Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,469 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Baltimore sometime this month because of my husband's job relocation. We are Arabic and Muslim and wondering what are some good areas in or around Baltimore to live where we can raise a family (we have 3 kids) with a mosque close by and good schools. Would love to live somewhere diverse. My husband will be working in Baltimore close to downtown and doesn't mind driving an hour to get to and from work. I've been doing some research and the city Columbia keeps getting my attention. Seems like good schools, somewhat affordable, and not that far from Baltimore. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 04:09 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,694 times
Columbia prides itself on being inclusive and diverse. There are several interfaith centers, at least one of which seems to include a Muslim congregation.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,807,568 times
Default Take your pick

Some of the oldtimers may remember the old Garland's garden store on Ingleside Avenue in Westview. Guess what? A copper cupola under construction signals that the remodeled building will be a mosque.

And if you can picture where the Baltimore Hebrew is at the northeast corner of Park Heights and Slade/Smith. The white mansion across the street at that corner also is a mosque.

I don't know about how Baltimore compares in tolerance but mosques are cropping up in all kinds of places. And I am not talking about the Nation of Islam, either.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
There's a large Arabic/Muslin presence in Catonsville/Winsdor Mill.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,735 times
Catonsville, Ellicot City, Woodlawn have a high Arab/Muslim population. In fact, Route 40 has many Halel markets and such. Upper Baltimore has a larger Jewish population. They won't bother you but you may be looked at weirdly if you go into a kosher market.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:29 PM

109 posts, read 202,048 times
I don't understand this. You automatically assumed most of the population will have some sort of discrimination just because you are Muslim or Arab....You are doing reverse discrimination. Most of the area is pretty tolerant to racial diversity. .But to have a mindset like your, telling me you are basically assuming discrimination.......
Even I don't live in MD anyway, please don't move if you have this kind of mindset..

p/s I am not White btw and I grew in Muslim country....so yes

Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM

225 posts, read 429,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
I don't understand this. You automatically assumed most of the population will have some sort of discrimination just because you are Muslim or Arab....You are doing reverse discrimination. Most of the area is pretty tolerant to racial diversity. .But to have a mindset like your, telling me you are basically assuming discrimination.......
Even I don't live in MD anyway, please don't move if you have this kind of mindset..

p/s I am not White btw and I grew in Muslim country....so yes
The original poster didn't say anything about discrimination, I think you are seriously deluded. She asked where would be a good area, meaning, a nearby mosque and good schools. Would you tell a christian or jew looking for a particular church/synagogue that they were "doing reverse discrimination" (which is not a thing, there is only discrimination)?? Even if she WERE asking about possible discrimination, I would not be offended considering the climate towards muslims in parts of the US. If you are not from here it would be confusing and a real concern, considering the harassment that muslims (and even people that get confused with muslims, like the Shieks) have faced. I think her questions are perfectly understandable.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM

74 posts, read 122,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxengineerxx View Post
I don't understand this. You automatically assumed most of the population will have some sort of discrimination just because you are Muslim or Arab...
Maybe she won't get discriminated against as an Arab, because most of the Arabs in the US are white and come from the Levant area (they are not real Arabians from the Gulf). But as a Muslim, her assumption is correct. Better believe that if you are of the brown race or your attire gives away that you are Muslim, the overwhelming majority of this country hates you. They may not show it right away, they may smile in your face even. But trust me, they hate you. Her question is perfectly legitimate.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 AM

381 posts, read 814,164 times
Baltimore is a little bit xenophobic. Northern Virginia would be a better bet for Muslims.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 AM

225 posts, read 429,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbers101 View Post
Maybe she won't get discriminated against as an Arab, because most of the Arabs in the US are white and come from the Levant area (they are not real Arabians from the Gulf). But as a Muslim, her assumption is correct. Better believe that if you are of the brown race or your attire gives away that you are Muslim, the overwhelming majority of this country hates you. They may not show it right away, they may smile in your face even. But trust me, they hate you. Her question is perfectly legitimate.
I think saying an "overwhelming majority" in this country hate muslims is going to far. I think a small minority actually hates (rabid tea baggers, basically), and there is a larger percentage that is afraid for no good reason (being sheltered and whipped up by talk radio and fox news and unchallenged community norms), but I would bet that in Baltimore city the vast majority of people do not have any hatred or fear of muslims at all. I can't say that with confidence about places that are more rural. I think the biggest issue is *where* such feelings are concentrated... and I think the answer is, like it has been for so long for so many people, "not in the cities".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: