Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 07:33 AM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
They are quoting one week at the end of March beginning of April but again without showing full details, the US is terrible at being clear on healthcare statistics, a graph means nothing unless you have the full statistics to back it up and you and they don’t.

If you feel better though looking at graphs here’s one released this week by Florida showing the deaths from Covid https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-...-resized-1.jpg

Around the world Covid deaths went through the roof the weeks they are speaking about but quickly dropped, last week in the UK more people died at home in accidents than of Covid-19

This story is in the papers this morning showing the average age of death for Covid patients in the Uk is 82.4 years https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...AVID-ROSE.html whilst dying from all other causes is 81.5 years.

I’ve posted a link to actual daily UK statistics here for the full year previously which cannot be argued against, and that clearly shows data that no more people are now dying day to day than for the last 5 years and it’s been this way since the end of May.

All we hear is case numbers in the press because they sound dramatic,

Broke down Covid deaths are now one of the least to worry about.

If they reported the actual daily deaths statics in the US and showed the actual numbers people would rip off their masks and get on with their lives.

I’m not downplaying the disease I’m putting in perspective.
When I have more time, I'll give even more numbers. I think the fact that you are choosing to dispute the numbers when my source is Scientific American says much about you and the argument you are trying to make. Do you honestly believe Scientific American is just making all these numbers up? This is one of the most credible publications in the United States when it comes to issues of science and technology.

I'm seeing more and more of this. People without any background in medicine or science are convinced they know more than the CDC, Dr. Redfield, Dr. Fauci, and the physicians on coronavirus task force. I think there is a desperate need to try to deny the severity of Covid 19 by some. They have this idea that if they can get everyone to ignore the disease that somehow life is just going to go back to the way it was before the virus. Its not going to happen. A large chunk of us are not going to fly until an effective vaccine is available. Your efforts would be better spent trying to hasten the development of that vaccine than trying to deny the severity of coronavirus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 AM

1,129 posts, read 471,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When I have more time, I'll give even more numbers. I think the fact that you are choosing to dispute the numbers when my source is Scientific American says much about you and the argument you are trying to make. Do you honestly believe Scientific American is just making all these numbers up? This is one of the most credible publications in the United States when it comes to issues of science and technology.

I'm seeing more and more of this. People without any background in medicine or science are convinced they know more than the CDC, Dr. Redfield, Dr. Fauci, and the physicians on coronavirus task force. I think there is a desperate need to try to deny the severity of Covid 19 by some. They have this idea that if they can get everyone to ignore the disease that somehow life is just going to go back to the way it was before the virus. Its not going to happen. A large chunk of us are not going to fly until an effective vaccine is available. Your efforts would be better spent trying to hasten the development of that vaccine than trying to deny the severity of coronavirus.
You search away, you won't finds anything you can use that isn't just a graph or someone's opinion, I know because I've tried, no matter how respected the source without the facts its meaningless.

I've presented you with cold hard data https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

Please use the link, download the latest statistics, this clearly measures all data and shows the number of deaths per week and breaks these down by age, sex, cause of death and how many people were registered to have died with Covid.

Unarguably this gives a clear picture of the virus in England and Wales, this is a population of 67 million.

I'd love to compare this with other countries but like I say most don't disclose this information for at least a year.

Due to the devastation being caused to people lives now its important that the correct decisions are being taken by our leaders and listening to all available evidence.

If you want to believe what you are told by governmental departments when everything around you points to that information being wrong that's up to you.

You say you are seeing more of this, that's because people are finally waking up and seeing that people are not dropping dead in the street the way they were told they would and that most people who test positive for Covid have little or no symptoms.

I prefer to weigh up the facts and think for myself.

I have no problem with you or anyone else not flying or even going about your normal life.

I do have a problem with my life being interrupted for no good reason, and when actual deaths from covid are so small in the scheme of things, there is simply no justification for the continued repressive measure being taken.

The sensible way forward is to gain herd immunity gained by letting those of us who are healthy or wiling enough to go about our lives, those who are vulnerable should be protected, if this happened Covid would take the path of all other Coronvirus of the past and fade out over the next 18 months or so, all we have done so far is waste 10 months by trying to hide, and this has just prolonged the the problem.

Last edited by britinspain; 10-09-2020 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 08:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Robin View Post
Ummmmm, yes. Tell us the truth know it all. They continued to shirk their responsibility’s. Well documented stories showed them allowing people to discard masks, they openly stopped cleaning planes. Those two things set them back. There are and have been plenty of states that pretended this was not a real threat. So people could been traveling.
Wow you are delusional!

Old 10-09-2020, 09:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The House approved a stand-alone bill to extend another financial lifeline to domestic commercial airlines. It died in the Senate due to a lack of support from Republicans. In is not tied up in the Pork laden Hero’s Act.

Blatant misinformation. The House did no such thing. There was no bill for the Senate to consider. Trump proposed a stand-alone airline relief package and had Mnuchin start discussion with Pelosi. Pelosi killed it. It's the GOP that supports stand-alone targeted relief and Dems that insist on a massive total package.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi quashed talk of a separate bill to mitigate airline industry layoffs without also aiding other industries and households and funding for schools, nationwide COVID-19 testing and more.
"There is no stand-alone bill without a bigger bill," Pelosi said at her weekly press conference Thursday.
https://www.rollcall.com/2020/10/08/...elief-package/

Old 10-10-2020, 06:56 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,655,614 times
2 different articles. I personally don't know what to think. I'd love everyone get on with their lives but my 7 year old grandson, 27 year old daughter and myself have immune issues, catching COVID could be fatal for us.

They want to start opening school October 19th. We got 2 phone calls the other day, an employee tested positive at an elementary school my grandson doesn't go to and another at the middle school not far from me. They supposedly contact traced and disinfected the areas the employees accessed. School hasn't even started yet. I can't imagine how many phone calls we'll get.
COVID-19 hospitalizations climb again in NJ, raising worries of new surge
Quote:
New Jersey hospitals now have 652 COVID patients, which is higher than it’s been for several weeks but significantly less than mid-April when hospitals had 8,000 COVID-19 patients in one day.

On Sept, 23, New Jersey had 430 new COVID-19 cases. Over the past several days, that total has been creeping higher. On Thursday, Gov. Phil Murphy announced an additional 1,301 cases, the highest single-day total recorded since May.

Murphy on Thursday said that 11 people had died the previous day, brining the confirmed total to 14,373.

For those New Jersey residents who still don’t think COVID-19 is so bad, the governor delivered a pointed message, repeating that COVID-19 is not "just like the flu." In seven months, COVID-19 has killed about as many people in New Jersey as a decade's worth of flu deaths
Listen to the doctors and scientists: reopen EVERYTHING now
Quote:
The good news is that medical experts and doctors are pushing back. New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy has often said he is "listening to the science." Really gov? Ya sure? Because there are now more than 12,000 doctors, epidemiologists, infectious disease experts, scientists and other medical practitioners who have signed a letter explaining why the entire nation must open immediately. So we now have thousands of docs and scientists all putting their reputation on the line signing a declaration explaining what smart people have known and been saying for months: Protect the vulnerable and open EVERYTHING.

Quote:
Fortunately, our understanding of the virus is growing. We know that vulnerability to death from COVID-19 is more than a thousand-fold higher in the old and infirm than the young. Indeed, for children, COVID-19 is less dangerous than many other harms, including influenza.

As immunity builds in the population, the risk of infection to all – including the vulnerable – falls. We know that all populations will eventually reach herd immunity – i.e. the point at which the rate of new infections is stable – and that this can be assisted by (but is not dependent upon) a vaccine. Our goal should therefore be to minimize mortality and social harm until we reach herd immunity.

The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity, is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk. We call this Focused Protection.

Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:27 AM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Blatant misinformation. The House did no such thing. There was no bill for the Senate to consider. Trump proposed a stand-alone airline relief package and had Mnuchin start discussion with Pelosi. Pelosi killed it. It's the GOP that supports stand-alone targeted relief and Dems that insist on a massive total package.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi quashed talk of a separate bill to mitigate airline industry layoffs without also aiding other industries and households and funding for schools, nationwide COVID-19 testing and more.
"There is no stand-alone bill without a bigger bill," Pelosi said at her weekly press conference Thursday.
https://www.rollcall.com/2020/10/08/...elief-package/
What you and others fail to do is explain why airlines are entitled to a boost and no one else is. Many groups have been hurt by what coronavirus has done to this economy. It is not limited to airlines and the travel industry. For example, restaurants have been badly hurt. Movie theaters and the entire entertainment industry has been hurt.

I've never accepted the idea that there is some specific reason why airlines and the people who work for them are entitled to something that others are not getting. If airlines go out of business and if the people who work for them are laid off, this will reverse itself when the coronavirus is brought under control with a vaccination program. Airlines can be rebuilt or reestablished.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,266,483 times
Quote:
What you and others fail to do is explain why airlines are entitled to a boost and no one else is. Many groups have been hurt by what coronavirus has done to this economy. It is not limited to airlines and the travel industry. For example, restaurants have been badly hurt. Movie theaters and the entire entertainment industry has been hurt.

I've never accepted the idea that there is some specific reason why airlines and the people who work for them are entitled to something that others are not getting. If airlines go out of business and if the people who work for them are laid off, this will reverse itself when the coronavirus is brought under control with a vaccination program. Airlines can be rebuilt or reestablished.

I failed to explain it because it is not my point and I am not in favor of it. I was simply responding to the partisan factual innaccuracy of someone claiming the House passed an airline relief bill and the Senate blocked it, when the provable facts are that Trump proposed it, that Pelosi opposed it, that there was no House bill, and therefore the Senate did not block anything.

I agree with you about picking industry winners and losers. If the feds (us) are going to pay for the airlines then they might as well own the airlines.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:20 AM

17,413 posts, read 22,168,513 times
The airlines are in trouble, air travel is way down (about 75%) from the TSA's numbers:
https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

Then add the crazy costs of airlines overhead, no wonder Jet Blue is losing 9mm a day, Southwest was losing 20mm!
Most businesses are gone if they lost 1mm in a year. Fact is: of the 4-5 major US carriers we are likely going to lose 2 of them, the fare buying demand has shrunk to levels that can't support all of them. So now consider those employees will have no place to go, the other airlines will not be able to absorb them because they are too overstaffed also.

So giving more money simply kicks the can further down the road, tough decisions need to be made. The same is for other industries, car rentals/hotels/restaurants are all going to have the same issue......low attendance/patronage.

It sucks for the employees involved and I can't see it going back to full speed anytime soon.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:38 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,655,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The airlines are in trouble, air travel is way down (about 75%) from the TSA's numbers:
https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput

Then add the crazy costs of airlines overhead, no wonder Jet Blue is losing 9mm a day, Southwest was losing 20mm!
Most businesses are gone if they lost 1mm in a year. Fact is: of the 4-5 major US carriers we are likely going to lose 2 of them, the fare buying demand has shrunk to levels that can't support all of them. So now consider those employees will have no place to go, the other airlines will not be able to absorb them because they are too overstaffed also.

So giving more money simply kicks the can further down the road, tough decisions need to be made. The same is for other industries, car rentals/hotels/restaurants are all going to have the same issue......low attendance/patronage.

It sucks for the employees involved and I can't see it going back to full speed anytime soon.
It sucks for them but they're going to be in the shoes of a lot of us.

Agree it was kicking the can. That can has to stop. We can't keep going into debt over it. Maybe their high earners should do something with their salaries to help bail themselves out? We know that will never happen... It didn't happen when my hubs employer was facing bankruptcy. It was workers like my hub that took the pay cut.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,018,505 times
Quote:

So you're basically advocating the entirety of the airline industry should be allowed to go broke, and liquidated through the bankruptcy courts.

The result would be the federal government operating the domestic airline system for an indefinite period. Suggest you read up on the Penn Central Railroad and Conrail.

Whether the government subsidizes the airline industry now, or takes over operations later, it's going to cost a lot of money.

Having no airline system at all for an undetermined period, is a no go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation