Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 17,768 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I'm going to be moving to Baltimore next month(July) for a new job. Being a gay man, I want to live in a real cool area with lots to do. However, being from small town america, I've never lived in a city before so I'm concerned about safety, etc. So I have read a lot of the stuff here and it sounds like Mount Vernon might be the best place for me. I'm looking at an apartment complex called "Charles Towers". Does anyone know anything about it? Also, can you recommend a better place in Mount Vernon that I may really like? THanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:41 PM

12 posts, read 45,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soshoreqt View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm going to be moving to Baltimore next month(July) for a new job. Being a gay man, I want to live in a real cool area with lots to do. However, being from small town america, I've never lived in a city before so I'm concerned about safety, etc. So I have read a lot of the stuff here and it sounds like Mount Vernon might be the best place for me. I'm looking at an apartment complex called "Charles Towers". Does anyone know anything about it? Also, can you recommend a better place in Mount Vernon that I may really like? THanks so much in advance!
I actually visited there last week as I was looking at a place. Safety wise you are in a good spot, and there is a decent amount to do around the area. The places are nice. One thing you will need to do is speak with them about availability of places, because they only had a handful of things available last week and they seem to get taken quickly. Its a nice complex though.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Awesome, thanks so much. I will call them again tomorrow. Do you happen to know if it is in the Mount Vernon area? Did you rent from there? If not, why?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 45,759 times
Quote:
Awesome, thanks so much. I will call them again tomorrow. Do you happen to know if it is in the Mount Vernon area? Did you rent from there? If not, why?
I only chose not to because it wasn't very close to where I'll be working (between little italy and fells point) so I looked towards that area/canton instead. Also they had nothing that was going to be available for when I needed to move in (last week of june).

I was impressed with the place though, a nice complex in what was a very walkable neighborhood at night. My girlfriend who will be working at hopkins has it as one of her top choices for when she moves down in september.

Another place that is run by the same management company is gallery towers which is only a few blocks away, def worth looking at also.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM

The gallery is nice...but a little out of my price range.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,210 times
Quote:
The Charles Towers aren't in Mt. Vernon; they're downtown. Which is just south of Mt. Vernon, but is kind of dead at night and business-y in the daytime. I think most people would be happier in Mt. Vernon, which IMO is more vibrant and neighborhood-ly and artsy. And definitely more gay!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Thank you. Can you recommend a better apartment complex that is in Mount Vernon?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 AM

9 posts, read 28,075 times
Mount Vernon doesn't really have a lot of apartment complex buildings. For the most part they are renovated rowhomes - broken up into 4-8 units. That said, they can still be nice and I believe would be cheaper than a community building like Charles Towers.

Back when I lived in Mount Vernon, I used a company called Fisher Real Estate, there office was on the 1200 block of St Paul... not sure if they are around anymore.

If you walk the neighbor, you will be able to see no shortage of "apartment of rent" signs.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 AM

418 posts, read 1,734,210 times
One apt. building I can think of is The Severn at 701 Cathedral. I've never been inside, but from outside it's beautiful, and the pictures on the website are pretty nice. It's a great location. (I don't know if the mods will allow this, but the website is The Time Group (http://www.thetimegroup.com/timegroup.aspx?ss=6&id=43 - broken link) If that gets deleted just search for "severn mount vernon".) The company that manages it also manages the Professional Arts Building on Read St., which seems nice. There are a number of apt. buildings that don't have names; you just have to find their listings in the paper.

I also agree with dojinick that many of the best Mt. Vernon apartments are actually in the rowhomes (which in Mt. Vernon are more like brownstones -- many of them are former mansions that have been converted to apartments).

Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,139 times
Depending on your price range, there is also Symphony Center Apartments by David S Brown. People I know who live there seem to like it a lot.

http://www.davidsbrown.com/apartment...ny_center.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore