Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:16 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,437 times

Advertisements

I can't help but think that some who have responded are thinking too small.

Just give some thought to say.... a modified Patriot system.

The rotary ALCM launchers could likely be redesigned to accept such a missile.

The air frame itself is certainly capable of lifting the weight.

Precision, range, and lethality would likely negate any need for stealth or maneuver.

There is probably enough room to allow for a self contained phased array radar system.

I could see this working.

A final thought......

If such a system could be developed, it could possibly be able to handle attacking long range missile during the boost phase.

I am thinking in terms of SCUDS during the Gulf War....

Or, dare I say it.... a North Korean nuclear missile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Ask Fairchild how that worked out with the A-10 program. They were warned when they announced that a retiring general who had been involved with the selection of the A-10 over the A-9 that if they did hire the general there would be no follow on contracts after the initial one. Even after some back and forth when they were warned that politically the AF would not be able to buy any more aircraft if a major player on the evaluation team were hired by the builder of the winning design. Fairchild hired the guy and no more aircraft were ordered.

Yea retiring officers often get jobs with the aircraft companies, but you can't flaunt it too much.
I didn't even know that one - I was thinking of the Air Tanker mess-up.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:57 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I didn't even know that one - I was thinking of the Air Tanker mess-up.
Very few remember it. Maybe you had to be there at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation