Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,789 times

Advertisements

I moved into my house in Canton in November 2010. My first water bill was as expected and for 4 months of time. My second water bill was for 2 months of time and was twice as much as my first bill ($200). I asked them to do another reading and was given a bill for $498 and the bill didn't make any sense. The total wasn't the sum of its parts.

Is anybody else dealing with similar problems? Any suggestions for fixing?
Attached Thumbnails
Outrageous Water Bills-s_shot-1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 PM

206 posts, read 472,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfranklin221 View Post
I moved into my house in Canton in November 2010. My first water bill was as expected and for 4 months of time. My second water bill was for 2 months of time and was twice as much as my first bill ($200). I asked them to do another reading and was given a bill for $498 and the bill didn't make any sense. The total wasn't the sum of its parts.

Is anybody else dealing with similar problems? Any suggestions for fixing?
Your first bill was $190. This second one says you didn't pay the first, hence the balance and the "Delinquent Account" at the top. And maybe even a $7.50 late charge, I can't read what that is. So this bill is actually $307 on top of the $190 which makes $497. Unless you pay late and then it's $522.

The city meter readers often can't / don't read the meter (it may be blocked, covered, something) and estimate your usage. Then when they finally do read it your usage for the quarter may seem high or low and you get situations where "two months" is a lot more than "four months" of usage. This bill is showing two separate meter readings (or at least estimations) because the rate changes significantly. But the total is for 107 days and the math adds up.

Fixing? Assuming you actually paid the first you may just want to confirm with someone that it was received. And now just pay the new portion of $307. And maybe consider doing online payment in the future so you have an electronic record of a payment instead of just a check. As for fixing why water bills are so high in the first place, that's a long-term neglect kind of thing that we just now get to pay for.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I didn't look at your attachment but an average household of 4 uses about 250-300 gallons/day. Obviously if you're washing your cars a lot or watering a lawn it will be more. If your usage is more than that you may have leaks (check your toilet, they're notorious for leaking without anyone noticing) in the system somewhere.

The meter may be bad, also. Is it a remote/scanner type of meter or does it have visible dials. You can shut all your water off and check to see if the dials are moving to check for leaks.

EDIT: the gallonage I quoted is a somewhat high number if you have low flow fixtures.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-09-2011 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: additional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore