Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I had a classmate in UPT who was a Guardsman and had been an F-4 WSO; my primary T-38 instructor was a former F-4 pilot. They both said that the F-4 didn't use ailerons for roll unless completely unloaded (1 or less G). Otherwise in order to turn the pilot led with the rudder and applied back stick pressure. The aircraft would then roll. Applying aileron to roll while the AOA was building up was, in a hard-wing F-4 (not a slatted F-4E or later), a bad idea. The slatted F-4 fixed that. My T-38 IP demoed it, it was pretty neat, as the T-38 would rudder-roll all day with its stubby low aspect ratio wings. (Same wing area as a C-172 but 6 times the weight.) The F-16 computer wouldn't let you rudder-roll.

In any aircraft if you roll to 90 degrees and pull the aircraft will nose slice. Killed a friend of mine in the A-10 when he overbanked and was looking at a bandit behind him, didn't see the nose slice until it was too late. At 500 feet AGL a 75 degree banked turn requires ~4 Gs to maintain level flight (1/[cosine of bank angle]); with a ten degree overbank to 85 degrees the "time to die" is 5.7 seconds. This is in any aircraft (although not totally true, top rudder in some aircraft may delay that time), at any airspeed. At 90 degrees the cosine of the bank angle is zero. 1 divided by zero is infinity, so at 90 degrees of bank, unless some aerodynamic surface is providing lift, the aircraft will descend. A-10, T-6, F-16, F-35, A380, doesn't matter. Remember the B-52 crash at Fairchild in the 90s? Overbank. I used to teach that very class when a schoolhouse instructor, and we used to say "physics have no regard for rank or experience level".

Whew. Time to go to BWW for a beer.
Thank you. If we were local, that beer would be on me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:52 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
I got to see the Blue Angels in 71 and T-Birds in 73 when I was in AF. I'm no pilot but I remember those rock-steady and carefree fighter pilots at the pool at the 'O' club and I sure was jealous. Just being around the F4 was enough to make you step a little lighter. One time we heard Steve Ritchie was on our base or maybe he was there all the time and one of our crew had seen him. Excitement for a country boy pogue! We used to sit on a road at the end of the runway and get our jollies watching the F4's take off at Holoman. It was fun getting your brain scrambled for a few minutes. I'll always remember the Phantom and the Hercules.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
My Marine squadron was the only photo reconnaissance unit in the Corps. One great thing about those photo bays, they could hold a lot of lobster! (Or other local souvenirs)
RIP you old bent-winged-bug-sucker.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I remember F-4's operating over the Mekong Delta when I was playing the ugly boatman game in 1966 or so. Loud, fast and not very helpful.

Sluggo - Thanks for the math on turning etc. I was at a special airshow in Concord, NH when a copy of the Grenville family was witnesses a copy of a 1930 something GB-R2 flying. The amazing thing was watching a milk bottle shaped (blunt end forward) airplane, that had the reputation of being nearly impossible to control, not just fly but dance. At one point it actually climbed out with the wings vertical and the lift developed by the fat fuselage. This shape accommodated a radial engine and was the basis of the Navy fighters during WW2.

After the show the pilot, Mr. Delmar Benjamin, filled the tanks and said he would be flying home to Kalispell, MT before dark.

Last I heard the airplane and the builder/pilot were both retired.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I only worked on one F-4 and it was a transient in the late 1960s.

Sorry to see the fighter go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation