Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:33 AM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times

Advertisements

video re-posted again another link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGDl5WS0yk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:40 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
During the Vietnam war, I sometimes found myself having to spend the night on a carrier on Yankee Station, before returning to my ship up on PIRAZ Station. Unable to sleep, I often watched night recoveries and was always amazed by the differences in the way pilots landed. The A-4 was my favorite. No matter where they were in relationship to the flight deck moments before landing, I never saw an A-4 pilot miss an approach. The pilots could always adjust, often dramatically with hummingbird-like maneuvers. The F-111 was at the opposite end of the spectrum. It seemed they almost always missed the wire on the first approach and had to go around, sometimes more than once. F-4 pilots, on the other hand. seemed to be able to land with a smooth, robot-like consistency. F-8's were a bit more dodgy in this respect, but oh how the Navy fighter pilots loved them (they had "guns").

Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
During the Vietnam war, I sometimes found myself having to spend the night on a carrier on Yankee Station, before returning to my ship up on PIRAZ Station. Unable to sleep, I often watched night recoveries and was always amazed by the differences in the way pilots landed. The A-4 was my favorite. No matter where they were in relationship to the flight deck moments before landing, I never saw an A-4 pilot miss an approach. The pilots could always adjust, often dramatically with hummingbird-like maneuvers. The F-111 was at the opposite end of the spectrum. It seemed they almost always missed the wire on the first approach and had to go around, sometimes more than once. F-4 pilots, on the other hand. seemed to be able to land with a smooth, robot-like consistency. F-8's were a bit more dodgy in this respect, but oh how the Navy fighter pilots loved them (they had "guns").
When were the F-111s used on carriers off the Vietnam coast? Only seven F-111B prototypes were built, were they used as testbeds for some reason? The Navy scrapped plans for the F-111 as a carrier-based aircraft and ditched them in favor of the F-14.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
OK, then my memory was bad. But there was one pretty big plane from that era that had a tough time landing on carriers. It might have had two engines under the wings.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
When were the F-111s used on carriers off the Vietnam coast? Only seven F-111B prototypes were built, were they used as testbeds for some reason? The Navy scrapped plans for the F-111 as a carrier-based aircraft and ditched them in favor of the F-14.
They did CARQUALs in 1968, but not off Viet Nam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxDV9y5Is64

Old 03-06-2018, 04:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
OK, then my memory was bad. But there was one pretty big plane from that era that had a tough time landing on carriers. It might have had two engines under the wings.
the biggest thing i can think of that landed on a carrier regularly, then and now, would be either a C2 greyhound;

or an E2 hawkeye;

another fairly large aircraft that regularly flew off carriers was the A6 intruder;

Old 03-06-2018, 05:08 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:

I think you're talking about the best-looking carrier aircraft ever, the A-5 Vigilante.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the biggest thing i can think of that landed on a carrier regularly, then and now, would be either a C2 greyhound;

or an E2 hawkeye;

another fairly large aircraft that regularly flew off carriers was the A6 intruder;
Actually all three of those planes are fairly small.

Quote:
I think you're talking about the best-looking carrier aircraft ever, the A-5 Vigilante.
Yep, probably. It was designed to carry a strategic nuke in an internal bomb bay. Turned out when fully loaded it was too heavy for the cats and even empty almost too heavy to trap. That's why it was turned into a recon aircraft.

A KC130 did do launches, no wire landings and touch and goes off a carrier in 1963.

C-130 Carrier Landing without Hook | Military.com

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-06-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 05:44 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Douglas A-3 "Skywarrior" more commonly called the "Whale"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-3_Skywarrior

I have read that, ironically, pilots who graduated in the bottom half of their class were more likely to be assigned to this plane. As if it took less skill to land this big old bird?

It's one of the larger planes to ever be based on carriers.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
like one of these?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation