Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,432,491 times

Advertisements

*This is an interesting article that is sparking much debate on local Baltimore radio.

[b]Baltimore, merchants seek relief for a beleaguered Lexington Market

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...et-master-plan

As the city mulls an overhaul of the market, officials say cleaning up the area is vital to success

March 08, 2014|By Scott Calvert, The Baltimore Sun
The pill peddlers were busy on Eutaw Street. Up and down the sidewalk they shuffled, hawking a variety of goods — methadone, the anxiety drug Xanax and other prescription medications — in a street code repeated over and over.
"Bukes and bars, bukes and bars," one man said rhythmically, slang for the buprenorphine strips used to treat heroin addiction and bar-shaped Xanax tablets.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-07-2014 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Fixing busted link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,458,523 times
I'm surprised LM isn't policed more aggressively.

My dad used to take me there when I was small, Faidley's, Andy's for cheesesteaks, loved the bakeries, loved walking around and seeing almost any local meat, produce, fish, any part of a pig you could ever want, good stuff!

I go during my annual jury duty pilgrimage, but not much besides that. Last time I went, I took the kids and it was pretty grimy, even the stall folks were kinda standoffish at first. Hey man - I'm here to spend money and enjoy your place, liven up!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 AM

775 posts, read 1,786,291 times
You mean the "World Famous" historic Lexington Market is bad? The Baltimore Sun is all over that- ten years too late.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 PM

620 posts, read 1,074,322 times
The crab cakes and oyster bar are still as good as ever. It is a funny crowd with many characters.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM

566 posts, read 1,558,350 times
It always intrigues me that Faidley's is an oasis of regular people, whereas just a few feet away, either on the street or in the market, the passersby are such a decidedly different crowd. The surrounding area doesn't faze me but it has absolutely terrified some out-of-town visitors I've brought there.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:04 PM

8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
It always intrigues me that Faidley's is an oasis of regular people, whereas just a few feet away, either on the street or in the market, the passersby are such a decidedly different crowd. The surrounding area doesn't faze me but it has absolutely terrified some out-of-town visitors I've brought there.

You are right.. this is what is truly amazing about this place.. most visitors that I have seen come into Faidleys from off of Paca Street and dont venture into the rest of the market.. All of the "characters" tend to avoid Faidleys all together because some of the same "characters" work at Faidleys behind the fish bar jealously protect their employer and usually are quick to run out any riff raff.. which leads me to believe that if one is employed they are more likely to increase their lot in life.. I remember a woman who was working behind the counter walked over to a tourist and gave her a folksy rebuke for having her purse sitting next her on the bar table as she dined near the door. She picked up the purse.. gave her a warm warning and helped her position the strap around her neck where it couldnt be snatched off....if this woman took her apron off she would have blended right in with the rest of the characters mulling around the food court...

Old 03-26-2014, 09:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,533,174 times
I wouldn't say it terrifies me but frankly I don't think it's such a great market anymore. Years ago they had some great vendors there, now it's basically Faidleys and a few others, nothing spectacular and not worth dealing with the hassle to get in and out of. It's a shame the market has gone downhill, other cities still have great markets that are clean, have great food options and are worth the visit. Lexington is just another victim of the downfall of West Bmore.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:53 AM

775 posts, read 1,786,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
The crab cakes and oyster bar are still as good as ever. It is a funny crowd with many characters.
It's all fun and games until someone gets a gun in their face.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 AM

566 posts, read 1,558,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I wouldn't say it terrifies me but frankly I don't think it's such a great market anymore. Years ago they had some great vendors there, now it's basically Faidleys and a few others, nothing spectacular and not worth dealing with the hassle to get in and out of. It's a shame the market has gone downhill, other cities still have great markets that are clean, have great food options and are worth the visit. Lexington is just another victim of the downfall of West Bmore.
Agreed. Most of the vendors have limp produce, cheap cuts of meat, or fried food. There's not a lot of quality to be found. At least there's still a Berger's stand.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,267,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
It always intrigues me that Faidley's is an oasis of regular people, whereas just a few feet away, either on the street or in the market, the passersby are such a decidedly different crowd.

That reminds me of a passage in "Homicide: A Year On the Killing Streets". A homicide detective is asking a patrol policeman about the residents of the four houses on the corners of an intersection.

Detective: Who lives in that house over there?

Patrolman: A bunch of winos.

Detective: How about that house?

Patrolman: A bunch of junkies.

Detective: That house?

Patrolman: Winos and junkies.

Detective: That house?

Patrolman: You know, I think some real people live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore