Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times

Advertisements

There has to be more good things going on in Baltimore.

I'm looking for info on the Baltimore Grand Prix, which is this weekend and should be a big deal and I have to dig through pages of how much Baltimore sucks to find a short little thread about grand prix and then it even has a negative tone to it.

I'm not even a race fan, I just thought it would be something interesting to do.

I moved here two years agio and have tried to post positive posts about Baltimore, I have posted photo threads, I have asked questions about specific things to do or attractions and typically I get little to no responses.

Pretty much why I don't post in the forum even though I live 30 minutes away.

I gotta tell you, this forum is depressing. Baltimore people need to cheer up and step up. Baltimore has a lot of potential, but the locals have a chip on their shoulder or have given up or something.

This is just my impression and I post in or at least read a great deal of the city specific forums across city data and Baltimore is probably one of the least friendly and most likely for a thread to turn into (Will I get shot in the face?) thread.

I really hope Baltimore is not this bad. It doesn't seem that bad too me. It has some major urban issues, but those issues can be reversed, unless there is just not enough people interested in reversing it.

Do people in Baltimore County care about the city? AA County? This is a serious question. I get the feeling that the only thing people really care about is the Ravens. Am I getting the wrong impression?

Last edited by kcmo; 09-02-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 AM

187 posts, read 363,678 times
Pessimism is the culture of middle-class Baltimore. It's the single common feature we share. We endear each other by making self-depecrating comments, and blow negative things out of proportion to create a sort of "war-time" bond, because it's the most exciting thing available to us.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Chicago is one of the coolest cities I've ever been to, and you go on their board and you'd think it's Compton.

I live downtown and just about everyone I talk to in my neighborhood and others similar love this place. They typically don't leave unless they have school age kids, and that's a nationwide thing.

Google skyscraper and Baltimore and you'll find great conversations about Baltimore development.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Pessimism is the culture of middle-class Baltimore. It's the single common feature we share. We endear each other by making self-depecrating comments, and blow negative things out of proportion to create a sort of "war-time" bond, because it's the most exciting thing available to us.

I will piggy back on that by saying I believe part of what you are getting is the frustration of most Baltimoreans (atleast those that give a rip) with certain issues and it is certainly based on the fact many of us believe that the city could and should be so much more. So instead of glowing reviews you often get sarcasm and 'flip' comments. I think most folks feel that many of the leaders have turn their backs on sections of the City and given in to big time developers and special intrest groups and the expense of the hardworking citizens. Still I believe that most citizens of Baltimore (note: I said citizens because that implies those that are INVOLVED in the City/neighborhood improvement.. residents simply reside) love their city like a relative that owes you money.. You talk badly about them to other relatives but wouldnt allow someone who is not family to talk badly about them or let them harm them

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
It (Baltimore) has some major urban issues, but those issues can be reversed, unless there is just not enough people interested in reversing it.

And therein lies the rub. After decades of seeing these issues not reversed, but unaddressed by city government (other than lip service at election time) most good citizens of Baltimore have lost interest in any hope of positive change and accepted the situation as it is. Que sera, sera. This assures that the same "leaders" will remain in office, and is just what they desire.

(They) love their city like a relative that owes you money.. You talk badly about them to other relatives but wouldnt allow someone who is not family to talk badly about them or let them harm them.

Amen, Brother. I'll talk crap about Baltimore all day long to fellow residents. But if you're from outside the city limits you'd best keep your mouth shut.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
It (Baltimore) has some major urban issues, but those issues can be reversed, unless there is just not enough people interested in reversing it.

And therein lies the rub. After decades of seeing these issues not reversed, but unaddressed by city government (other than lip service at election time) most good citizens of Baltimore have lost interest in any hope of positive change and accepted the situation as it is. Que sera, sera. This assures that the same "leaders" will remain in office, and is just what they desire.

(They) love their city like a relative that owes you money.. You talk badly about them to other relatives but wouldnt allow someone who is not family to talk badly about them or let them harm them.

Amen, Brother. I'll talk crap about Baltimore all day long to fellow residents. But if you're from outside the city limits you'd best keep your mouth shut.
The unfortunate part is... I have notice that the non native population was increasing prior to the housing bust has ceased. Folks moving into the City from other parts of the Country finding jobs in both Baltimore and DC was giving many neighborhoods a "shot in the arm" in terms of people moving into an area and demanding better services and results from politcos. I remember folks that moved into my neighborhood from Atlanta, Indianapolis, and other communities helped revive our neighborhood association and gave the City hell on issues from trash collection to street improvements. We had several City Staffers and polticos at meetings and you could tell that they were taken aback by this "new blood" of both young and educated residents that were just as knowledgeable of what Cities are and what Cities should be doing... Couple that with the venom from the existing residents who also became empowered because of the boost from the new energy and the group had the City spinning on its heals and things actually got done.. I wish that trendwould have continued so that this affect could have spread to other areas...I agree with BK that many residents have grown tired of fighting and being misledand those that dont move out of town mentally check out and become apathetic. It takes new folks moving in to keep communties thriving.. and thats why issues such as crime, high taxes and poor services are a problem because they deter this from occuring thus leading to stagnation, decline, or the continuation of the status quo..

Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Love it!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM

72 posts, read 150,925 times
Quote:
[i]

Great way to show that Baltimoreans don't have a bad attitude with a chip on their shoulder. Typical way of people in the city to try to be intimidating.

People that have to live with a dangerous failure in their state have just as much right to bad-mouth it; especially when there is spill-over from Baltimore and it's problems.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 PM

342 posts, read 912,208 times
Honestly a lot of it is the fact that washingtonian's flood this form and love to b-more bash every chance they get, its sad man but sooo many people want to talk crap about a place they barely know about!!! This might sound bad but my freshman year in college i knocked a guy in my dorm out for randomly telling me how bmore was a piece of sh** (he was a silver spring resident) idk i love bmore like my drunk uncle, dont talk crap and you dont know em!!!!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:58 PM

90 posts, read 246,631 times
Because 90% of the city is and has at least 1 of the 3 things you listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore