Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:23 PM

17,603 posts, read 13,388,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
You do know that something like 99.99999% are people TSA examines are neither terrorists nor would-be terrorists, right?

Maybe you don't.

Anyway, that's how it works. You don't identify a security threat and then search them. You search people in order to identify security threats. Further, even most targeted security systems include a randomized element as part of their search practices - for rather obvious reasons.
All TSA does is make people who are afraid to get on an airplane feel better

We are no safer or less safe today than we were on 9/10

The TSA is useless unless we allow profiling and real screening like in Israel and Europe.

Until then, they are a boil on the behind of every honest traveller!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,679,795 times
Talking VIPR: Because why should train passengers get to avoid mandatory "freedom grope" and irradiation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I haven't taken a plane in 35 years. I've been coast to coast and up and down both coasts and deep into Mexico by train. No TSA searches. And the scenery is spectacular, nothing you will ever see from a plane or a car or a bus on the highways.
No worries, they'll get around to it soon -- this week they were up and running at Penn Station, so you can expect the full TSA experience at other Amtrak stations in the near future.

Just look for the snazzy Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response team (VIPR) uniforms.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,535,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
<>both genders.
BOTH genders? Have you lost count again? How about we check All Genders?
"Just trying to be inclusive"

Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,719,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I haven't taken a plane in 35 years. I've been coast to coast and up and down both coasts and deep into Mexico by train. No TSA searches. And the scenery is spectacular, nothing you will ever see from a plane or a car or a bus on the highways.
How did you get to Mexico? Train system doesn't look very good in Mexico.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,025,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
They do so no matter how slight the risk such a person statistically poses. The screening process seems more interested in political correctness than in preventing actual terrorism. It is an extremely cumbersome process. I've seen bunches of white Caucasian women lined up with baby strollers all going through the metal detector despite the fact that such a person with a baby is extremely unlikely to commit a terrorist act.

We've abandoned good sense and we spend about $6 billion a year to fund TSA too.
What do you expect when you hire a bunch of idiots?

They're not the top of their game. They're a bunch of rejects. We haven't had a competent TSA since early 2000s. Just as soon as they were granted a bunch of extra power they went to garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Its all meaningless anyway. Like George Carlin said, its just all these bells and whistles made for middle class white people to feel safe. I have a regular customer who works at the airport, you wont even believe how many times (according to what he told me) they failed equipment tests and what not. The TSA is overreaching most of the time.
You could strap a bomb to your chest and they'd probably miss it.

It's not just the equipment that fails, the people fail all the time.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I also ponder whether victim cards need expiration dates. Yes, terrible unforgivable things happened 'way back when. I doubt TSA made a point of looking her up before subjecting her to some extra abuse.

They will expire one day. You too.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,036,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She is 4'9 and uses a walker, at that age and physical ability she should have some recourse available to bypass "some" of the tsa inspection. That should be available to anyone in that condition not just survivors.

Her and her sister have been in a few documentaries about the holocaust. They were experimented on by Dr Mengele
When my mom used to travel with her walker they were especially careful screening it. They pulled at each part to see if it would come apart anywhere. Apparently the walker frames, being metal, can be used to hold bad evil things.

But while waiting for my mom's walker to be screened I did see a cane that the TSA guy pulled at the curved part and it came off with a knife in it. The poor old man forgot about that on his cane...he lost it too.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:02 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,144,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
All TSA does is make people who are afraid to get on an airplane feel better

We are no safer or less safe today than we were on 9/10

The TSA is useless unless we allow profiling and real screening like in Israel and Europe.

Until then, they are a boil on the behind of every honest traveller!
You think they don't profile? A Muslim friend of mine from Pakistan has been in the US for 8 years now. He always gets called for the "random check" at O'Hare, so much so that he learnt to keep extra time for the security check.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:25 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
You think they don't profile? A Muslim friend of mine from Pakistan has been in the US for 8 years now. He always gets called for the "random check" at O'Hare, so much so that he learnt to keep extra time for the security check.
If your friend is a stand-up guy, just going about his business like a regular joe, which I don’t doubt he is, I can understand his frustration and annoyance at constantly apparently being singled out.
However, I don’t have the statistics, but if you consider that a great deal of attacks in the western world, e.g. France, Spain, Sweden, Belgium, U.K. Germany, and Australia are reported to have been perpetrated by alleged Muslims, usually shouting “Allahu Akbar!” (God is great), as they raise their knives to stab people unfortunate enough to happen to be there, or drive trucks and other vehicles into crowds on sidewalks or in markets, then it’s not so much of a surprise if security personnel view Muslims a bit warily.
I am reminded of an item on the BBC TV news in London a few years back, when there was a ground swell of public indignation at the alleged disproportionate amount of young black men seemingly targeted by LE in “stop and search” operations, maybe “stop and frisk” in the U.S.
A cop, his face pixelated, and his voice disguised, was questioned about the situation by a reporter.
He said something along the lines of, “if you’ve been mugged, or threatened maybe four times, and on three of those occasions the perp had been wearing red shoes, your warning antenna would rise if a guy in red shoes approached you in the street.”

Old 03-07-2018, 06:41 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
I was born and raised in the USA. I'm a white female who's Catholic and every single time I fly, I am patted down. My bags are almost always searched. I'm tested for explosives every single time I'm patted down. This happens at every single airport I fly out of - all over the nation. So how do you explain that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation