground schools and costs which I know there are many. If I can pass a DOT physical then I should do fine for the FAA physical, though I know they may be a bit more involved compared to DOT medicals. I also wear corrective lenses for everyday driving and have read that as long as the vision is corrected to 20/20 its okay to have glasses.

Hey, we only live once here...may as well look into it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
If you want top try your hand at this and take advantage of GA transport ...

Do it.

"almost 40" is hardly the stuff of being "too late" to take this up.

As well, you may be more financially capable at this point to pay for the training/plane rentals without struggling to keep up with your learning pace.

Don't forget to have fun with this.

Later, if you've got the resources, buying and flying your own aircraft can be a most rewarding venture. Lots of airplanes int he market for sale today at reasonable prices to meet many different mission objectives.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,043 times
AVTechMan,

Go for it. Both my husband and myself learned to fly in our middle ages. You are never too old to learn something new. Instead of embarking on ground schools etc, I'd suggest to take a discovery flight first to see how you like it.

If you just want to fly for enjoyment, you don't need to get a private pilot licence passing FAA medical etc. You should definitely check into obtaining a sport pilot certificate which only requires a valid driver licence. It also takes much less time, money and effort.

You can read more about sport pilot requirements here

Frequently Asked Questions About Sport Pilot - AOPA

Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
40 is nowhere near too old. Go for it. It is immensely satisfying/enjoyable. The medical is quite thorough for a first class medical, required for professional pilots, but you'd only need a third class. If you can pass a DOT exam you should be ok.. check out the items underneath the 'third class column' here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ide/standards/

The feeling you'll get on first solo flights is one you will never forget!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
What has not been addressed to a greater detail, is the initial cost to become a pilot.
Depending on how much funding is available, it has stopped many would-like-to-be pilots.

Then after the training and receiving whatever pilots rating,
often the cost of renting or owning a plane may become prohibitive.

As always there are ways to satisfy the desire to be *just in the air* !

Akin to owning an ATV, there are Ultralights which can be flown
for about the same cost as a good size ATV.

I received my training as a pilot, courtesy of the American public,
who was kind enough to pay taxes, and so Uncle Sam trained me to fly helos.
After I got out, it was very expensive to fly a helo for fun.
It is also a nerve wrecking experience !
I ended up flying ultralights just for fun.

I can yank my plane anywhere behind my little Honda.
I can find plenty of *uncontrolled* airspace (at least where I live today).
When I find at least 700 feet open space I can take off or land.
I can toodle around for about 2 hours at a stretch at 4 gallons per hour.
Because of the very low speed I can fly (about 30 mph) I can fly *thru* canyons !
I can fly 2 feet off the ground or I can fly all the way up to 10,000 feet.
What I fly today is NOT a traveling mode !!

So ... , determine what funding is available,
find out what you can afford and then go from there.
But ... , do not give up.
As I mentioned above, there are more ways then one to get up in the air !!

There is a thought somewhere that goes something like this:
If our creator meant for us NOT to fly, he would have given us roots.
If our creator meant for us to fly, he would have blessed us with more money ...

Somewhere, there has to be happy medium, no ?

Last edited by irman; 09-01-2015 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
40 isn't even Close to being "too old". When I opened this thread I was thinking you might be in your 70's

Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
40 isn't even Close to being "too old". When I opened this thread I was thinking you might be in your 70's
I thought the same. I'd love to be 40 again! You are not too old to pick up flying.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:48 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,330 times
The average age of active general aviation pilots is in their 50's. So your are not old. I didn't start flying till my early 30's and I will say that it has been for more rewarding then I ever thought it would be. It is full of memories that you will never forget.

Don't let the stories about owning an aircraft to be too expensive. The truth is that if you can afford a new car you can afford a small aircraft. I have owned an aircraft for 30 years and know every expense and it's not the bad.

Sport and recreational licenses could be the best for you, however to get the full experience the private pilot license allows full use of the aviation system with no restriction to distance day or night and allows instrument training, but the private does require a third class medical at this time. There is a bill going through the house and senate to eliminate the requirement for a medical for private pilots. I'm hoping the bill passes.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 AM

361 posts, read 385,544 times
I was feeling a bit sour when I got to work this morning but your post cheered me up.

When me and my cohorts are talking about someone in his/her forties we refer to them as a KID.

I assume if its something you have thought about for awhile, it will be fun. When you are young you think of the future, when old you think of the past. (That will make sense to you one day)

As far as financing your adventure into the wild blue yonder............... I'm not suggesting you let your house go into foreclosure but I'm surrounded by people who put off fulfilling their dreams in order to have a "rainy day" fund. Of course that "rainy day" came but no amount of money could change that circumstance.

I had a few friends pass away last year, it was very instructive. Statistically you have 40 or so years left.......................stop wasting time KID

Last edited by Quiettimect; 09-02-2015 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: scrivener's error

Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 AM

60 posts, read 81,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
What has not been addressed to a greater detail, is the initial cost to become a pilot.
Depending on how much funding is available, it has stopped many would-like-to-be pilots.

Then after the training and receiving whatever pilots rating,
often the cost of renting or owning a plane may become prohibitive.

As always there are ways to satisfy the desire to be *just in the air* !

Akin to owning an ATV, there are Ultralights which can be flown
for about the same cost as a good size ATV.

I received my training as a pilot, courtesy of the American public,
who was kind enough to pay taxes, and so Uncle Sam trained me to fly helos.
After I got out, it was very expensive to fly a helo for fun.
It is also a nerve wrecking experience !
I ended up flying ultralights just for fun.

I can yank my plane anywhere behind my little Honda.
I can find plenty of *uncontrolled* airspace (at least where I live today).
When I find at least 700 feet open space I can take off or land.
I can toodle around for about 2 hours at a stretch at 4 gallons per hour.
Because of the very low speed I can fly (about 30 mph) I can fly *thru* canyons !
I can fly 2 feet off the ground or I can fly all the way up to 10,000 feet.
What I fly today is NOT a traveling mode !!

So ... , determine what funding is available,
find out what you can afford and then go from there.
But ... , do not give up.
As I mentioned above, there are more ways then one to get up in the air !!

There is a thought somewhere that goes something like this:
If our creator meant for us NOT to fly, he would have given us roots.
If our creator meant for us to fly, he would have blessed us with more money ...

Somewhere, there has to be happy medium, no ?
Where does one find a beginner ultrlight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation