Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:06 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times

Advertisements

so much potential in cuba. It should be annexed immediately and become the 51 state.

We could be growing food that we can't grow in the US. good soil. Nice beaches.

Communists don't know how to run the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:34 PM

42 posts, read 49,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have no idea why anyone would want to go to a 3rd world country. I guess because they can afford it and say they've been there. Waste of money.
Caribbean countries are classified as 3rd world countries. People visit Barbados, Jamaica, Belize, etc. all the time.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:45 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,224,480 times
I visited Cuba in 2013 and had an amazing time. Yes, the embargo and difficult times after the fall of the USSR have left their marks on Cuba. But the food was good (the restaurants I went to definitely had windows, what an absurdity to suggest otherwise) and extremely reasonable. There were many cultural opportunities. The cities and countryside were beautiful. The people were friendly and normal.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We spend winters in the FL Keys. In December roughly 112 Cubans arrived in make shift boats. Now that the Wet Foot Dry Foot has been eliminated, they are now smuggling Cubans in. This week they caught 29 Cubans being brought into the Keys illegally in a speedboat. If the Cubans don't want to stay there, I have no desire to go there either.
What a truly ignorant post.

What's surprising about extremely poor people trying to escape to improve their lives? And why do you feel (looking at your other posts too) that Cuba doesn't necessary have something of value to offer people? Most places have a starting point as such before they become full fledged and modernized.

FWIW, I have spent a lot of time in the Keys too. Your attitude is unfortunately common among the older snowbirds who only speak English.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,398 times
I predicted as much on 11-28-2016. The State Dept has to take some blame for encouraging airlines to overbid.

Quote:
I think the airlines are going to take a big bath on Cuban service for a few years until the rest of the tourism infrastructure catches up.
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/aviat...#ixzz4bMJMuKjR

Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There are tons of all-inclusive resorts all over Cuba. The biggest cluster is probably in Varadero. Larger Canadian Tour operators like Sunwing actually own resorts in Cuba. You fly on a Sunwing flight there and stay at a Sunwing resort. They have a large and very organized operation down there. The country has been consistently one of the cheapest places for Canadians to get an all inclusive vacation for decades now. Consistently about 1 million Canadians visit Cuba per year. You are right that most go simply for an all inclusive resort type vacation by the beach type thing. During a Canadian winter this isn't necessarily a bad thing!

There are also a few resorts in around Havana as well. You can take a bus into Havana for about 3 CUC (about 3 USD as they peg their dollar to the American). So in this regard you can combine a city and beach vacation though typically these resorts are not as good as in Varadero, Holguin or Santa Clara.

Last Minute Travel Deals | All inclusive Vacations | Vacation Packages | Discount Travel | Vacation Deals

I've been to Cuba four times now - 2 times on Sunwing and two times on Cubana and always have a blast. Going through Customs/Immigration is easy for Canadians atleast. They never ask questions and don't even stamp passport. I've seen Americans flying out of Toronto to Cuba but not sure if they are subject to any special conditions or if their passports are stamped or not. If they are flying on a Canadian Carrier I doubt it lol..

If you don't want to go to a resort you can also just fly there and backpack around the country. One of the more interesting experiences is to stay at a Casa Particular. You basically rent a room or an apartment and stay with the locals. Generally they go for about 25 CUC (25-30USD) per night in Havana and less in smaller cities. I've stayed in a few before and they are great. Viazul is the bus service in Cuba - you can go all over the island with this and for a very reasonable price. I highly recommend Pinar Del Rio, Vinalas Valley, Trinidad and Santiago De Cuba.
Thanks

It was Sunwing we went down with but stayed in a Cuban hotel not a resort. I looked up the Casa Particular when we came back for maybe next time. I would love to go to Trinidad and Ceinfurgeous (spelling) unfortunately all the flights there seem to go out of Pearson and not Calgary. Maybe someday will use Air miles to fly to TO, visit family and fly south. At the airport the only checking you out is to see if you can stand on the right spot when they are taking your photo. The only crabby person I met as well.

Our one day bus tour went to Pinar del Rio where we toured the bottling plant for the liquor, I forgot the name and to lazy to go to the cabinet and look it up but had been requested to buy a bottle for my brother and after tasting it I could see why. I forget the name of the local pop but it was better than ginger ale or 7up and half the price of Coke.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Cuba is still a 3rd world destination. I know a group of folks that went last year and found it interesting but they had dinner one night in a restaurant with NO WINDOWS! They were all broken out, not replaced.
I'm pretty sure that is called air conditioning down there!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Thanks

It was Sunwing we went down with but stayed in a Cuban hotel not a resort. I looked up the Casa Particular when we came back for maybe next time. I would love to go to Trinidad and Ceinfurgeous (spelling) unfortunately all the flights there seem to go out of Pearson and not Calgary. Maybe someday will use Air miles to fly to TO, visit family and fly south. At the airport the only checking you out is to see if you can stand on the right spot when they are taking your photo. The only crabby person I met as well.

Our one day bus tour went to Pinar del Rio where we toured the bottling plant for the liquor, I forgot the name and to lazy to go to the cabinet and look it up but had been requested to buy a bottle fo r my brother and after tasting it I could see why. I forget the name of the local pop but it was better than ginger ale or 7up and half the price of Coke.
Cienfuegos and maybe Guayabita Pinar Del Rio rum is in the cabinet - I think I paid 3.50 CUC for the bottle but that bottle is loooong gone lol.

They have a Pineapple soda there that is actually quite good! Pretty decent brew as well - Bucanero - the one in the red can that is strong- can't beat it and a buck a can The Cubans are a lot more self-reliant and resourceful than the world gives them credit for. Through difficult times they seem to make it work. If you ever go back by all means PM me and i'd be happy to share any advice you might think is useful!

Last edited by fusion2; 03-14-2017 at 10:18 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
It should be annexed immediately and become the 51 state.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:36 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can't you still go yhrough another country like Mexico with no problems? I know someone who went a number of times long before there was even talk of lifting travel restrictions from the US.

Well you *can* but United States officials long were wise to that game. Federal officials were stationed at airports in Canada, Mexico and other local area ports or airports with direct flights/travel to and from Cuba. They were looking for Americans getting returning from that island. Know of persons who also went to Cuba via Canada or Mexico back in the 1990's. They were advised to cool their heels for a day or so before boarding a flight back to USA.

Cuba-Junky, US traveler's information for Cuba

That being said in this post 9/11/01 world US government knows much about our travels anyway; this comes from requiring airlines to hand over passenger manifests. The fact USA has rarely prosecuted persons for traveling to Cuba likely was behind that country stamping all passports a few years ago.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...vel-ban-to-end

People seem to believe just because they weren't stopped at US border or upon arriving at an airport or port and put through some sort of third degree by customs that they have gotten over. Truth is again feds likely know about the trip and unless something else rouses suspicion they just don't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation