Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times

Advertisements

Is there an aviation incident that extremely shocked and/or disturbed you?

For me personally, the crashes of MH17 and Air France Flight 447 got to me the most. Mh17 was inexcusable and very disquieting. Air France was extremely shocking as it happened out of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:05 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,169,572 times
The B52 crash at Fairchild AFB in 1994. I was born in Spokane in '70 and lived there until I was 26. Watching (and feeling) B52s fly over was an everyday occurrence back then. The crash was the beginning of the end of B52s at Fairchild and Spokane just wasn't the same after they left.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
watching the 9/11 attacks on TV

Old 02-21-2016, 02:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,435,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
watching the 9/11 attacks on TV
Same here.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 AM

24,305 posts, read 13,149,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
The B52 crash at Fairchild AFB in 1994. I was born in Spokane in '70 and lived there until I was 26. Watching (and feeling) B52s fly over was an everyday occurrence back then. The crash was the beginning of the end of B52s at Fairchild and Spokane just wasn't the same after they left.
Mine too. And reading the official and public investigations... it wasn't an accident, it was a crime.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:58 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Being that I was in NYC on 9/11 and actually took the subway from under the WTC the day before attacks, definitely the 9/11 intentionally crashing of jetliners in the WTC.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:59 AM

786 posts, read 811,870 times
Although I survived a plane crash in which aircrew and passengers were killed, I tend to be affected more deeply by the suffering of others. For instance, I was more upset on seeing Concorde crashing, perhaps because I had for some time focused on its inelegant and unnecessarily vulnerable design; and I was so-much so about four years ago when the government of Poland was killed in a crash similar to that in which I had been a victim that I took it on myself to call-in on and offer my condolences to a Polish girl friend who owns and runs a wine bar in Leipzig. On the other hand, watching planes or rocket ships explode spectacularly in war or science fiction films can be somehow satisfying. And the depiction of such crashes in comic or serious books can inform us of ironic things. For example, when the plane that I was in crashed into a forest at night, all went dark inside it until the fuel vapour exploded, at which point I saw around me the air form, for a moment, into a matrix of large cuboids that were marked by bright strips of burning vapour only at their edges. And I saw such a pattern only once again, in a comic book story of a plane crash. Perhaps reading about such events can familiarise us to cope a little better with them. I think that having read most of 'Captain' W E John's Biggles books may have prepared me for that crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biggles

http://www.biggles.info/

Last edited by OldChina; 02-21-2016 at 07:51 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
All plane incidents give bother me. I fly often, and do not care for it. The Soviets shooting down Korean Air 007 affected me personally perhaps more because I used to fly that. But, I hate hearing of any incident.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Personally,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramste..._show_disaster

Now, I wasn't there, just my life was directly affected the night after, flying back and forth over the US. I flew Space A out of Kelly AFB (if I recall correctly), into the AFB at St. Louis and was looking forward to a night in the snack bar after the terminal closed for a morning flight to Andrews. I had returned from checking my pistol into the armory for the night when the clerk said, "Hey, Lieutenant, if you can get your pistol out of the armory, a special flight just came up." So I hoofed it over to the armory, got my pistol, hoofed it back to the terminal. There were two side incidents, but those can be skipped here.

Caught the Medevac, flew back to San Antonio to land at the civilian airport, picked up a burn team out of Brooks, and then flew to Dover where I deplaned. Caught a land shuttle back to Andrews to pick up my car.

Now, not so personally?

That would probably be Pan Am 110
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_R..._and_hijacking

Members of my community were on that flight, burned, and for what 9/11 is for most Americans in bringing terrorism home to them, Pan Am 110 is to me.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:50 AM

786 posts, read 811,870 times
I consider how plane crashes could be avoided. And as someone with no more technical expertise than to have made over three-hundred model aircraft, mostly to my own design, I fancy that unconstrained opinions may sometimes be ironically constructive. My recentest is that so as to avoid short-circuiting or overheating of a lesser sort, each high-capacity (eg, lithium) battery should be removed from every cellphone, computer, or torch that is put on a plane. After all. the airplane's own accumulators are dangerous enough. But mainly it's to do with the bravado of pilots or poor design. For example, I can't see why military personnel may be made to travel in the appalling Chinook helicopter. I would devise and implement immediately the means by which any helicopter would survive a crash. And with the lumbering Airbus─380 &c in-mind, I worry about how unknowing passengers are put into planes that are inelegant to begin with that tend to be 'stretched' or tweaked into tail-heavy or unbalanced monstrosities with spindly wings and tailfin made so large to steady them that it is vulnerable to shearing-off in turbulent conditions. A plane is not a model of a bird – it should take-off eagerly, accelerate confidently, cut through the air so precisely that its occupants ought to be able to stick their fingers up at weather-patterns of the most inclement sort and land surely. And that shouldn't be too hard to do –where there's a will, there's a way

Last edited by OldChina; 02-21-2016 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation