Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,899,572 times

Advertisements

Most of their fleet is the MD83, born from the DC9 family. There are a few A319's and A320's. I agree that the planes are not really the problem, but maintenance can be another story with any airline. On the positve side, they do offer service to many smaller markets that had little or none before. And they do provide some of the lowest fares, perhaps outside of Spirit.

I have flown on Allegiant twice, and both times the planes (MD83's) seemed to be somewhat aged, both from the interior and the actual "feel" of the flight, but that could just be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
Does anyone know of web sites that track latest statistics for Allegient and other airlines overall? Especially for the last half of 2016, or 2016 entirely? Or maybe something that tracks by month and might soon have Jan 2017 data?

I found an article from Nov 2016 and it was from an interview with a top Allegiant mgr saying that they have new procedures and they are seeing good improvement. He quoted some numbers that showed massive improvement( for example, cut the numbers if half for some issues ). But he might have only quoted the numbers worth bragging about. That's why I want to see real stats overall.

I am planning an early summer trip and Allegient is the only airline which offers direct flights to my destination. Therefore, taking Allegiant saves several hours of driving to/from the airport which is very convenient.

If I can see some newer data it will help me make a decision on choosing Allegient versus driving several hours longer.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
I just booked a flight on Southwest instead of Allegiant, due to the Allegiant maintenance issues report from last year. Allegiant was much more convenvient for me due to airport logistics, but I chose Southwest instead this time. I couldn't find any recent statistics that tell us whether Allegiant has improved. Maybe in 2017 there will be official numbers coming out that will show whether Allegiant has made improvements.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:56 PM

457 posts, read 662,092 times
Being a multi-million mile air traveler over the past half century, I have no hesitation boarding a MD 80/90 aircraft. (The Jack Screw issue has been exposed and corrected.)

My only reason for refusing to fly Allegiant Airlines is their policy of endless add-ons! The advertised fare is usually doubled by the time one has booked their flight, prepaid for two pieces of baggage, selected a particular seat and have endured the irritation of being charged to use a credit card. I consider Allegiant (along with Spirit, Jet Blue and others with similar policies) to be conducting the worst Bait and Switch scam in the travel industry.

Thanks, but I'll stick with WN!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 PM

A note in passing... the earlier references to Value Jet and aging aircraft in general, while well intentioned perhaps, is dead wrong. The Value Jet DC-9 crash in Florida was a result of what the plane was carrying. Defective O2 generators, carried as freight, is what caused the in-flight fire of Value Jet. Nothing wrong with the older DC-9 aircraft.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
Allegiant had a bunch of MD80's fail to rotate or in some cases lose elevator control on rotation over the last year or two. Lots of changes have been made internally, hope it starts to fix their lack of safety culture.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Allegiant had a bunch of MD80's fail to rotate or in some cases lose elevator control on rotation over the last year or two. Lots of changes have been made internally, hope it starts to fix their lack of safety culture.

If there was a loss of control on rotation, it would have been broadcast on every media outlet as the
crash it certainly would have been! Aborted rotation is a crew judgement call. If an aircraft failed to respond to control input raising the nose, you can bet your backside, that takeoff would be aborted!

Old 04-04-2017, 04:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,349,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
They need to get those new Air Buses and get rid of the old worn out MD-80s!
They aren't buying anything new. The A320s and A319s that they are buying aren't in any better shape than the MD-80s were when they bought them. The engine explosions will just be under the wing now.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,349,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Does anyone know of web sites that track latest statistics for Allegient and other airlines overall? Especially for the last half of 2016, or 2016 entirely? Or maybe something that tracks by month and might soon have Jan 2017 data?

I found an article from Nov 2016 and it was from an interview with a top Allegiant mgr saying that they have new procedures and they are seeing good improvement. He quoted some numbers that showed massive improvement( for example, cut the numbers if half for some issues ). But he might have only quoted the numbers worth bragging about. That's why I want to see real stats overall.

I am planning an early summer trip and Allegient is the only airline which offers direct flights to my destination. Therefore, taking Allegiant saves several hours of driving to/from the airport which is very convenient.

If I can see some newer data it will help me make a decision on choosing Allegient versus driving several hours longer.

I read a Tampa Bay Times article that said that Allegiant aircraft are four times more likely to suffer a mechanical failure in flight than those operated by any other major airline. Three days after the article ran, an Allegiant MD-80 suffered an engine failure on a takeoff run, closing the St. Petersburg airport for several hours.

Thousands of people flew Allegiant last year thinking their planes wouldn’t fail in the air. They were wrong.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
They need to get those new Air Buses and get rid of the old worn out MD-80s!
The Airbuses are no bargain either. The age of the Airbus fleets is less than the Boeing and former
Douglas. The reason being, they are wear out sooner and are relegated to the boneyard comparatively sooner than the others.

The reason Airbus sells as many planes as they do is because they sell them cheap, with government
subsidized financing. Taste of reality: a 25 year old Airbus is in far worse condition than a 25 year old
Boeing 737....the Airbuses are easy to find, they are in the bone-yards. The 737's are still flying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation