Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM

14,484 posts, read 14,460,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
I’d love that to have more meat on the bones with actual data to back up the statement.

I’d also like to know why he thought that

At its peak in April Covid was killing more people a day than cancer but today more people are dying of accidents https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-09...lA4/index.html

Unless you are American......
Here is the actual "meat on the bones" that backs up my statement. I assume an article from Scientific American is a reputable source to you? Look at the graph. Coronavirus is the third leading cause of death in this country and for one brief month was actually the leading cause.

I really wish you would stop irresponsibly trying to downplay the seriousness of this disease. Its the biggest public health crisis since the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...th-in-the-u-s/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 01:05 PM

13,751 posts, read 12,565,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As others have mentioned, leisure travel is only a fraction of the travel industry. The bigger question will be business travel. If businesses are saving millions/billions on travel costs during the pandemic and have realized that it is not "critical," how many will be willing to dump millions/billions back into travel even when travel restrictions are lifted? The airlines industry has an extremely tough road ahead.......
The term "critical" is a bit like "elective surgery" or "cosmetic surgery." One cannot simply lump them all together.

Now, this isn't exactly apples to apples but my company has on a few occasions tightened the travel purse strings when things were looking tight midway through the FY.

Old 10-08-2020, 05:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,546,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Robin View Post
The airlines are to blame. They had a chance to demonstrate that their actions were safe. They stopped cleaning, did half a job at it and let customers dictate their actions.
They could have taken a stronger stance, but like Trump they shrugged it off as nothing.
Ummm...not even close to accurate. Blame the airlines? Seriously?

Old 10-08-2020, 06:30 PM

10,430 posts, read 8,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm sorry they're losing their jobs for now but it was bound to happen. My hub delivers new cars, factories shut down. Back in March, he had dealers refusing to take their loads. Work decided to close until some time in July. My hub got a job at Sam's club to pay our bills. There are jobs out there. My hub just went back to work 2 weeks ago because he fractured his hand at Sam's club. I can't even begin to say how horrible it has been for us. Thankfully the mortgage company put it on hold.

They're very fortunate to have been spared this long.
I hope things work out for you. Terrible run of luck for you guys.

I have an acquaintance who is young. 25 and is a pilot for deltA. He just bought a Ferrari. I would have waited until the covid thing got sorted out in case he got laid off. But maybe he sitting on a pile of cash.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:37 PM

12,198 posts, read 6,391,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Some airlines will fold, and sell their assets to others.

Some will merge.

When Americans do start flying again in about a year, they will discover fewer flights, higher prices, and meaner skies.

It won't be the airlines with excellent service that survive. It will be the ones that ruthlessly laid people off and cut every penny to stay open.

In about five years, the industry will recover back to approximately where it was in 2019.

I would advise flight attendants and baggage handlers to be retraining for another profession. By the way, freight is a different world and is barely affected by the pandemic.
Yeah well, freight doesn't wear masks or need ICU beds. Doesn't need flight attendants either.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:42 PM

12,198 posts, read 6,391,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So just pretend like Covid 19 doesn't exist? Are you really serious?

This is one of the most dumb and irresponsible suggestions I have ever heard made.

If the airlines all go bankrupt its not the end of the world. When the epidemic is over and we have an effective vaccine, people will form airlines again. The industry will be rebuilt.

I've been a huge flyer in the past. However, I wouldn't fly now if the seats were for free and no restrictions existed.
A lot of people traveling for business will have no choice but to fly when airlines go back to full operations and hotels are fully open. That or quit, which you don't quit in a falling economy.

My fear is that vacation travelers will simply not lose their fear of flying for a long time. Business travel alone isn't enough to sustain everybody.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:09 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,926,695 times
Quote:
The airlines are to blame. They had a chance to demonstrate that their actions were safe. They stopped cleaning, did half a job at it and let customers dictate their actions.
They could have taken a stronger stance, but like Trump they shrugged it off as nothing.
Seems to me most who have suspended recreational air travel have done so due to a concern with proximity to other passengers who may be shedding the virus.

Sitting on a flight for 2- 12 hours while wearing a mask is not most people’s idea of fun.

Then there’s the pesky matter of destination. Most desirable international destinations will not admit US passengers. Hawaii requires arrivals from the mainland to quarantine for 14 days.

Hundreds of thousands of people typically flew to port cities to board cruises. Well, that is not happening.

Millions flew to Las Vegas, Orlando and Chicago for the big trade shows and conventions. Not any more.

Businesses are finding Zoom meetings are a reasonably cost effective alternative to business travel.

Not going to be a v- shape recovery for air travel., tourism and hospitality.

The House approved a stand-alone bill to extend another financial lifeline to domestic commercial airlines. It died in the Senate due to a lack of support from Republicans. In is not tied up in the Pork laden Hero’s Act.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Ummmmm, yes. Tell us the truth know it all. They continued to shirk their responsibility’s. Well documented stories showed them allowing people to discard masks, they openly stopped cleaning planes. Those two things set them back. There are and have been plenty of states that pretended this was not a real threat. So people could been traveling.
When a passenger whips off their mask once airborne, what exactly should the crew do?

Before retiring 15 years ago, I used to fly weekly. It was and remains my perception that a plane is a Petrie dish. I took responsibility for sanitizing my space, then my hands. Took me 20 seconds. One and done.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A lot of people traveling for business will have no choice but to fly when airlines go back to full operations and hotels are fully open. That or quit, which you don't quit in a falling economy.

My fear is that vacation travelers will simply not lose their fear of flying for a long time. Business travel alone isn't enough to sustain everybody.
Airlines cannot go back to full operation unless/ until the masses start packing flight, again. Chicken or egg?

Old 10-09-2020, 12:18 AM

1,129 posts, read 473,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Here is the actual "meat on the bones" that backs up my statement. I assume an article from Scientific American is a reputable source to you? Look at the graph. Coronavirus is the third leading cause of death in this country and for one brief month was actually the leading cause.

I really wish you would stop irresponsibly trying to downplay the seriousness of this disease. Its the biggest public health crisis since the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...th-in-the-u-s/
They are quoting one week at the end of March beginning of April but again without showing full details, the US is terrible at being clear on healthcare statistics, a graph means nothing unless you have the full statistics to back it up and you and they don’t.

If you feel better though looking at graphs here’s one released this week by Florida showing the deaths from Covid https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-...-resized-1.jpg

Around the world Covid deaths went through the roof the weeks they are speaking about but quickly dropped, last week in the UK more people died at home in accidents than of Covid-19

This story is in the papers this morning showing the average age of death for Covid patients in the Uk is 82.4 years https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...AVID-ROSE.html whilst dying from all other causes is 81.5 years.

I’ve posted a link to actual daily UK statistics here for the full year previously which cannot be argued against, and that clearly shows data that no more people are now dying day to day than for the last 5 years and it’s been this way since the end of May.

All we hear is case numbers in the press because they sound dramatic,

Broke down Covid deaths are now one of the least to worry about.

If they reported the actual daily deaths statics in the US and showed the actual numbers people would rip off their masks and get on with their lives.

I’m not downplaying the disease I’m putting in perspective.

Last edited by britinspain; 10-09-2020 at 12:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation