Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 AM

219 posts, read 405,660 times

Advertisements

Inside the City: Roland Park, Mt. Washington, or Woodberry.

Outside the City: Ellicott City or White Marsh

Please don't get intimidated by people focusing on the negatives. Baltimore has a lot to offer and its really not that hard to avoid crime, blight, and negativity is you really want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I see we have a new poster who is going to make it their goal on here to keep everyone from moving to Baltimore, and instead commute from places like Philly and DC. Zach Sowers is a tragic story, no doubt about it, but it was more than 6 years ago and thousands and thousands of people have lived in that area and passed through and haven't been murdered. The story even was the main cog in getting the State's Attorney to lose re-election. So a terrible negative was turned into a small positive and a reason for change.

Since DC is so great, why don't you google some of the murders they've had in the last 12 months in great areas like Capitol Hill, Woodley Park, and Columbia Heights or a triple shooting they had in Georgetown two Halloweens ago.

I'm not trying to put down DC, but for you to hold an area accountable because of one incident six years ago is flat our ridiculous and absolute trolling. Take just about any are in the last 6 years, many considered as safe as anywhere, and you'll find some really tragic incidents.

It is a great area, and it is not perfect, but the chances of you getting murdered there are incredibly, incredibly low.

"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments."

I see that several people on this thread have recommended places to the OP other than the JHH campus area or directly south, and you didn't jump on them. Why not? A couple have even said that the OP should not live in Baltimore City, yet not a peep out of you. Why not?

Yet you and your buddy criticize me for mentioning a murder that happened six years ago, and emphasize that it was SIX YEARS AGO, as though the chances of a crime like that happening again are diminished by time. Time may heal the wounds of those affected, but it doesn't make the streets any safer. What does make the streets safer? A change in conditions at the street level, such as, the elimination of poverty, violence and other social conditions that breed crime, more police protection, etc. Looking at what we can control, has that area had more police protection in the past six years? I haven't seen any neighborhood in Baltimore City that has had an increase in police in the past six years; and I am not talking about meter maids. If you want more people to consider moving into that area, you need to complain to the thieves in city hall to get more police protection instead of jumping on an intelligent, informed forum member who is trying to provide useful information to an out of towner looking to move to Baltimore.

Several years ago I was speaking with a man who had just moved to Baltimore from DC. He bought a small two story rowhome in SE Baltimore and his real estate taxes at that time were over $6,000 a year. That was before the real estate run up or the great crash so God only knows what they might be now. $6,000 a year, and where are the city services??

Last edited by james777; 10-24-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 02:34 PM

206 posts, read 472,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
"What does make the streets safer?
Certainly not you trying to scare people on a message board.

I think KLynch10 had it about right - your earlier statement was trolling, and there wasn't a personal attack on you.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
Certainly not you trying to scare people on a message board.

I think KLynch10 had it about right - your earlier statement was trolling, and there wasn't a personal attack on you.

Calling someone a troll is a personal attack on that person.

I ask a simple question "what make the streets safer", and you say I am trying to scare people? So I guess this is not a discussion board; it is only a mouthpiece for a couple of rude loudmouths who wish to dominate it. And you all wonder why people don't want to move to Baltimore. LOL Straighten up, grow up, get on your best behavior and stop attacking forum members for no reason, maybe then prospective Baltimoreans might not be afraid to ask questions about the area.

Last edited by james777; 10-24-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore