Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 PM

71 posts, read 646,809 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move close to Pennsylvania to be closer to family. I know it's impossible to get jobs in the area my family is from in PA so I am looking at surrounding states... Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, etc.

I have heard the schools in Baltimore can get pretty rough and I would prefer not to work right in the city.... but are there any other areas with decent schools that aren't in a hiring freeze like so many other places? It seems that the few teaching jobs that are available anywhere I have looked easily have hundreds of candidates for just one position. I am certified to teaching elementary education and have 3 years experience.

Any input on the best place to start looking to secure a job for the 2011-2012 school year would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,951,063 times
If you're willing to look at Northern Virginia, Fairfax County is hiring for every subject and every grade level next year. Applications are due in the system by next week, and there are job fairs through the end of the month. Nearby Loudon and Arlington are hiring as well.

We get from Fairfax County to Baltimore in under an hour. The Pennsylvania line is about 2 hours.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 PM

251 posts, read 722,148 times
Baltimore County is has several positions open for teachers, but not many for administrators. However I've been told that the county has 200 positions they are planning to excess (leave vacant) for the coming school year. The county offers lower pay than the city however. Howard county has a handful of positons, but none are administrative as far as I know. PG county is looking mostly for administrators as far as I know.

Job Opportunities with Baltimore County Public Schools, Maryland

Howard County Public School System (http://www.hcpss.org/employment/vacancies.shtml - broken link)

Prince George's County Public Schools

https://www.baltimorecityschools.org/216710114135054353/blank/browse.asp?a=383&bmdrn=2000&bcob=0&c=55932 (broken link)

Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 PM

71 posts, read 646,809 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for your replies! I know its been a while but I didn't see them before. I considered the Fairfax, VA area but it's a little farther from PA than I want to be and the price of housing seems to be extremely high! I have lived in expensive places but rent was always cheaper than what I have seen online in that area. Maybe I didn't search well enough?! I have also heard that Fairfax has job openings but are they difficult to get? Will I be competing against 300 people for one position like I would in Pennsylvania?! Thanks for your help!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

274 posts, read 679,307 times
Also consider private schools in the area...check out AIMS - Website and click on Teachers at the top and then career opps. Also might want to register with Carney Sandoe (job placement for teachers-I believe it's free but it's for private schools).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: