Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:48 AM

205 posts, read 692,998 times

Advertisements

I am coming to Baltimore for a long weekend at the end of April and will be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on Aliceanna St. Are there any good "flavor of Baltimore" restaurants nearby? We will have car, but if we can find places within walking distance that would be great as well.

Nothing fancy, just a non-chain place with good eats. I know it may be too early in the season to get true Maryland crabs, but wouldn't mind "faking it" with decent seafood.

The Baltimore I know/knew is from years ago partying in Fells Point with my friends, but this time around and hoping to primarily steer clear of the bar scene.

Thank you so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM

99 posts, read 244,098 times
Default Food near Aliceanna Marriott

Not necessarily "Baltimorean" but good restaurants within walking distance (like a few blocks...):

- Cinghiale
- Vino Rosina

And if you stroll down to Fells, one of my absolute favorites:

- The Black Olive: fantastic seafood...

Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 PM

181 posts, read 633,736 times
I recommend two true Baltimore places: Jimmy's in Fells Point, and Sip & Bite on the edge between Canton and Fells Point. You can easily walk to Jimmy's, but Sip and Bit is a bit more of a hike (but a short car drive). Alas, many of the true Baltimore places are fading from the scene, to be replaced by fancy fare.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:48 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Along with what the others said, definitely stop by Blue Moon Cafe for breakfast, it's a short 5 minute or so walk from the hotel. Order the Captain Crunch French Toast. Your tummy will thank you.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Berthas is great. The tapas restaurant on thames is quite good too.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Not sure it's a "Taste of Baltimore" but you are a few blocks from dozens of places in Baltimore's Little Italy....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Attmans, Sabbatinos, Pazo. Can't go wrong with anything in little Italy

Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Miss Shirley's for breakfast in the Inner Harbor....so, so good!

Miss Shirley's Cafe - Baltimore's Best Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch Miss Shirley's Cafe - Baltimore's Best Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch

Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
I stayed at the same hotel last week and enjoyed some of the best pizza I've ever had at Johnny Rad's, which is a a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel. Did not care much for the pizza at Brick Oven in Fells Point. Enjoyed terrific meals at Baba's Mediterranean Kitchen & Thai Arroy in the Federal Hill area. Also in Fells Point, Duda's Tavern, One-Eyed Mike's & Thames Street Oyster House get rave reviews but I didn't make to any of those.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 AM

83 posts, read 447,715 times
Little Italy will be your closest area with non-chain restaurants. Use Yelp to help pick one out.
Save room for dessert at Vaccaro's
Attman's deli has awesome lunch

Walking 15 minutes gets you to Fells Point and a ton of choices
Berthas is a good choice for a "taste of Baltimore"
I'll warn you now that Blue Moon has insane waits at any time approximating breakfast
Avoid Jimmy's. It's low quality diner food that has no redeeming value other than nostalgia. If you want better quality diner food with Baltimore weirdness, Paper Moon is the place but you'll have to drive.
Henningers is very good food with Baltimore charm
Bonaparte bakery is my favorite place to hang out on a Sunday morning

If you are willing to drive, Annabel Lee is where I take people to show them the current (not nostalgic) Baltimore food scene. It's prices are moderate for the quality of the food. It's unpretentious and friendly with character. The menu ranges from pub food to really well done meals. The duck fat fries are out of this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore