Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:38 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Why Downtown when you can live in Fells and walk to Harbor East? (besides $, of course)

Rowhome living versus living in an historic renovated highrise totally different. Some people like having a door man, valet, garage parking, snow removal, gym vs on street parking, a yard, stoop, exterior maintenance... etc.....They like to live, if I can quote from the 70s TV show 'The Jeffersons' ..*.movin on up.. to a delux apartment in the skkkkkkky highhhhh...*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 PM

556 posts, read 946,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Why Downtown when you can live in Fells and walk to Harbor East? (besides $, of course)
I chose downtown mostly because it's easier for car-free living - I like being walking distance from lightrail, metro, and the Circulator. I also wanted a professionally managed building (versus renting an apartment from someone who just bought and renovated a single row house). As an added bonus, I have laundry in my apartment, reliable package delivery/acceptance, and access to the gym without leaving my building.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
[quote=Woodlands;33165216]Rowhome living versus living in an historic renovated highrise totally different. Some people like having a door man, valet, garage parking, snow removal, gym vs on street parking, a yard, stoop, exterior maintenance... etc.....They like to live, if I can quote from the 70s TV show 'The Jeffersons' ..*.movin on up.. to a delux apartment in the skkkkkkky highhhhh...*[/quote]

LMFAO

Old 01-26-2014, 03:47 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Rowhome living versus living in an historic renovated highrise totally different. Some people like having a door man, valet, garage parking, snow removal, gym vs on street parking, a yard, stoop, exterior maintenance... etc.....They like to live, if I can quote from the 70s TV show 'The Jeffersons' ..*.movin on up.. to a delux apartment in the skkkkkkky highhhhh...*
Ok well somebody had to so I guess I'll post it!

the Jeffersons intro theme song(Movin on Up) - YouTube

Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,187 times
Is Howard Street considered part of downtown? Why has it not been developed? The light rail is there and a few restaurants, but the street is a dump. What are the plans? It has so much appeal.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I think Harbor East and other waterfront areas are great for downtown. It's so close to downtown, most people not from the city probably think it's all the same place.

While there may be some businesses moving from the CBD to Harbor East etc, those buildings will be back filled with companies or residential while a new part of downtown is developing from the ground up which will help stabilize the CBD and keep it vibrant and viable. Think of it as Downtown simply getting larger and more mixed use in the process.

Count your blessings that Downtown's main competitor seems to be a close by neighbor that will probably compliment downtown vs suburbs 20 miles away. Imagine if the companies that left for Harbor East went out to the county instead. Now you have empty downtown buildings AND barren empty lots where Harbor East is developing. No economic activity in the downtown area at all.

It's good for downtown, might even force the CBD to step it up or at least diversify and become more mixed use and 24 hour by replacing 9-5 offices with residents, a main reason Harbor East is so popular (because it's more mixed use).

Old 01-27-2014, 03:34 AM

64 posts, read 122,988 times
Read news about the Australian made Tindo Solar panel

This may not happen in my lifetime but it's coming. More and more cities are planning carless terrains and that sets up the downtown core to be in a good place.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Is Howard Street considered part of downtown? Why has it not been developed? The light rail is there and a few restaurants, but the street is a dump. What are the plans? It has so much appeal.

Howard Street WAS downtown.. It was the closest thing Baltimore had to a Main Street. All the big department stores and major shopping lined Howard Street... it declined like everthing else as stores moved to the suburbs.. Then the Light Rail was built down it.. and from what I understand.. the years it took to construct it.. then when it reopened it was restricted to trains/buses.. later cars were allowed to return.. All of these factors.....killed it.. It is slowly.. VERY SLOOOOWLY coming back especially on the southern end near the arena/stadiums and the northern end near State Center. Eventually if the 'super block' project that was stalled ever come back on line it should fill in.. Howard Street still has alot of commercial/retail on it though certainly catering only to a certain income/demographic.. who patronize the stores mainly because of their proximity to transit. There is a modest streetscape going on mainly attached to the light rail stations but I think eventually things will improve....

Old 01-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Ok well somebody had to so I guess I'll post it!

the Jeffersons intro theme song(Movin on Up) - YouTube

yep.. who would want to live in the same building as Mr. Jefferson.. and have a Dry Cleaner downstairs..a wife named Weezy and a neighbor like Tom Willis......Ah the good life....he would be a great guy to have come to parties...

Old 01-27-2014, 08:54 AM

95 posts, read 170,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Howard Street WAS downtown.. It was the closest thing Baltimore had to a Main Street. All the big department stores and major shopping lined Howard Street... it declined like everthing else as stores moved to the suburbs.. Then the Light Rail was built down it.. and from what I understand.. the years it took to construct it.. then when it reopened it was restricted to trains/buses.. later cars were allowed to return.. All of these factors.....killed it.. It is slowly.. VERY SLOOOOWLY coming back especially on the southern end near the arena/stadiums and the northern end near State Center. Eventually if the 'super block' project that was stalled ever come back on line it should fill in.. Howard Street still has alot of commercial/retail on it though certainly catering only to a certain income/demographic.. who patronize the stores mainly because of their proximity to transit. There is a modest streetscape going on mainly attached to the light rail stations but I think eventually things will improve....
Howard Street area is now designated "Westside." I used to work near there, and it was mainly populated by lower income people catching the bus or lightrail to hang out all day in Lexington Market.

We did have some former tenants move into one of those deluxe apartments in the building formerly a Hecht's back in the 70s. They were doctors from out of the country and had recently been robbed in the otherwise "safe" Hampden neighborhood. Thus they wanted the peace of mind of living in a place with a doorman.

The CBD still has T. Rowe Price headquartered there through 2024 I think, which keeps at least one anchor around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: