Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:33 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Research suggests that less than 50% of people would actually take a vaccine if one was available and there isn’t one.

Take away all the restrictions currently being placed on airlines and we’ll soon see who wants to fly.

I think a lot of people will be surprised by how many people still want to fly and enjoy their lives.

I’ve got my fingers crossed that the crazy man in the White House might be just the person to say enoughs, enough......

As others have mentioned, leisure travel is only a fraction of the travel industry. The bigger question will be business travel. If businesses are saving millions/billions on travel costs during the pandemic and have realized that it is not "critical," how many will be willing to dump millions/billions back into travel even when travel restrictions are lifted? The airlines industry has an extremely tough road ahead.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 10:44 AM

14,415 posts, read 14,337,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As others have mentioned, leisure travel is only a fraction of the travel industry. The bigger question will be business travel. If businesses are saving millions/billions on travel costs during the pandemic and have realized that it is not "critical," how many will be willing to dump millions/billions back into travel even when travel restrictions are lifted? The airlines industry has an extremely tough road ahead.......
So much can be done now over the internet that I have wondered about a lot of things that we've insisted on doing in person.

I'm a lawyer and until coronavirus, I had regularly been appearing in court for hearings. Since coronavirus we've doing hearings on webex and zoom. I've noticed that there are no real complaints being made. However, the potential for cost savings--that can be passed on to clients--is large. If all these hearings continue to be done virtually after the pandemic it is going to work a sea change in this profession.

I think after this is all over, bosses in all occupations will begin to realize just how inefficiently much business has been conducted for literally decades. I see much business travel disappearing permanently.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:25 PM

1,129 posts, read 471,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So just pretend like Covid 19 doesn't exist? Are you really serious?

This is one of the most dumb and irresponsible suggestions I have ever heard made.

If the airlines all go bankrupt its not the end of the world. When the epidemic is over and we have an effective vaccine, people will form airlines again. The industry will be rebuilt.

I've been a huge flyer in the past. However, I wouldn't fly now if the seats were for free and no restrictions existed.
I never said pretend the virus doesn’t exist?

Lockdowns and masks aren’t working, all they are doing is killing business.

Excess deaths around the world are now no longer above the average for the time of year, deaths peaked in April and came down fast, which is a pattern previous coronavirus outbreaks have had.

Today most people being tested and are subsequently positive don’t even know they have the virus because they have little or no symptoms.

Whether people like it or not the only way forward is to protect the vulnerable and the rest of us get on with our lives, if your immune system is working, you’ve got nothing to fear.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I never said pretend the virus doesn’t exist?

Lockdowns and masks aren’t working, all they are doing is killing business.

Excess deaths around the world are now no longer above the average for the time of year, deaths peaked in April and came down fast, which is a pattern previous coronavirus outbreaks have had.

Today most people being tested and are subsequently positive don’t even know they have the virus because they have little or no symptoms.

Whether people like it or not the only way forward is to protect the vulnerable and the rest of us get on with our lives, if your immune system is working, you’ve got nothing to fear.
Two hundred and ten thousand dead Americans tell us that we have much to fear from the coronavirus.

Than we have to consider all the people who have had coronavirus who will suffer some permanent injury or disability because of it.

Nor, is the end in sight. Various projections tell us that another 50,000 to 100,000 may die by the end of the year.

We have much to fear from this disease, sir, whether you can see that or not.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:45 PM

1,129 posts, read 471,011 times
Quote:
Two hundred and ten thousand dead Americans tell us that we have much to fear from the coronavirus.

Than we have to consider all the people who have had coronavirus who will suffer some permanent injury or disability because of it.

Nor, is the end in sight. Various projections tell us that another 50,000 to 100,000 may die by the end of the year.

We have much to fear from this disease, sir, whether you can see that or not.
People die in their thousands every day, most of the 200,000 you mention didn’t die of Covid at all, they died with it, a very big difference.

Those who died of coronavirus, according to the CDC, had an average of 2.6 comorbidities, meaning more than two chronic diseases along with COVID-19. Overall, the CDC says, just 6% of the people counted as COVID-19 deaths died of COVID-19 alone.

I’m not playing down those deaths but things need to be kept in perspective which unfortunately they aren’t.

The average age of death in the USA is 78.6 years

The average age of death for a Covid patient is a lot higher, I’d give you the exact figure but this is being censored on the internet, go figure, but most independent reports are saying around 82.

The long term effects you mention are also the same for most other diseases and these cases are extremely rare but are great headlines to keep us on our toes, can’t let us get complacent...

The fact is, unless you are extremely ill or old you have little to fear from Covid, even the cdc say that if you are under 50 you have a virtually 100% survival rate

You may want to believe all the overreaction but I do not, and many more are starting to realize this is more about control than disease.

I’m not worried about dying, I am however getting a little worried about not living, you should be too.

Last edited by britinspain; 10-06-2020 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-07-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
People die in their thousands every day, most of the 200,000 you mention didn’t die of Covid at all, they died with it, a very big difference.

Those who died of coronavirus, according to the CDC, had an average of 2.6 comorbidities, meaning more than two chronic diseases along with COVID-19. Overall, the CDC says, just 6% of the people counted as COVID-19 deaths died of COVID-19 alone.

I’m not playing down those deaths but things need to be kept in perspective which unfortunately they aren’t.

The average age of death for a Covid patient is a lot higher, I’d give you the exact figure but this is being censored on the internet, go figure, but most independent reports are saying around 82.

The long term effects you mention are also the same for most other diseases and these cases are extremely rare but are great headlines to keep us on our toes, can’t let us get complacent...

The fact is, unless you are extremely ill or old you have little to fear from Covid, even the cdc say that if you are under 50 you have a virtually 100% survival rate

You may want to believe all the overreaction but I do not, and many more are starting to realize this is more about control than disease.

I’m not worried about dying, I am however getting a little worried about not living, you should be too.

Nick Cordero and many of the other "young and health" who died from COVID wishes this were true........

Old 10-07-2020, 06:32 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,474,479 times
Airlines received pandemic funds relief. Clearly they re allocated the funds to other projects and NOT to the employees.

American airlines 4.7 BILLION to use as they please and 1.7 BILLION in low interest loan.

So no I've little concern for this industry. Mismanaged funds and now employees baffled that they are waiting in an unemployment line, gate 8. Please have your handouts ready! Your in for a turbulent ride, welcome to our world airline staff.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Your post is full of false information. People who die have a death certificate filled out by a physician. To believe that most of these people died of something else, but with covid in their system is to believe that there is a conspiracy of physicians to falsely list the cause of death on death certificates. That simply is not the case. Almost everyone who dies has a "co-morbidity" or factor contributing to their death. Its like saying something like "the man died of being too fat, but a heart attack contributed to it". In fact, the cause of death was a heart attack regardless of the man's dietary habits.

The average age of death in the USA may be 78.6, but Covid 19 has become the third leading cause of death in this country. The two leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer. For something to come out of nowhere and become the third leading cause of death in a matter of months, tells you how serious this disease really is.

Many of us--including myself--are not under fifty. I'm 61 and my wife is 60. She has one of those awful co-morbidities you speak of. She has insulin dependent diabetes. As such, she has a much greater risk of dying from Covid than others do despite having taken excellent care of herself.

Our country has not overreacted to Covid 19 and the best evidence of this is that we have about 20% of all deaths from Covid, but only about 7% of the population of this world. Quite the contrary, many states have made little to no effort to control the disease.

I am worried about being deathly sick from Covid and while worrying does not help, intelligent people should be concerned enough about it to wear masks in public and to socially distance.

Frankly, I view posts like yours as a disservice and even dangerous.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Your post is full of false information. People who die have a death certificate filled out by a physician. To believe that most of these people died of something else, but with covid in their system is to believe that there is a conspiracy of physicians to falsely list the cause of death on death certificates. That simply is not the case. Almost everyone who dies has a "co-morbidity" or factor contributing to their death. Its like saying something like "the man died of being too fat, but a heart attack contributed to it". In fact, the cause of death was a heart attack regardless of the man's dietary habits.

The average age of death in the USA may be 78.6, but Covid 19 has become the third leading cause of death in this country. The two leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer. For something to come out of nowhere and become the third leading cause of death in a matter of months, tells you how serious this disease really is.

Many of us--including myself--are not under fifty. I'm 61 and my wife is 60. She has one of those awful co-morbidities you speak of. She has insulin dependent diabetes. As such, she has a much greater risk of dying from Covid than others do despite having taken excellent care of herself.

Our country has not overreacted to Covid 19 and the best evidence of this is that we have about 20% of all deaths from Covid, but only about 7% of the population of this world. Quite the contrary, many states have made little to no effort to control the disease.

I am worried about being deathly sick from Covid and while worrying does not help, intelligent people should be concerned enough about it to wear masks in public and to socially distance.

Frankly, I view posts like yours as a disservice and even dangerous.
Agree. I am 39 and consider myself to be in very good shape (no chronic diseases/comorbidities, not overweight, exercise, eat healthy), but I still do not want to risk catching it (and any potential long-term problem) even though statistically my projected survival would be very high.

Even though based on my profile, I'd likely have mild or no symptoms, there have been "young and healthy" including kids who have had serious symptoms or death. Why risk it???

Old 10-07-2020, 07:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Airlines received pandemic funds relief. Clearly they re allocated the funds to other projects and NOT to the employees.

American airlines 4.7 BILLION to use as they please and 1.7 BILLION in low interest loan.

So no I've little concern for this industry. Mismanaged funds and now employees baffled that they are waiting in an unemployment line, gate 8. Please have your handouts ready! Your in for a turbulent ride, welcome to our world airline staff.
AA spends $3.5b/month just existing. Airlines are an extremely cash intensive business and require a significant amount of expensive assets before even one flight can push. And the margins are insanely low for such requirements. The money airlines received to continue payroll didn't even cover their payroll expenses for the six months requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation