Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:56 AM

21,161 posts, read 19,753,224 times

Advertisements

How much of your airline ticket do think should go to the pilots?

Just curious to hear what people think.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:33 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,335,550 times
How much of my airline ticket doesn't really matter. Airline industry have enormous fixed costs such as fuel, leasing, etc. that cannot be changed anyways. Pilots should have a decent salary that enables them to have a good life without doing some night shift at walmart so that they would be sleepy on the job. I would suggest a similar range as for other professional jobs such as engineers or doctors. If that is 1% or 20% of the airline ticket isn't really relevant for me.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
How much of my airline ticket doesn't really matter. Airline industry have enormous fixed costs such as fuel, leasing, etc. that cannot be changed anyways. Pilots should have a decent salary that enables them to have a good life without doing some night shift at walmart so that they would be sleepy on the job. I would suggest a similar range as for other professional jobs such as engineers or doctors. If that is 1% or 20% of the airline ticket isn't really relevant for me.
So you think you pay your pilots about as much as you pay for a doctor visit or engineer consultation, or for an operation or project?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,335,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So you think you pay your pilots about as much as you pay for a doctor visit or engineer consultation, or for an operation or project?
Nope, I think their monthly salary should be in the same range as of doctors or engineers.

Of course, pilots are usually treating more "patients" at the same time, up to 550 in A380, so the pay per visit would be much lower. But the number how much I pay for a single "treatment" by a pilot is just not of any specific importance, unless it is about a private flying lesson or whatever.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,607,565 times
Quote:
Nope, I think their monthly salary should be in the same range as of doctors or engineers.

Of course, pilots are usually treating more "patients" at the same time, up to 550 in A380, so the pay per visit would be much lower. But the number how much I pay for a single "treatment" by a pilot is just not of any specific importance, unless it is about a private flying lesson or whatever.
Doctors tend to range 160K to 1.5MM.
Degreed engineers tend to range 50K to 135K.
Not the same range

Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 AM

557 posts, read 607,841 times
Thankfully pilot salaries have been coming up a lot the past few years, and the supply for qualified pilots is getting tighter and tighter. My salary has more than tripled in four years, and although I am not an airline pilot, my experience is shared across the aviation spectrum.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:44 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How much of your airline ticket do think should go to the pilots?
This link says airlines spend about 27% of expenses on fuel, 25% on labor, and 13% on aircraft leasing & ownership.
The main labor categories would be air crew (includuig pilot), maintenance, head office, and reservations.

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/...linecosts.html

In 2015, American Airlines' breakdown was:
27% Salaries
22% Fuel
8% aircraft rent, depreciation and amortization

American Airlines | Investor Relations | Annual Reports

Old 05-08-2017, 08:14 PM

902 posts, read 864,370 times
Quote:
Pilots don't work night shifts? What's next, no circadian rhythm flips?

How often in a given month do you think a coworker of mine falls asleep involuntarily?

You don't wanna know.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Okay, fair enough. I realize that a pilot is serving many people at the same time for hours as opposed to say a doctor who may see many people individually over several hours. The President of the United States serves 320 million people and only makes $400,000 (along with a lot of other priceless perks).

But I wonder, for example, if an airline said that your ticket price will cover all expenses other than paying the pilots, how much would the average passenger be willing to pay the pilots that they entrust their life to? Just asking from a pilot's perspective to see how much pilots are valued monetarily.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,026,725 times
The salary shouldn't be a % of my ticket bc it breeds contempt for economy fares vs business and first class. Their wages shouldn't be wholly determined by the rate I get. I think the base salary should be 200k minimum with adjustments if you're forced to be based in certain high COL areas.
But to answer your question, I think if you let the public decide what to tip the pilot, I think it's going to be disappointing bc many people are cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation