Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 AM

67 posts, read 119,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Here is an option if you are able to buy an new condo. It is supposed to be a vast improvement over the typical housing in the Woodlawn/Gwynn Oak/West Baltimore area: Luxury Bozzuto Homes in Baltimore | Uplands - Bozzuto

I lived in a rowhouse in the Edmondson Height area of Gwynn Oak while I was working. It is a lower-middle class, mostly African-American community. The houses were built in the 50's and 60's. It is not great, but it is more affordable than Catonsville. You can get a bus to work, but the connections are poor, and you should allow an hour to go 5 about miles. (Google Maps will show you bus routes.)

I like Catonsville. The housing stock is similar to Edmondson Heights, but better kept and a bit more expensive. Again the bus connections are lousy, and I would recommend driving to work if you have parking.

Towson is a good area if you have the budget for it, and can work out the transportation.
goldenage1,

Thank you very much. I love the website you recommended. I'm checking them out now. Lots of GREAT information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,856 times
You mentioned that you are not an urban person. Are relatively densely-populated suburbs too crowded for you? Or do you prefer a more country-like setting?

I think Towson might be too urban for you. Mount Washington, while it straddles the Baltimore City-County line, feels like a leafy green suburb. Here are some apartment complexes in Mount Washington: Bonnie Ridge (Bonnie Ridge Apartments - Home Properties - Quality Apartment Communities), Twin Ridge (Apartments in Baltimore County | Twin Ridge Apartments), and Mount Washington Apartments (Mt. Washington Apartments in NW Baltimore, Mount Washington Apartments).

If you like regular suburbs, Owings Mills might be a good fit for you. If you want to go a little further out into the country, try looking in Carroll County (Finksburg, Eldersburg, Westminster, etc.), or even Howard County (Ellicott City, Woodstock), though Howard County can be expensive.

I hope I'm not throwing too many suggestions at you, but it's best to do as much research as possible to find the place that works the best for you and your family.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:18 AM

Hello everyone,

(Tears) of JOY!

You all are the BEST!
Based on the information that you all have provided to me I have begun to put my information in order for my move.
I also found a fantastic website Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I'm going to drive down to the Towson/Owens Mill area next weekend. I'm also going to stop by the Baltimore VA so that my husband can get an idea of how far it will take him to get to work.

WOW! You all ROCK!

I was feeling really depressed and down. Now, I'm feeling hopeful again

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:48 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:21 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,585 times
To quote you: "Pennsylvania is not a forward moving state. Their laws are premitive and archaic ( I think I spelled these words right - typing fast - lol). I do not find the people in the Philly area friendly or cordial at all. Albeit, that has not changed me. I'm still the old-fashioned, considerate person I was raised to be (born and raised in VA)."

You describe yourself as old-fashioned but complain that Pennsylvania is not a forward moving state?

Maryland, particularly Washington and most of the suburbs between Baltimore and Washington, is infamous for being a cold and "busy" place to live. The environment is suburban and transient. It's not Mayberry. You're not going to find the people in the urbanized or suburbanized areas of Maryland to be more friendly and cordial than the people who live in Philadelphia and its suburbs. You do find friends and a community by seeking out institutions, such as a place of worship or clubs, not by neighborhoods, and it's true for both Maryland and Pennsylvania.

If you want to move to Maryland in order to have shorter commutes, then that is a feasible reason, not what seems to be a bizarre quest for a friendlier place. Compared to your lengthy commutes in New Jersey and Delaware, you will find Towson, Woodlawn and Catonsville blissfully close to your office. Woodlawn is the cheapest of the three areas and the most suburban. Towson and Catonsville are older areas with a mix of new and old neighborhoods and Towson in particular has a higher density downtown area. They are comparable to the older suburbs outside Philadelphia.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
You mentioned that you are not an urban person. Are relatively densely-populated suburbs too crowded for you? Or do you prefer a more country-like setting?

I think Towson might be too urban for you. Mount Washington, while it straddles the Baltimore City-County line, feels like a leafy green suburb. Here are some apartment complexes in Mount Washington: Bonnie Ridge (Bonnie Ridge Apartments - Home Properties - Quality Apartment Communities), Twin Ridge (Apartments in Baltimore County | Twin Ridge Apartments), and Mount Washington Apartments (Mt. Washington Apartments in NW Baltimore, Mount Washington Apartments).

If you like regular suburbs, Owings Mills might be a good fit for you. If you want to go a little further out into the country, try looking in Carroll County (Finksburg, Eldersburg, Westminster, etc.), or even Howard County (Ellicott City, Woodstock), though Howard County can be expensive.

I hope I'm not throwing too many suggestions at you, but it's best to do as much research as possible to find the place that works the best for you and your family.

sobo16,

I prefer suburban to country-like; either will do.
No, you are not throwing out too much information. I love information; my life is built on making decisions based on my information. This is MORE helpful than you will ever know.

For all that it's worth, I truly hope that when you need assistance for anything that people are available for you. Because (TEARS) you have given me hope again with your information. I was feeling so lost in the past few days I felt so beat and tired.

violamr

Old 09-04-2014, 12:12 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
I agree with the above, the Uplands is an oasis of beauty in the area. As I'm from around that area, I will say that it's not the most beautiful and a bit rough. If you're looking for country areas, I would check out Ten Hills and Westgate as they have some beautiful homes with a scenic ambiance . I would also check out Violetville on the Arbutus border not far from Catonsville. Violetville is probably one of the best secret locations in that area. It's so convienent to 695 and Washington Blvd that traffic would be marginal.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
To quote you: "Pennsylvania is not a forward moving state. Their laws are premitive and archaic ( I think I spelled these words right - typing fast - lol). I do not find the people in the Philly area friendly or cordial at all. Albeit, that has not changed me. I'm still the old-fashioned, considerate person I was raised to be (born and raised in VA)."

You describe yourself as old-fashioned but complain that Pennsylvania is not a forward moving state?

Maryland, particularly Washington and most of the suburbs between Baltimore and Washington, is infamous for being a cold and "busy" place to live. The environment is suburban and transient. It's not Mayberry. You're not going to find the people in the urbanized or suburbanized areas of Maryland to be more friendly and cordial than the people who live in Philadelphia and its suburbs. You do find friends and a community by seeking out institutions, such as a place of worship or clubs, not by neighborhoods, and it's true for both Maryland and Pennsylvania.

If you want to move to Maryland in order to have shorter commutes, then that is a feasible reason, not what seems to be a bizarre quest for a friendlier place. Compared to your lengthy commutes in New Jersey and Delaware, you will find Towson, Woodlawn and Catonsville blissfully close to your office. Woodlawn is the cheapest of the three areas and the most suburban. Towson and Catonsville are older areas with a mix of new and old neighborhoods and Towson in particular has a higher density downtown area. They are comparable to the older suburbs outside Philadelphia.

Hey Tallybalt,

lol. Thanks for your reply. I'm old fashioned in the way I was raised - respect others, use manners, be polite, speak when spoken to, that sort of old fashion.

I do think that when it comes to adopting contemporary laws for their people, PA is a bit primitive. People are more open and want change to reflect their social and personal lives without being harrassed and made to feel ashamed of the way they choose to live their life (breastfeeding in public, transgender bathrooms. . . ). I know it's taking things a bit far and I apologize. Although I'm not doing those things, there are people who are.

I'm on the other side of my life (51) and looking forward to retiring . I currently live in the Plymouth Meeting area in PA.

violamr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore