Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:52 PM

226 posts, read 413,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I really don't know what the difference in people are in these two cities but I know two things. Philly is more diverse than Bmore and people stop their car and let you cross more so in Philly than Bmore.
hahaha. A version of the opposite. More like in Baltimore you HAVE to stop and let people cross because they just start walking, lights and signs be damned, like "what are you going to do about it?"

Pedestrians here are pretty bad about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM

226 posts, read 413,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It's quite common knowledge that Philly fans are some of the rowdiest and chaotic sports fans in the Western Hemisphere, especially in football LOL
This IS legit. They are. Here's the way I explain it. At any given NFL stadium in any city, you might have a local fan who gets drunk and physically attacks a fan from out of town.

The difference is, only in Philly will you read about the incident on the web and see droves of posters defending the attacker or saying the victim had it coming.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What's your point?
THAT BALTIMORE IS NOT A TRUE NORTHEASTERN CITY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A SIZEABLE PUERTO RICAN AND/OR DOMINICAN POPULATION JUST LIKE PHILLY NOR ARE THEY AS "STREET" AS THE ONES UP IN THE NORTHEAST!!!!

Seriously though, BJ does this every single time Baltimore/Maryland/DC/the general Mid-Atlantic is thrown into the same conversation with places like Boston, Philly, New York, etc. I didn't even know having a large Puerto Rican/Dominican population was purely a Northeastern phenomenon.....After all, its not like Atlanta, Miami (All of Florida really), New Orleans, Houston, etc. have a presence of immigrants from the PR and DR anyways...............

Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
hahaha. A version of the opposite. More like in Baltimore you HAVE to stop and let people cross because they just start walking, lights and signs be damned, like "what are you going to do about it?"

Pedestrians here are pretty bad about that.
That's true! But I have been a walking pedestrian once or twice. And sometimes the cars like to speed around me in the middle of the street

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM

64 posts, read 122,966 times
As a resident of Little Italy in Baltimore, I see very little difference between the more northeastern cities and ours. May be my skewed perception but the differences are moot

Old 01-11-2014, 10:14 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
THAT BALTIMORE IS NOT A TRUE NORTHEASTERN CITY BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAVE A SIZEABLE PUERTO RICAN AND/OR DOMINICAN POPULATION JUST LIKE PHILLY NOR ARE THEY AS "STREET" AS THE ONES UP IN THE NORTHEAST!!!!

Seriously though, BJ does this every single time Baltimore/Maryland/DC/the general Mid-Atlantic is thrown into the same conversation with places like Boston, Philly, New York, etc. I didn't even know having a large Puerto Rican/Dominican population was purely a Northeastern phenomenon.....After all, its not like Atlanta, Miami (All of Florida really), New Orleans, Houston, etc. have a presence of immigrants from the PR and DR anyways...............
If Puerto Ricans didn't leave NYC to go to Philly it wouldn't be a true northeastern city either, right? I mean, that's where they originally came from anyway.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
BaltItaly,

I have a question? What is the future of Baltimore's Little Italy? Where is it going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltItaly View Post
As a resident of Little Italy in Baltimore, I see very little difference between the more northeastern cities and ours. May be my skewed perception but the differences are moot

Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM

64 posts, read 122,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
BaltItaly,

I have a question? What is the future of Baltimore's Little Italy? Where is it going?

Well, take a walk up Exeter Street and you will see about 6 homes being renovated. Many other blocks have demos and work in progress in the neighborhood. The restaurant aspect of it is iffy. The location is great but the demand of many Italian restaurants in the neighborhood isn't as much as it was before Inner Harbor East. I suppose many of the former restaurant buildings will be converted to living space or alternate business. I would love to see an Eataly like in Chicago or NYC. Of course it would be a smaller version.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
"I would love to see an Eataly like in Chicago or NYC. "

*Me as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltItaly View Post
Well, take a walk up Exeter Street and you will see about 6 homes being renovated. Many other blocks have demos and work in progress in the neighborhood. The restaurant aspect of it is iffy. The location is great but the demand of many Italian restaurants in the neighborhood isn't as much as it was before Inner Harbor East. I suppose many of the former restaurant buildings will be converted to living space or alternate business. I would love to see an Eataly like in Chicago or NYC. Of course it would be a smaller version.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Yes! Now you're getting it, T-Pain. But I really didn't need to point this out, did I? You could have just looked up the thread that was in this very forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...tern-city.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If Puerto Ricans didn't leave NYC to go to Philly it wouldn't be a true northeastern city either, right? I mean, that's where they originally came from anyway.
Actually, a lot of Puerto Ricans are migrating from the island to Philadelphia. Between 2006 and 2011, 25,000 Boricuas moved to Pennsylvania. Only Florida and New York had higher numbers. Philadelphia is the sixth most popular destination for Puerto Ricans behind Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Springfield (MA), and New York.

http://www.academia.edu/4298905/Demo..._United_States

But does it really matter? The bottom line is that they're in Boston, NYC and Philly, and add a cultural dimension to these cities that's found throughout most cities in the Northeast. And Puerto Ricans are just as much a part of the region's identity as Jews, Italians and the Irish.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-11-2014 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore