Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 02:45 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

Having no control over what is going on. I love how the A380 has the forward cam but have not flown on one yet. Every airline has TV's or some kind of entertainment but no way of seeing out of the front. I don't care if it's clouds passing by or whatever, it would help with my feeling of having absolutely no control over what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:50 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I get very stressed, as I have some anxiety anyway, and being in a situation where little is in my control brings out all my anxiety. My biggest fears are seemingly silly things, number one is not getting an overhead bin in front of my seat - I pay extra for early boarding on Southwest only due to that fear. Also when I have a connection I am always clock-watching the board for the first flight, worried it'll be late then I'll spend the whole flight paranoid I'll miss the second flight. Often I'll pick a connecting flight that leaves several hours after the first is supposed to get there, so I can relax and not worry about it (I have no problem entertaining myself in a modern airport).

I also get to the airport at least 3 hours early because I'm afraid there'll be an accident or something to make me late...yes, I am tons of fun to travel with, LOL

Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Other people.
Being rude, reclining their seats, etc.

Almost all my stress with anything (from driving to going to a movie) is anticipation of poor behavior by other people.
Right on. I can't take rudeness or people reclining their seats into my personal space (I put my knee out so they feel it and can't recline any further).

I also hate when people keep their reading lights on/window shades open when most of the plane/others around them are trying to sleep.

Other than that, I have a general fear of flying, which leads for an overall stressful flight.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:46 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
loud children

Old 09-20-2016, 03:55 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,026,852 times
For me, it is the feeling that I am trapped in the airplane. I am okay when the plane is moving, but if it is stopped on the runway for more than a minute, I start feeling panicky. The last time I flew, a couple of months ago, I was able to get some relief from this by using a homeopathic remedy recommended by my dentist, but I still don't like it.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:25 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
For me, it is the feeling that I am trapped in the airplane. I am okay when the plane is moving, but if it is stopped on the runway for more than a minute, I start feeling panicky. The last time I flew, a couple of months ago, I was able to get some relief from this by using a homeopathic remedy recommended by my dentist, but I still don't like it.

I understand that feeling of being trapped. I get that if stuck in traffic!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I am a very nervous flyer. I can't sleep on the plane. Any any bump I am looking around at others...

I also let my seat mate know I am a very nervous flyer. I'm not going to be bothering him or her, but I will be visually checking in....I only think it's right to let them know someone squirrelly is sitting next to them....

Sometimes a mom will sit next to me... I find their chatter soothing....I did say I was squirrelly...

Old 09-20-2016, 05:30 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Yep ^^^^^^ Going to and from my vacation hotel not being familiar with the roads.
For this you get a taxi, or Uber.....or whatever is used nowadays.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:43 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
My biggest stress has been a delayed flight resulting in possibly missing a connecting flight and being stuck at the airport until another flight is available to my destination.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Right on. I can't take rudeness or people reclining their seats into my personal space (I put my knee out so they feel it and can't recline any further).

I also hate when people keep their reading lights on/window shades open when most of the plane/others around them are trying to sleep.

Other than that, I have a general fear of flying, which leads for an overall stressful flight.
I enjoy watching the scenery roll by; I find it very interesting. Sometimes I will read which requires good lighting. Seems to me you would spend ten bucks on some eye shades if light prevents your desire to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation