Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It sucks for them but they're going to be in the shoes of a lot of us.

Agree it was kicking the can. That can has to stop. We can't keep going into debt over it. Maybe their high earners should do something with their salaries to help bail themselves out? We know that will never happen... It didn't happen when my hubs employer was facing bankruptcy. It was workers like my hub that took the pay cut.
I would gladly take a pay cut if it meant it would make my company viable again.

But the fact of the matter is, all labor could work for free at my company and we'd still lose $750 million a month. That pretty much goes for every other carrier out there (numbers are different because of company size though, but relatively speaking).

Imagine if "the internet" were shut off, how would Amazon fair? That's essentially what's happened to air travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 12:17 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What you and others fail to do is explain why airlines are entitled to a boost and no one else is. Many groups have been hurt by what coronavirus has done to this economy. It is not limited to airlines and the travel industry. For example, restaurants have been badly hurt. Movie theaters and the entire entertainment industry has been hurt.

I've never accepted the idea that there is some specific reason why airlines and the people who work for them are entitled to something that others are not getting. If airlines go out of business and if the people who work for them are laid off, this will reverse itself when the coronavirus is brought under control with a vaccination program. Airlines can be rebuilt or reestablished.
Comparing restaurants and the entertainment industry, with a vital part of the transportation grid, is nonsensical.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Comparing restaurants and the entertainment industry, with a vital part of the transportation grid, is nonsensical.

Not if you own a restaurant or bar and everything you have is tied up into it.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:44 PM

23,882 posts, read 33,614,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would gladly take a pay cut if it meant it would make my company viable again.

But the fact of the matter is, all labor could work for free at my company and we'd still lose $750 million a month. That pretty much goes for every other carrier out there (numbers are different because of company size though, but relatively speaking).

Imagine if "the internet" were shut off, how would Amazon fair? That's essentially what's happened to air travel.
My husband hauls new cars, factories were shut down. It sucks being in our shoes.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:39 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,870,355 times
Airlines have to make it to about Easter. Then things will get roaring again.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:27 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It sucks for them but they're going to be in the shoes of a lot of us.

Agree it was kicking the can. That can has to stop. We can't keep going into debt over it. Maybe their high earners should do something with their salaries to help bail themselves out? We know that will never happen... It didn't happen when my hubs employer was facing bankruptcy. It was workers like my hub that took the pay cut.
Southwest's CEO will not take a salary in 2021 and all executives will take a 20 percent pay cut.

I agree with the idea of not kicking the can down the road. I didn't really like it when they got the first round of subsidy, but at the time it was sold as a way of tiding the airlines over until demand returned, which at the time was believed to be in a few months' time. Thus, I could see the logic in a temporary band-aid measure. But here it is, seven months later, and demand is still way down with no end in sight. We simply cannot prop up the airlines forever.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Southwest's CEO will not take a salary in 2021 and all executives will take a 20 percent pay cut.

I agree with the idea of not kicking the can down the road. I didn't really like it when they got the first round of subsidy, but at the time it was sold as a way of tiding the airlines over until demand returned, which at the time was believed to be in a few months' time. Thus, I could see the logic in a temporary band-aid measure. But here it is, seven months later, and demand is still way down with no end in sight. We simply cannot prop up the airlines forever.
Happy to hear that, I wonder how much 20% of their salary is and if more could be cut.

Other companies need to follow.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:34 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Trump doesn't take a salary either but that doesn't change the deficit...........

It's bad math with the airlines, every empty seat per flight is a loss that can't be made up.....ever. They lose money with planes sitting, planes 1/2 full and paying employees to stay home. Subsidies are essentially the same as burning $100 bills in a metal drum for heat........ short term fix but not a solution to the problem.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:38 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,799,524 times
Good news, folks. China's got our back. They are buying American commercial airlines. The irony is the Wuhan virus which caused the recession came from the country that is now buying depressed American commercial airlines as the result of the recession.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature...worried-163702

Last edited by davidt1; 10-11-2020 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Good news, folks. China's got our back. They are buying American commercial airlines. The irony is the Wuhan virus which caused the recession came from the country that is now buying depressed American commercial airlines as the result of the depression.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature...worried-163702
Wow, scary to think what they're planning to do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation